Time for the "others" to work together?

From ESPN (for what is worth)
Industry sources indicated to ESPN on Sunday the SEC's potential additions of Oklahoma and Texas might be the first step in the formation of a single superconference, which would one day include as many as 60 teams or as few as 32. Under that scenario, powerhouse teams from the ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC and Notre Dame would fold into one single entity. Those schools would play each other and no one else.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Industry sources indicated to ESPN on Sunday the SEC's potential additions of Oklahoma and Texas might be the first step in the formation of a single superconference, which would one day include as many as 60 teams or as few as 32. Under that scenario, powerhouse teams from the ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC and Notre Dame would fold into one single entity. Those schools would play each other and no one else.

I think we are a long long way from B1G and SEC choosing to be pals. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Industry sources indicated to ESPN on Sunday the SEC's potential additions of Oklahoma and Texas might be the first step in the formation of a single superconference, which would one day include as many as 60 teams or as few as 32.

I feel like we all knew this was where it would land for years now. Still sucks to be one of the have nots.

That in mind, getting ahead of that portal to pull in players who drop down is our future aim. We won't be landing big recruits (not that we did before...) but we can scoop up the super conference leftovers and dropouts. FCS 2.0

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Stop spending major money, or at least UNT's version of major money, on football. It's over. We will settle, after the dust falls, right smack in the middle of complete irrelevance. Invest the money into the normal student and basketball, in that order. 

c11a8a744142a678a6c51fefbc121584.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Stop spending major money, or at least UNT's version of major money, on football. It's over. We will settle, after the dust falls, right smack in the middle of complete irrelevance. Invest the money into the normal student and basketball, in that order. 

So, for peeps down voting, we shouldn't invest into the normal student? And we should be investing into what will almost all but guaranteed be a money black hole? Just trying to get it on record. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Agree, but if there is enough $$ and the top 2-3 programs bolt the B1G will not be to far behind the B12

Remember SEC is adding teams to try to catch up to Big Ten money. 

ACC teams won’t be on the table for another 10 years because of their grant of rights but if B1G wants to go B I G ain’t nobody happy in the Pac12. Cull the little brothers who don’t draw big crowds nor tv viewers and you’ve got enough teams to keep travel down while ABC puts USC at Ohio State and Michigan at Oregon on prime time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

So, for peeps down voting, we shouldn't invest into the normal student? And we should be investing into what will almost all but guaranteed be a money black hole? Just trying to get it on record. 

Just so you know, I’ve upvoted you twice on this and agree on the hoops thing. Doesn’t mean we drop football, because giving scholarships is still a very worthwhile activity and football brings in something of worth to the school. That said, hoops can and should get more attention because it doesn’t take much to win here. Now, when the NCAA loses all control of these power schools and the NCAA Tournament goes away for all but the big conferences, that may be a tough thing to realize how much we paid to play at hoops. But at least you have a chance…you have NEVER had nor EVER will have a chance at football to be a major player. 

12 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Just so you know, I’ve upvoted you twice on this and agree on the hoops thing. Doesn’t mean we drop football, because giving scholarships is still a very worthwhile activity and football brings in something of worth to the school. That said, hoops can and should get more attention because it doesn’t take much to win here. Now, when the NCAA loses all control of these power schools and the NCAA Tournament goes away for all but the big conferences, that may be a tough thing to realize how much we paid to play at hoops. But at least you have a chance…you have NEVER had nor EVER will have a chance at football to be a major player. 

No, definitely keep football. But let's quit acting like we're in this race facility wise and salary wise. There's no point. Continue to maintain what we have while adding upgrades here and there, but doing another capital project to the magnitude of an IPF-like project again... What's exactly the point? You know? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Put me down for "FOOTBALL". This subject has been argued since I went to NT..we even frickin dropped down to FCS to appease those who felt we needed more focus academics. And look where we are today. I DO NOT want to go back.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Remember SEC is adding teams to try to catch up to Big Ten money. 

ACC teams won’t be on the table for another 10 years because of their grant of rights but if B1G wants to go B I G ain’t nobody happy in the Pac12. Cull the little brothers who don’t draw big crowds nor tv viewers and you’ve got enough teams to keep travel down while ABC puts USC at Ohio State and Michigan at Oregon on prime time. 

Lets go ahead and send USC, Oregon, Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, and ND to the SEC and get it over with so everyone else can get on with their lives. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Put me down for "FOOTBALL". This subject has been argued since I went to NT..we even frickin dropped down to FCS to appease those who felt we needed more focus academics. And look where we are today. I DO NOT want to go back.

I get it. 

But this is the final major shift in collegiate athletics. It was different when we dropped down in the 80s or 90s, whereas several D1 universities were still somewhat vying for positioning. This is it. After this is over, we will not see a shift of the magnitude in the 21st century again. The next phase will be to weed out the current P5 want to be's, which has nothing to do with us. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I get it. 

But this is the final major shift in collegiate athletics. It was different when we dropped down in the 80s or 90s, whereas several D1 universities were still somewhat vying for positioning. This is it. After this is over, we will not see a shift of the magnitude in the 21st century again. The next phase will be to weed out the current P5 want to be's, which has nothing to do with us. 

Yes but winning on scale is still fun and we can be a good program that wins and enjoys celebrating our school on Saturdays in Denton.  I love the competitive drive that makes you want to be with the big boys, respect it.  Let’s be the best in our league, whatever it is, and just focus on progress. We’ll never be Texas and I honestly wouldn’t want to be.  I doubt the TCUs and Techs of the world are feeling much better than we are right now.  I want to be a program that wins and celebrates the bond that ties us together, our alma mater.  We have come a long way from the relegation days even though it may not feel like it.  Definitely need to be winning for it to be fun though. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

First time, I have ever heard that NT dropped down to focus on academics.  I highly doubt that scenario. 

NT dropped down because of awful leadership, nothing else.  The NCAA adopted new rules for inclusion of the top level of D1.  Instead of fighting those rules like most schools in the same situation, NT chose to acquiesce.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Not one of your peeps. I down voted mainly because you are always silent when something good happens but show up like in-laws during the holidays when something potentially negative occurs. It’s your M.O.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Not one of your peeps. I down voted mainly because you are always silent when something good happens but show up like in-laws during the holidays when something potentially negative occurs. It’s your M.O.

That's BS. It probably just feels that way to you because we're UNT. 

And I claim none here as my own. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

First time, I have ever heard that NT dropped down to focus on academics.  I highly doubt that scenario. 

NT dropped down because of awful leadership, nothing else.  The NCAA adopted new rules for inclusion of the top level of D1.  Instead of fighting those rules like most schools in the same situation, NT chose to acquiesce.  

Naw...look who were the leadership of NT. The excuse was to focus on academics with the so called dwindling interest in football. I know what I read those many years ago and ain't gonna sit for hours try to find it on the web.

Hey...you can interpret however you want I suppose.

Edited by RBP79

14 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Naw...look who were the leadership of NT. The excuse was to focus on academics with the so called dwindling interest in football. I know what I read those many years ago and ain't gonna sit for hours try to find it on the web.

Hey...you can interpret however you want I suppose.

Hey, you can believe anything you want also.   I have no doubt you read what you say, just don't believe that really had anything to do with it. 

On 7/26/2021 at 6:00 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Invest the money into the normal student and basketball, in that order. 

I've slept since the last time I was on campus for Spring Ball at Apogee but as I remember the "normal" students have a lot of really big capital investments all over campus that were absent during my years at Ole U of NT.

What exactly do our "normal" students lack?  Does the Student Rec Center need another 50ft added to the indoor climbing wall?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I've slept since the last time I was on campus for Spring Ball at Apogee but as I remember the "normal" students have a lot of really big capital investments all over campus that were absent during my years at Ole U of NT.

What exactly do our "normal" students lack?  Does the Student Rec Center need another 50ft added to the indoor climbing wall?

For starters, better professors. 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1