CUSA East schools looking to break away

GreenFlag

6 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I think you’ll see Marshall, So. Miss, and UAB move out of CUSA.  Where, I don’t know.   But they consider themselves elite programs and deserve better than CUSA.  And would try hard to get La Tech in their club.

Could see them try and pull some Belt teams, maybe a MAC team or two. The G5's need to start working on regionalized conferences

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

I think you’ll see Marshall, So. Miss, and UAB move out of CUSA.  Where, I don’t know.   But they consider themselves elite programs and deserve better than CUSA.  And would try hard to get La Tech in their club.

They might consider themselves elite, but I'm not sure that's how the rest of CFB views them, and it has less to do with on-field than what they're working with or delivering. I mean, they are good on field, and are certainly elite at doing more with less, but conferences aren't really looking for "less" when it comes to athletic budgets, and USM and La Tech are two of the lowest (if not lowest) in CUSA. It's a big factor in why, despite their on-field success, those schools have remained at the level they are at. They would also be among the lowest budgets in the Sun Belt these days, beating ULM and probably nobody else.

Now, eventually, it's going to be about lowering travel expenses and getting butts-in-seats, and it will be interesting to see what happens to revenue for most of the G5 without the body bag games. Once you start taking a million here and a million there away from teams that have less than $30m athletics budget, it's gonna get real dicey.