Missouri’s Top 8 To Be Their New AD (with a nice pic of Mason & Wren)

5 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

If Wren leaves I think I’d prefer that it be while Smatresk is still here. 

Amen to that. Neal has had a ton of involvement in some home run hires. 

I think Neal is the best president this university has had because of his involvement in everything but also willing to sacrifice more for athletics. I feel like that hasn’t happened before, but I would like to know what the older crowd has to say about that.

• Upvote 6

46 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I just hope we put forth an effort to make this a difficult decision. 

I'd think that this will be a difficult decision for Wren.  He likes the administration that he is a part of.  He likes the area.  He makes a decent salary here but I'm sure Missouri pays a lot more.  He has some unfinished business here that he would probably like to accomplish.  But...he may like Columbia, the Missouri administration, and the fact that their facilities are built so that he would not have that headache.  On the other hand I'd imagine that the SEC is a real pressure job.  They turnover a lot that cannot produce.  Also Mizzou is in the lower quarter of the SEC.  He could probably stay here until his kids finish high school while they could easily be uprooted in five or six years.  So he must decide what's best for him and his family and/or a more prestigious job.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2021 at 1:14 AM, GrayEagle said:

I'd think that this will be a difficult decision for Wren.  He likes the administration that he is a part of.  He likes the area.  He makes a decent salary here but I'm sure Missouri pays a lot more.  He has some unfinished business here that he would probably like to accomplish.  But...he may like Columbia, the Missouri administration, and the fact that their facilities are built so that he would not have that headache.  On the other hand I'd imagine that the SEC is a real pressure job.  They turnover a lot that cannot produce.  Also Mizzou is in the lower quarter of the SEC.  He could probably stay here until his kids finish high school while they could easily be uprooted in five or six years.  So he must decide what's best for him and his family and/or a more prestigious job.

Ditto! 👍

If Wren goes, please don’t turn this over to the local group think crowd who would think future progress would be waving yet another white flag possibly seeing us go down another NCAA division (remember 1-AA?)  or......being cast with yet another collection of schools (most of whom were not even around or playing football the day North Texas defeated a 7 & 4 Tennessee Vols FB team).

••• Whether winning or losing, North Texas Is still better than any of that group. (Please quit judging everything on the last 2 football seasons W/L records—Go listen Brett Vito on his most recent podcast 

••• Never say never about putting the wrong people or those forever bureaucratic regressives in charge. History has one helluva’ strange way of repeating.  So hang around, young alums, & you’ll see how we keep doing some things over & over again.  

💚 PLEASE STAY WREN. YOU’LL ULTIMATELY BE MORE APPRECIATED AT NORTH TEXAS & YOUR MOST PROGRESSIVE MARK ON THE UNT PROGRAM WILL BE MUCH MORE MAGNIFIED THAN PROBABLY ANYTHING YOU COULD DO AT MIZZOU AT THIS STAGE OF THE GAME.

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I think Neal is the best president this university has had because of his involvement in everything but also willing to sacrifice more for athletics. I feel like that hasn’t happened before, but I would like to know what the older crowd has to say about that.

I always liked Hurley overall, but Smatresk has been an amazing president.  I'd agree he's been the best president we've ever had.

• Upvote 4

Gut feeling tells me “In Wren We Trust” stays at North Texas.  Been wrong before, but I really think he feels he’s not completed what he knows he can accomplish in Denton (which I think could be some very dramatic projects that will separate us from the SMU influence for good plus—Wren will do it all impeccably honest). 
••• To me the UNT upside is all northward & our future is still amazing.  Burgeoning growth of all our various UNT-related constituencies will continue to be off the radar.  

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

On 7/28/2021 at 11:44 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I agree.   He is awesome, if not for this video alone. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I agree.   He is awesome, if not for this video alone. 

That which has been most of our passion up there (as in NCAA D1 athletics) has been dramatically enhanced by President Neal Smatresk.

When Dr. Alfred F. Hurley finally came around to saying “Athletics is the main picture window of a university” that was a huge philosophical win because in 1980-1981 many of us thought he might very well lead the way to have football dropped. Some say he had much pressure from faculty & staff to make that happen.  Al & Joann Hurley were kind & thoughtful people.  Many of us were glad the 2 Brooklyn natives (& grads of St. John’s) became Texans & crossed our paths for many years.  

Many of us hope the present team of Smatresk, Wren Baker, the BOR’s & major movers & shakers can stay in tact because we all know what can happen when those who have much less going in the bigger dreams department & little ambition can do to this athletic program.  Good intentions by good people are sometimes not enough?

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

From the St Lous Post Dispatch yesterday.   If true, the odds are good that Wren stays here.

"University president Mun Choi and the committee are putting a high priority on finding  a sitting Power 5 athletics director who has spent time at an SEC institution, sources have confirmed in recent days. That doesn’t mean MU would rule out ADs at current Group of 5 schools, but university leadership wants to land someone with experience at a major program, preferably in the SEC. That means we can probably eliminate industry outsiders, like Jon Sundvold or Mike Owens, who had surfaced as candidates in past AD searches. (The last time Mizzou hired a sitting AD from a school that’s currently in a power conference? Not since 1978, when Dave Hart came to MU from Louisville, then an independent. )"

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/can-mizzou-land-a-sitting-power-5-ad/article_9882d7db-6b3e-5776-998e-911bd893bc77.html

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 1