Please tell me UNT is actively looking to move up. Let's get some real conference rivals

On 7/27/2021 at 7:42 PM, GrandGreen said:

Can you support that with those numbers?

Ever actually look at what makes up those revenue numbers.   One of the main component is conference payments.   So obviously, the conferences that distributes the most to its members looks better than CUSA, which is at the very bottom of leagues on that basis. 

Again, attendance numbers are for a lot of programs is an abstract number derived by very questionable estimates.  

Not saying that NT is not lacking in support, but it is probably at a higher level than most G5's.  This despite that CUSA is probably the second worse D1 conference in the nation.   The AAC is a much better conference than CUSA in terms of membership and most importantly finances.  

Our average attendance is about 20,000 or 2/3's of stadium. I don't know of any conference that is looking to add a football program with those numbers unless its SMU.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

On 7/30/2021 at 9:44 AM, greenminer said:

Just dawned on me: this account is allowed to continue because he is a relative of the mods/owners.  That's gotta be it, or at least a probable explanation

Because it generates clicks and replies. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/29/2021 at 5:53 PM, Coffee and TV said:

Not sure the question but it's one thing to come on here as a fan of another school and discuss conference realignments and some simple trash talk the week before a game, but this guy's #1 hobby is logging into a site he has no affiliation with and just trolling and trashing up threads. A lot of people here might not like what I have to say but I'm an alumnus who actually cares about this program and can contribute to the discussion. This guy is just some random loser from the school down the road who only posts to rile people up and adds nothing. I can always just block their posts, but I'm baffled why the people who run this site have let it go on for so long.  

Very simple: clicks and eyeballs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WanderingEagle said:

Literally anything, anything!!!!!, is better than Conference USA. It's ridiculously difficult to convince friends and family to come to games when we aren't playing SMU or Houston and are instead playing UTEP and Rice on a back to back. 

Get out of Conference USA. Anything is better.

The Southland Conference is on the phone.   They are asking for you.  

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, WanderingEagle said:

Literally anything, anything!!!!!, is better than Conference USA. It's ridiculously difficult to convince friends and family to come to games when we aren't playing SMU or Houston and are instead playing UTEP and Rice on a back to back. 

At this point we have nowhere to go. Assume the BIG 12 at some point grabs at least 4 AAC programs,{SMU not being one of them}  the AAC reloads from CUSA and the BELT , leaving UNT behind. Also I don't know why the MWC would reach out to the state of Texas for G5 programs since its slim pickings with UNT,UTEP,UTSA, Texas State, and Rice.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, WanderingEagle said:

Maybe you should try going to a NORTH TEXAS game and quit worrying about the opponent.

Are you there to see the Mean Green or the Cougars/Owls/Miners?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

Question, if Texas A&M can't keep Texas and OU from SEC, then how can SMU keep NT out of AAC? Do they have more than one vote or a veto?

Getting tired of hearing this argument, the AAC is not the SWC. So, go ahead experts what is the process for AAC adding a team and how is it so different from SEC?

Thanks

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenSig said:

Question, if Texas A&M can't keep Texas and OU from SEC, then how can SMU keep NT out of AAC? Do they have more than one vote or a veto?

Getting tired of hearing this argument, the AAC is not the SWC. So, go ahead experts what is the process for AAC adding a team and how is it so different from SEC?

Thanks

They keep us out with their presence, not with their vote. We don’t deliver anything different or better than SMU to the conference, so, until/unless we do, we aren’t in. 

SMU doesn’t keep us out. Our athletic program does. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenSig said:

Thanks

I don't thank SMU is keeping NT out of the AAC.   I don't see a team in that conference that would embrace NT's membership.  

Sports is a business, and no one wants to help their competition.   

NT to move up in conferences must become a program that other teams can benefit by including them.

NT's biggest issue IMO, is their own alumni who dismiss NT has a viable athletic program.  I know a lot of sports fans who graduated from NT, only to become ardent supporters of another program like A&M or UT.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Monkeypox said:

They keep us out with their presence, not with their vote. We don’t deliver anything different or better than SMU to the conference, so, until/unless we do, we aren’t in. 

SMU doesn’t keep us out. Our athletic program does. 

Explain Tulsa's inclusion in this conference, if it is so exclusive?

And while you are at it, explain what magic SMU has that makes them so desirable?

Other than being the most penalized school in the NCAA, I don't get the appeal of SMU.

They don't deliver the DFW market, no matter how many times they proclaim they are Dallas's team.

NT's overall athletic program is more than OK.  Women's teams are mostly first rate, men's basketball is the best it has ever been, track and field is quickly improving as well as men's golf.

If NT was allowed into the AAC, they would be immediately competitive in most sports inclusive of football. 

So I strongly disagree, it is not the failure of the athletic program; but the politics of sports that is the issue. 

If I were running SMU, I would do everything possible to keep NT in a lower rated conference.  SMU is hardly a factor in the national scene and they certainly don't want that to happen on a regional basis.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenSig said:

Thanks

THANK YOU! Sheesh

10 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Explain Tulsa's inclusion in this conference, if it is so exclusive?

And while you are at it, explain what magic SMU has that makes them so desirable?

Other than being the most penalized school in the NCAA, I don't get the appeal of SMU.

They don't deliver the DFW market, no matter how many times they proclaim they are Dallas's team.

NT's overall athletic program is more than OK.  Women's teams are mostly first rate, men's basketball is the best it has ever been, track and field is quickly improving as well as men's golf.

If NT was allowed into the AAC, they would be immediately competitive in most sports inclusive of football. 

So I strongly disagree, it is not the failure of the athletic program; but the politics of sports that is the issue. 

If I were running SMU, I would do everything possible to keep NT in a lower rated conference.  SMU is hardly a factor in the national scene and they certainly don't want that to happen on a regional basis.  

AAC isn't that exclusive. It doesn't have to be to exclude us.

What would we bring to the members of the AAC that's MORE than SMU and Tulsa? Their inclusion is already done, but since I can't get actual numbers from small private schools, I have to kinda get on the Wayback Machine and guess why they were invited.

Tulsa might be terrible as a program, and they probably wouldn't be in the AAC if they were forming tomorrow. But, at the time of their inclusion in the AAC, they had won 56 CUSA Championships across their athletic program in 9 years in CUSA (including 7 their final year). And they had successful rivalries from their time in CUSA with SMU, Houston, and Memphis, who had all joined the AAC the year prior.  

SMU is more successful in athletics, has more money, and gets to live on a reputation that we simply don't have. That's why you  see people who don't know anything thinking they'll be on the list of move-up candidates (ignoring the economic realities). They don't do shit for ticket sales, and no, they don't carry the market, but neither do we. And I can tell you, what piddly-ass bit of the market we both have, their share is still greater.

But it's 2021, not 2014, so who gives a damn why they took the teams they took, other than "they were pretty good in CUSA at the time" or "they had money" or "included to satisfy media contract"

And you're comparing us to the dregs of the AAC, and saying "why not us?" Why would a conference want to add more teams to the bottom of their conference? And, if they do, we are simply on par with a lot of our peers in CUSA and the Sun Belt, not obviously and objectively more valuable.

Our overall athletic program is only "more than okay" when compared to CUSA and Sun Belt teams and the bottom of the AAC and MWC. How do we compete athletically in both wins AND REVENUE compared to those we want to join? The answer is: we don't. So no, we wouldn't immediately be competitive in the AAC just because our men's basketball won CUSA and a tournament game one year and our women's sports are very good in CUSA. 

And yes, SMU probably IS doing everything they can to keep us out. But that's like saying I'm doing everything I can to control the weather. The AAC isn't bucking to the whims of SMU. 

What ADDITIONAL REVENUE are we bringing the members of the AAC? That's the only thing that matters in this conference juggling talk. We have low ticket sales and low donor contributions. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

AAC isn't that exclusive. It doesn't have to be to exclude us.

What would we bring to the members of the AAC that's MORE than SMU and Tulsa? Their inclusion is already done, but since I can't get actual numbers from small private schools, I have to kinda get on the Wayback Machine and guess why they were invited.

Tulsa might be terrible as a program, and they probably wouldn't be in the AAC if they were forming tomorrow. But, at the time of their inclusion in the AAC, they had won 56 CUSA Championships across their athletic program in 9 years in CUSA (including 7 their final year). And they had successful rivalries from their time in CUSA with SMU, Houston, and Memphis, who had all joined the AAC the year prior.  

SMU is more successful in athletics, has more money, and gets to live on a reputation that we simply don't have. That's why you  see people who don't know anything thinking they'll be on the list of move-up candidates (ignoring the economic realities). They don't do shit for ticket sales, and no, they don't carry the market, but neither do we. And I can tell you, what piddly-ass bit of the market we both have, their share is still greater.

But it's 2021, not 2014, so who gives a damn why they took the teams they took, other than "they were pretty good in CUSA at the time" or "they had money" or "included to satisfy media contract"

And you're comparing us to the dregs of the AAC, and saying "why not us?" Why would a conference want to add more teams to the bottom of their conference? And, if they do, we are simply on par with a lot of our peers in CUSA and the Sun Belt, not obviously and objectively more valuable.

Our overall athletic program is only "more than okay" when compared to CUSA and Sun Belt teams and the bottom of the AAC and MWC. How do we compete athletically in both wins AND REVENUE compared to those we want to join? The answer is: we don't. So no, we wouldn't immediately be competitive in the AAC just because our men's basketball won CUSA and a tournament game one year and our women's sports are very good in CUSA. 

And yes, SMU probably IS doing everything they can to keep us out. But that's like saying I'm doing everything I can to control the weather. The AAC isn't bucking to the whims of SMU. 

What ADDITIONAL REVENUE are we bringing the members of the AAC? That's the only thing that matters in this conference juggling talk. We have low ticket sales and low donor contributions. 

The number one factor in recruiting is conference affiliation.

So overcoming SMU advantage in that regard is not going to happen unless there is a conference shakeup. 

You state a lot of facts without backing them up.  You aver NT does not compare to other AAC teams in budget.  Yes, you are correct only because the AAC distributes a lot more money to its members than CUSA. 

A budget can be made just about any way you want it.   Unless you spend a lot of effort, there is little information actually there.  College athletics are non-profit meaning revenues at some point have to equal expenditures. 

You completely disregard what keeps NT and 80% of other G5's afloat, student fees. 

5 hours ago, UNT86 said:

Maybe you should try going to a NORTH TEXAS game and quit worrying about the opponent.

Are you there to see the Mean Green or the Cougars/Owls/Miners?

Fans of Big time programs go to see their team play regardless of opponent. Fans of Small time programs go to see only those games that have attractive opponents. We will always sell tickets to SMU, but never to ODU.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1