Breaking: ESPN conspired with AAC to take 3-5 teams to AAC

Admittedly, I don’t really know how these contracts work. There might be some more media $$$ savvy people here that can answer the questions about this (arkstfan?).

But don’t Big 12 teams get around $37m/yr for their media rights? AAC teams get around $7m?

So if you’re the Big12 leftovers, don’t you just add teams that you think can bring something to the table for now, and try and use the time until rights expire in 2025 to jockey for position…. or do you stand pat with the current 10? 

Texas-OU have enough money to buy their way out. ESPN gonna give the others enough dough to make up the buyout and the difference? They ready to give the AAC that much more money in year 1?

Yeah, they are screwed the next go round, but it’s not like they can’t go get the AAC money any time they want.

So, while I wouldn’t put it past AAC/ESPN to try it, I just don’t see how it could be done from a financial angle. This just seems to be grasping at straws. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, C Rod said:

Usually I am good at math, but this one I can't figure out:

How much is 37 million minus lawyers fees?

• Haha 1

First: poor Big12. I’m sure they would never do anything like that to save their own skin

Second: regarding ESPN, (according to a UT buddy of mine) supposedly part of the deal between UT and ESPN is UT is owed $100 mil over the next few years from ESPN for the LHN. Either future payments or combined with what they owe from the past. It costs UT $75 mil to get out of the big12. So…..for ESPN (who is losing their butt on the LHN) they’re motivated to help UT get out of the big12 by getting UT to agree to some things on the LHN. How that is structured, I don’t know. Maybe it’s a “hey, we want to use the money you owe us to pay the Big12” ESPN perhaps recoups some of the LHN loss? 

• Upvote 1

that $37 million a year per school for media rights is not going to happen with out Texas and OU in the Big12

It does seem that ESPN does not view the remaining schools in the B12 as a power conference, clearly they see more media money in adding them to the AAC.  

It's not like ESPN did not have 1.06 billion reasons of its own to help the B12 implode, but I'm wondering if UT and/or OU may have nudged them a bit so they could avoid paying their own exit fees.  This could get very ugly fast.

24 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

that $37 million a year per school for media rights is not going to happen with out Texas and OU in the Big12

It does seem that ESPN does not view the remaining schools in the B12 as a power conference, clearly they see more media money in adding them to the AAC.

As far as I’m aware, that $37m doesn’t go anywhere until 2025 as long as the Big12 stays in business. It should be at least partially mitigated by the fact that Longhorn Network and Sooners whatever it is are separate for their home games. I could be wrong on that, because I have no idea what outs there are in these contracts.

But, it makes sense that that’s WHY ESPN would want them to go to the AAC (if there’s any truth to it and not just the Big12 commish running damage control). It’s much cheaper, even if they modified the agreement with the AAC to include more money. 

But for the Big12 teams individually, it probably makes more sense to poach the AAC than to get in bed with them for less money. Then, in 2025, it’s every man for themselves, if the Big Purge hasn’t happened yet (pretty sure it will have). 

• Upvote 1

Remember when the AAC advertised themself as a P5 conference 2 or so years ago in their AAC commercial?  So do they now lie to recruits about not being a G5?  
Anxious to see how that group handles this new “pay for play” program & we don’t have to do much guessing how one will do it—probably did before it got officially approved, 

Has the NCAA completely lost it as far as promoting an amateur product?  You might get the feeling that none of this is going to end well for the biggest abusers who are not in a Super Conference. 

🦅