Please tell me UNT is actively looking to move up. Let's get some real conference rivals

Open spot in the AAC looks likely and I'm sure many open spaces to fill up in conference realignment coming up. I sure hope North Texas is paying close attention and ready to pounce once they have the opportunity or at least has some heavy hitter lined up to be lobbying for us to be in a better conference. AAC, MWC, Big 12 entry when it implodes.

CUSA is so much better than the Racoon League (Sun-Belt) but we are a major campus, so much more going for us, such as Tier One research school, new upgraded facilities, high enrollment and in a big market. I really hope we can join SMU as conference rivals and add a new exciting nonconference opponent to play. 

This is my dream conference. UNT/SMU/TCU/Baylor/Houston/Tulsa/Tulane/Texas Tech. Regional Rivalries and Geographical dream. Makes so much sense. The Pac-12 isn't going to pickup the Big 12 leftovers

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/cincinnati-bearcats-american-athletic-conference-aac-realignment-2021/

5 hours ago, UNT_playmaker said:

The Pac-12 isn't going to pickup the Big 12 leftovers

The PAC 12 would be absolutely nuts to turn away some combination of Baylor, OSU, TCU, and Tech.

The reality of college athletics has always been dollars and cents. In our new name & image rights reality, the bigs need as many new eyeballs and markets as possible to be real players.

If I’m the PAC 12 commissioner and I’m looking at my opportunities to tilt the field in my conference’s favor, there’s this cash cow and then there’s a bunch of pocket change. This moves establishes my conference in Texas, brings in great football, basketball, and baseball programs, and brings millions of new eyes to my broadcasts.

Put another way, if the PAC 12 doesn’t make this move, if such a move is available to them, then they’re going to put themselves in an uncompetitive NIL position from the jump.

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

When Texas explored moving to the PAC 12 they were told there was no interest in Tech. However, times have changed. I don't see Baylor of TCU in the mix, as small private schools are not the most desirable additions to a conference. Perhaps Texas Tech,Oklahoma State, Iowa State and one of the Kansas programs might make better sense. If I was the BIG 12 and wanted to stay alive I would be pounding at the doorsteps of Arizona and Arizona State, as the PAC 12 is the next conference that might implode. I saw today the BIG 10 is considering going after So. California [a big private school] and Oregon , so who knows how realignment is going to shake out I don't see an opportunity for UNT except to move to a watered down AAC , which might end up like our move to a watered down CUSA. Interesting times.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, UNT_playmaker said:

Open spot in the AAC looks likely and I'm sure many open spaces to fill up in conference realignment coming up. I sure hope North Texas is paying close attention and ready to pounce once they have the opportunity or at least has some heavy hitter lined up to be lobbying for us to be in a better conference. AAC, MWC, Big 12 entry when it implodes.

CUSA is so much better than the Racoon League (Sun-Belt) but we are a major campus, so much more going for us, such as Tier One research school, new upgraded facilities, high enrollment and in a big market. I really hope we can join SMU as conference rivals and add a new exciting nonconference opponent to play. 

This is my dream conference. UNT/SMU/TCU/Baylor/Houston/Tulsa/Tulane/Texas Tech. Regional Rivalries and Geographical dream. Makes so much sense. The Pac-12 isn't going to pickup the Big 12 leftovers

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-football/cincinnati-bearcats-american-athletic-conference-aac-realignment-2021/

How is CUSA better than the Sun-Belt, based on regular season records and bowl wins, they appear better these days.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

The reality is probably no more P5 and in its place is a P2 where college football resembles an AFC/NFC kind of league. BIG is contacting USC and there are reports of the ACC merging with the SEC. frankly the BIG12 is screwed, it’s going away any thoughts on getting in that league a foolish because they’re not going to be around much longer. I don’t see any movement “up” maybe a lateral move as the rest of the programs ascend into college football heaven in this sports rapture we are heading into 

End Of The World Rapture GIF by Aftermath TV

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, wardly said:

When Texas explored moving to the PAC 12 they were told there was no interest in Tech. However, times have changed. I don't see Baylor of TCU in the mix, as small private schools are not the most desirable additions to a conference. Perhaps Texas Tech,Oklahoma State, Iowa State and one of the Kansas programs might make better sense. If I was the BIG 12 and wanted to stay alive I would be pounding at the doorsteps of Arizona and Arizona State, as the PAC 12 is the next conference that might implode. I saw today the BIG 10 is considering going after So. California [a big private school] and Oregon , so who knows how realignment is going to shake out I don't see an opportunity for UNT except to move to a watered down AAC , which might end up like our move to a watered down CUSA. Interesting times.

Some might say this is the end of days for college football as we know it 😅

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, UNT_playmaker said:

I like the way you think!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

With our attendance numbers, I don’t see any value we bring another conference “above” CUSA.  Not enough revenue to bring value to another conference.  Not going anywhere…

Can you support that with those numbers?

Ever actually look at what makes up those revenue numbers.   One of the main component is conference payments.   So obviously, the conferences that distributes the most to its members looks better than CUSA, which is at the very bottom of leagues on that basis. 

Again, attendance numbers are for a lot of programs is an abstract number derived by very questionable estimates.  

Not saying that NT is not lacking in support, but it is probably at a higher level than most G5's.  This despite that CUSA is probably the second worse D1 conference in the nation.   The AAC is a much better conference than CUSA in terms of membership and most importantly finances.  

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

With our attendance numbers, I don’t see any value we bring another conference “above” CUSA.  Not enough revenue to bring value to another conference.  Not going anywhere…

We have top 3 attendance in the conference, and top 3 average attendance in the conference. Attendance has been spotty at times, but the atmosphere we’ve had for several games in the past few years is something that very very very few cusa teams have experienced.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

13 hours ago, Cougar King said:

Move up to where exactly?

The SEC obviously won't happen for UNT and the Big 10 won't take UNT with that puny endowment and lack of AAU status. The Pac-12 and the ACC have existing P5 schools to choose from and AAC schools.

The current AAC has no need for UNT otherwise they would alrewdy be here. The current Mountain West doesn't want UNT or otherwise they would be there already.

UNT could move to a depleted MWC or AAC but at that point, it wouldn't really be a step up.

FCS is another option but there's no reason to move their either.

So again, where would UNT move exactly? Don't fill yourself up with false hope. You will be VERY disappointed in the end.

Somewhat agree. No idea how this shakes out. But don’t think for a second Houston is relevant either or they’d be there. It’s pretty simple. The big programs are breaking away. The Baylor’s, TCU’s, or Tech’s are gonna get land somewhere before AAC teams. There will be a massive gap with the new rules. 

For me though, with the paying of  players, and football conferences being broken up again I will probably stop watching college except NT games live with friends. I’m pretty much there now. Hell, I’m not even watching the Olympics, NBA, or MLB anymore. NFL is more entertaining for me now anyway. I really don’t care about Texas or LSU or whatever. NFL has the best players. Love beers on Thursday, Sundays, and Mondays too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

We move up when SMU moves up sorry to say. 

There are scenarios where that is not the case.

If the MWC loses members they might look, and I am not sure there are many better options than NT.

Also, if the BIG12 takes in 2-4 AAC members including Houston (and maybe also Memphis) but not SMU, then the AAC has a problem with only small enrollment private schools in the west, that are looking more like geographical outliers. I can see a role for a UNT in the AAC in such a case. Even SMU would have to think that being the only Texas school in conference might suck in that situation. At NT folks remember how much that sucked in the Belt.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, outoftown said:

There are scenarios where that is not the case.

If the MWC loses members they might look, and I am not sure there are many better options than NT.

Also, if the BIG12 takes in 2-4 AAC members including Houston (and maybe also Memphis) but not SMU, then the AAC has a problem with only small enrollment private schools in the west, that are looking more like geographical outliers. I can see a role for a UNT in the AAC in such a case. Even SMU would have to think that being the only Texas school in conference might suck in that situation. At NT folks remember how much that sucked in the Belt.

Good points , I have been and will continue to preach the MWC and it would get us out from SMU. SMU is continues to push the Dallas College as witnesses by their New Jersey’s. They have to push this connection , because they can’t push crowded game support. You want a Dallas connection you have to have SMU is the thought and it is working on recruiting. For us MWC, AAC and finally a more regional Conf are our options. GMG 

• Upvote 3

Would be nice to see UNT in the AAC, but as it sits right now the MWC is probably the better fit.

Big12 revenues have been in decline, and will drop even more with out Texas and OU.  Iowa State probably moves to the Big10, VW will probably look for a new home, and those revenues will sink even more.  At which point the AAC might become the better revenue generating conference.  

It seems most are focused on football, but I think out basketball program is the key to moving up to a better conference. 

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 7/27/2021 at 9:44 AM, Cougar King said:

The SEC obviously won't happen for UNT and the Big 10 won't take UNT with that puny endowment and lack of AAU status. The Pac-12 and the ACC have existing P5 schools to choose from and AAC schools.

The current AAC has no need for UNT otherwise they would alrewdy be here. The current Mountain West doesn't want UNT or otherwise they would be there already.

UNT could move to a depleted MWC or AAC but at that point, it wouldn't really be a step up.

So again, where would UNT move exactly? Don't fill yourself up with false hope. You will be VERY disappointed in the end.

Kind of like you were when the Big 12 told UH...uh, no.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

So for the sake of argument let's say the EXPENDABLE EIGHT from the BIG 12 face the reality that individually they do not increase the revenues of any P5 conference and if the are going to remain a conference they need to poach at least 4 football schools from the AAC. The best candidates probably are Cincy, Houston, CFU, and Memphis. That means the AAC must poach at least 6 football schools from the Belt and CUSA {North Texas not being one of them}, leaving 18 football schools behind . These 18 schools could become a new conference or split into two 9 football conferences .Under this scenario UNT is lumped in with all the CUSA and Belt left behinds, not a pretty picture.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

14 minutes ago, wardly said:

So for the sake of argument let's say the EXPENDABLE EIGHT from the BIG 12 face the reality that individually they do not increase the revenues of any P5 conference and if the are going to remain a conference they need to poach at least 4 football schools from the AAC. The best candidates probably are Cincy, Houston, CFU, and Memphis. That means the AAC must poach at least 6 football schools from the Belt and CUSA {North Texas not being one of them}, leaving 18 football schools behind . These 18 schools could become a new conference or split into two 9 football conferences .Under this scenario UNT is lumped in with all the CUSA and Belt left behinds, not a pretty picture.

What will blow up the "remaining" is if 2-4 of the schools are able to make moves and then 6-4 are left at the will of the AAC or MWC. 

Best-Case (not saying likely, just their best-case)

• OSU - Pac12 or paired with WVU to the ACC
  • TCU - Pac12 - Convince them with all of the West Coast transplants you would have fans - Central time Zone - Help Texas Recruiting
  • BU - See TCU - Convince them you are close enough the Austin to make all of the transplants happy
  • KU - the B1G stays true to Academics - They bring their AAU accreditations and BB - But is the FB so bad it offsets the benefits of BB?
  • ISU - Similar to KU with the AAU. Football has been steadily good
  • WVU - Gets the ACC invite they have always wanted
  • KSU - MWC?
  • TECH - MWC? I know their fans want the Pac12, but Lubbock? 

Still wonder if we end up with two Super-Conference with a few current P5's shown the door

1. SEC/ACC/B12 - emphasis on FB followed by academics 
  2. B1G and PAC12 - Emphasis on Academics

• Upvote 1

I just don't see either BIG 10 or PAC adding teams just to be adding them and reducing the size of each members slice of the pie. This conference change by Texas & OU is revenue driven, and non of the BIG 12 schools left behind will increase income for the remaining P5 conferences. The BIG 12 remaining 8 have two options, grow or go.

3 minutes ago, wardly said:

I just don't see either BIG 10 or PAC adding teams just to be adding them and reducing the size of each members slice of the pie. This conference change by Texas & OU is revenue driven, and non of the BIG 12 schools left behind will increase income for the remaining P5 conferences. The BIG 12 remaining 8 have two options, grow or go.

The B1G makes lots of money, but they make the most from their research—that’s why they are all AAU members (except For Nebraska now) and that includes the University of Chicago in that group of research schools. KU and ISU both are AAU. Both fit in the their geographical footprint, and both won’t cost a thing to bring them over to the B1G, unlike any other AAU school in the ACC. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/27/2021 at 10:44 AM, Cougar King said:

Who hurt you? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, wardly said:

They won’t be adding teams just to add them. It apparent that these conferences are going to grow and the P5 is going to coalesce into two or three super conferences, which will bring in more revenue not less. College football is the second biggest sport in this country. The media rights that these super conferences along with the new playoff model are going to be insane.