Here is where the Big 12 leftovers will end up

meangreen11

Baylor will likely be overlooked by the ACC and Big Ten, so I could see them joining the AAC and re-establishing their football program while also making the conference as a whole that much more reputable. They obviously just won a championship in basketball, and would add a juggernaut to the conference’s lineup. They would join in-state SMU and Houston, while also helping the conference get to 16 teams, as they currently sit at 11. It would also allow their football program to establish a winning culture, long after the Art Briles disaster of a tenure. The AAC really wants to establish itself as one of the power conferences and securing Baylor would be a huge get for them.

read more:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/texas-longhorns-oklahoma-sooners-football-sec-expansion-big-12-join-other-teams-will-go-iowa-state-kansas-west-virginia/amp/

• Skeptical Eagle 1

I dont see the left overs in the B12 being a stronger conference then the AAC going forward.  1. Every school left in the B12 is going to be looking to jump ship.  2. I don't see many conference games with bit TV ratings left in the B12.  3. Not playing those big TV games against Texas and OU will hurt the recruiting of the remaining schools. 

If the AAC picks up one or two schools from the B12 then they will look like an even better conference

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

I dont see the left overs in the B12 being a stronger conference then the AAC going forward.  1. Every school left in the B12 is going to be looking to jump ship.  2. I don't see many conference games with bit TV ratings left in the B12.  3. Not playing those big TV games against Texas and OU will hurt the recruiting of the remaining schools. 

If the AAC picks up one or two schools from the B12 then they will look like an even better conference

It depends if the B12 can add some quality teams. If they can add, for instance, Cincinnati and UCF, or Memphis they are ahead of the AAC

• Upvote 2

All the schools in the B12 not named Texas and Oklahoma are going to find out that they are pretty much like everyone else and P5 in name only because of the company they kept.  Welcome to the club.  There are many posers in P5 conferences that are luckily reaping the benefits of their membership in a conference that probably would not consider them for membership today if that was an option.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

It depends if the B12 can add some quality teams. If they can add, for instance, Cincinnati and UCF, or Memphis they are ahead of the AAC

why would they move to the B12, if they all stay in the AAC they would be in the better conference...   especially knowing that every school left in the B12 is looking for a better conference. 

• Confused 2
  • Downvote 2

34 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

why would they move to the B12, if they all stay in the AAC they would be in the better conference...   especially knowing that every school left in the B12 is looking for a better conference. 

$$$$

41 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

If these teams moved the AAC would not be a better conference. OSU, BU, Tech, Iowa State, and TCU are not bad schools. If you pull Cin/UCF/Memphis then all of the sudden the AAC is not near what it has been. Add those 3 plus BYU and you probably have a conference from top to bottom as strong as the PAC12

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, greenjoe said:

Could we start a baseball program this afternoon ?

Was also thinking that might hurt the school from Highland Park move to the B12. Only difference is they could probably have 100 boosters write the check to cover the startup today - and cover the corresponding women's team(s)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If these teams moved the AAC would not be a better conference. OSU, BU, Tech, Iowa State, and TCU are not bad schools. If you pull Cin/UCF/Memphis then all of the sudden the AAC is not near what it has been. Add those 3 plus BYU and you probably have a conference from top to bottom as strong as the PAC12

Pac12 has a media marketing advantage because of the time zone... plus I dont see that conference being any better then the current AAC.  and you would think that at least one or two of those left over B12 schools will leave... whats that conference look like if Tech were to join the pac12, or Iowa state joins the Big10?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I just don't see the motivation for any Big XII "leftovers" to move down to the American Conference.  They can pluck the best teams out of the American (or MWC), keep the Big XII name, and still maintain some semblance of "P5."

I think the Big 12 isn't going to have much sway with the departure of OU and ut... when your flagship program is a tie between Baylor, Kansas and Oklahoma State, I would not leave the AAC (Which now looks VERY stable) for a potential half-step up in athletic prominence and a media deal expiring in 2025 which will be renegotiated down, most likely

I will miss the Big 12 and watching the FSSW Saturday triple headers of my youth.

2 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

Pac12 has a media marketing advantage because of the time zone... plus I dont see that conference being any better then the current AAC.  and you would think that at least one or two of those left over B12 schools will leave... whats that conference look like if Tech were to join the pac12, or Iowa state joins the Big10?

In the end it might not make a difference. I still think the long talked about Super Conference is nearing. Quite a few of the current P5 schools will be left out. Personally I would like to see it sooner than later so we can start adjusting.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

I think the Big 12 isn't going to have much sway with the departure of OU and ut... when your flagship program is a tie between Baylor, Kansas and Oklahoma State, I would not leave the AAC (Which now looks VERY stable) for a potential half-step up in athletic prominence and a media deal expiring in 2025 which will be renegotiated down, most likely

I will miss the Big 12 and watching the FSSW Saturday triple headers of my youth.

Any team in the AAC would jump for the Big XII, with or without UT and OU.  So exactly how stable is that?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

All the schools in the B12 not named Texas and Oklahoma are going to find out that they are pretty much like everyone else and P5 in name only because of the company they kept.  Welcome to the club.  There are many posers in P5 conferences that are luckily reaping the benefits of their membership in a conference that probably would not consider them for membership today if that was an option.  

Yep. 

I've been making this point for years. All the wailing and gnashing and jockeying and conference expansion doesn't change the fact that there are 30-ish teams that bring/make all the money, and that's all anyone sees or cares about.  Everyone else is on the outside of the eventual super conference(s).

As far as what the Big 12 leftovers want... it doesn't really matter in the long run. This just starts the clock on the ACC, Big 10, PAC-12 to figure out their first moves. I think we have one more realignment before the super-conference/division formation fully happens. I mean, the SEC has dead weight as well that won't be taken along in the end.

It's going to be hard to draw the lines in some cases, I think, but off the top of my head:

Clemson, Notre Dame, Miami, Florida State, (Louisville? Va Tech? UNC?), Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Iowa,, Wisconsin, (Michigan St? Minnesota?Nebraska?), Oklahoma, Texas, (Kansas St? Iowa St?), Washington, Oregon, USC, (Cal? Utah? ASU?), Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, (Arkansas, Miss St?, Tennessee?).... Wild Card (Boise?)

Including the ???, that's something like 36 teams. I might have someone on here that shouldn't be and I probably left someone off who belongs, because I'm literally just pulling these out of thin air. So think of two, 16-team conferences in the Super League, somewhat mirroring the NFL. I think they could go more teams, up to a number in the 40s, possibly (I think 50+ is dreaming). It's going to be a combination of history, success, and REVENUE. Maybe 36 is that sweet spot, though, just looking at names.

Everyone else is already left behind. They just don't know it yet.

37 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

The eight bottom feeders in the Big 12 is a hell a lot better than the eight top feeders in the AAC! Maintain the Big 12!

The way everyone talks about the "otners" in the B12, you can understand why UNT and most other G5 schools are not taken serious in considerations

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Dont discount smut and UH if for no other reason to get the TV markets and for recruiting purposes.

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

I think a week ago any team would have... now... not so sure

i know people think this is silly right now, but please let me know what a Texas/OU-less Big 12 has to offer. beyond short term gains? (maybe you are positive after 2 years, assuming you can join by next season? but then the Big 12 has to renegotiate rights)...

meanwhile, the AAC has a pretty solid contract through 2031 to keep the schools happy, and may be able to add a big 12 team or two to their line-up... 

I just don't think the Big12 has much leverage right now

Edited by golfingomez

The SEC would have 16 teams with the addition of OU and ut

I would think a quick recouping of the leftovers would be TTU, TCU and OK St. to the PAC 12 (with them trying to convince BYU to make 16 teams)

Kansas and Iowa St to the Big Ten (16 teams)

Baylor, West Va and K-State to the AAC

The remaining bits fall to the ACC (their standings currently have 15 teams because they include Notre Dame) maybe West VA can talk their way into the conference... but i honestly wouldn't be surprised to see LIberty make some insane power play