G5 realignment proposal

Found this on another board and thought it was pretty spot on:

I did this same exercise a year or so ago with just CUSA and SBC to see who, based on data, should be selected for the hybrid conference that we all love to talk about. Now, given the inevitable shakeup we're going to see in conference realignment, I thought it might be fun to do again with AAC added into the mix.

I compiled 10 years of data for football (FPI) and basketball (KenPom), and then 5 years of data for women's basketball (RPI) and baseball (RPI). I then weighted the rankings based on the average % of revenue for each sport (i.e. football accounted for 60.41% of everyone's budget on average so the ranking was weighted in accordance with that).

After plugging all of this in, this was the resulting conference:

SMU
Tulsa
Tulane
Temple
Louisiana
USF
App State
Marshall
LA Tech
UAB
FAU
Troy
WKU
Wichita State

Doing this I assumed that UCF, Cincinnati, Houston and Memphis would get poached. If it ends up being SMU instead of Houston or Memphis then that wouldn't change too much since they're all similarly ranked among the group.

Wichita State is #1 in basketball by a huge margin so I assume that they'll be asked to join whatever ends up happening.

This conference would end up with 1/3 of the good football programs (top-50), both of the good basketball programs (top-100), 4/5 of the good women's basketball programs (top-100), and 7/14 of the good baseball programs (top-100).

This data was hard coded so please don't crucify me if I miskeyed something. I've attached a copy of the file I put together for you to manipulate however you'd like.

EDIT: Can't upload excel so here's google doc https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bwncl_6...sp=sharing

View Full Article

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

• Harry changed the title to G5 realignment proposal
1 hour ago, wardly said:

So UNT left out again?

You read the formula? Included the power ratings for the ever critical sports of baseball and women’s hoops. 

Tells me whomever put it together needed those sports to get their favorite school on the list instead of say a program with 9 bowl appearances in the last 10 years 🙂

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Arkstfan said:

You read the formula? Included the power ratings for the ever critical sports of baseball and women’s hoops. 

Tells me whomever put it together needed those sports to get their favorite school on the list instead of say a program with 9 bowl appearances in the last 10 years 🙂

There was a formula for this mess? A formula that included Wichita, Philly, and Boca Raton? Some of these schools whose budgets are a briefcase full of IOUs are gonna LOVE the travel expenses.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1