Here is where the Big 12 leftovers will end up

meangreen11

4 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

The SEC would have 16 teams with the addition of OU and ut

I would think a quick recouping of the leftovers would be TTU, TCU and OK St. to the PAC 12 (with them trying to convince BYU to make 16 teams)

Kansas and Iowa St to the Big Ten (16 teams)

Baylor, West Va and K-State to the AAC

The remaining bits fall to the ACC (their standings currently have 15 teams because they include Notre Dame) maybe West VA can talk their way into the conference... but i honestly wouldn't be surprised to see LIberty make some insane power play

So basically this 

EA01129C-A8D6-4B71-95EC-A44486DA579D.jpeg

5 hours ago, MrAlien said:

I dont see the left overs in the B12 being a stronger conference then the AAC going forward.  1. Every school left in the B12 is going to be looking to jump ship.  2. I don't see many conference games with bit TV ratings left in the B12.  3. Not playing those big TV games against Texas and OU will hurt the recruiting of the remaining schools. 

If the AAC picks up one or two schools from the B12 then they will look like an even better conference

You are saying there are no weak links in AAC. I can assure you Terry Mohajir at UCF isn’t looking to grow AAC he’s looking to get UCF aligned with the Big XII because even lacking Texas and Oklahoma it’s schools are better and more valuable than the average AAC

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Monkeypox said:

As far as what the Big 12 leftovers want... it doesn't really matter in the long run.

That’s the key phrase. 

They don’t get to pick a P4 home. They get invited or don’t. 

Kansas is a basketball blue blood and has a shot but no guarantees. They bring near zero eyeballs in football. They bring in fewer new subscribers paying in-state premium than Arkansas would. 

Like Kansas, Iowa State is academically elite in AAU but why would B1G want them? Two teams in a state with basically the same population as Arkansas? That’s zero no new cable/satellite subscribers paying the higher fee for Big Ten Network. 

There are going to be 6-8 Big XII teams understanding how Houston, Rice, SMU, TCU and Temple felt getting kicked out of the club. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/27/2021 at 3:10 AM, golfingomez said:

i know people think this is silly right now, but please let me know what a Texas/OU-less Big 12 has to offer. beyond short term gains? (maybe you are positive after 2 years, assuming you can join by next season? but then the Big 12 has to renegotiate rights)...

meanwhile, the AAC has a pretty solid contract through 2031 to keep the schools happy, and may be able to add a big 12 team or two to their line-up... 

I just don't think the Big12 has much leverage right now

You can’t just think about football. BU, Kansas, and Tech bring a lot in basketball. Tournament shares are $$$. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/26/2021 at 5:52 PM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I just don't see the motivation for any Big XII "leftovers" to move down to the American Conference.  They can pluck the best teams out of the American (or MWC), keep the Big XII name, and still maintain some semblance of "P5."

That assumes they manage to act as a somewhat unified group and the individual schools have a choice. But if some schools manage to jump ship upwards (say Kansas and ISU somehow convince the Big10 to let them in) they will do so, and then there may not be enough of a conference left to be the acquirer, rather than the acquired conference.

That is not to say that the AAC doesn't have its own problems.

Edited by outoftown

On 7/26/2021 at 5:14 PM, Arkstfan said:

That’s the key phrase. 

They don’t get to pick a P4 home. They get invited or don’t. 

Kansas is a basketball blue blood and has a shot but no guarantees. They bring near zero eyeballs in football. They bring in fewer new subscribers paying in-state premium than Arkansas would. 

Like Kansas, Iowa State is academically elite in AAU but why would B1G want them? Two teams in a state with basically the same population as Arkansas? That’s zero no new cable/satellite subscribers paying the higher fee for Big Ten Network. 

There are going to be 6-8 Big XII teams understanding how Houston, Rice, SMU, TCU and Temple felt getting kicked out of the club. 

Barry Tramel has an interesting article which takes the last 4 years of TV games from the Big 12 teams and averages the eyeballs. 

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/2021/07/27/oklahoma-state-football-must-make-itself-attractive-tv-networks-ou-texas-sec/5386994001/

"Here are the Big 12 averages for each program when appearing on Fox, ABC, ESPN or ESPN2 and NOT playing the Sooners or Longhorns.

Non-OU/Texas games

1. TCU 1.86M (14 games)
2. OSU 1.74M (22 games)
3. Iowa State 1.6M (15 games)
4. West Virginia 1.56M (22 games)
5. Texas Tech 1.56 (11 games)
6. Kansas State 1.31M (14 games)
7. Baylor 1.14M (eight games)
8. Kansas 0.97M (four games)

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 97and03 said:

You can’t just think about football. BU, Kansas, and Tech bring a lot in basketball. Tournament shares are $$$. 

Sure... Basketball matters, that's why the Sooners and longhorns are leaving the conference with the defending national basketball champs for the basketball powerhouse of the sec

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1