Updated: DRC -- UNT finalizes extensions with McCasland, Mitchell (buyout info for McCasland)

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC breaking news -- UNT finalizes extensions with McCasland, Mitchell
32 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Both of those deals are way too long. 

I disagree about McCasland as he made history by winning a game in the NCAA tourney and defeating Purdue.  I would give him a lifetime contract if I could.

You have a point on Jalie but from what I have heard her already good recruiting is fixing to skyrocket with an additional extension.  Can she coach?  Can she win?  Remains a question but she is a very good recruiter without question.

My biggest concern for Jalie is she has a lot of turnover but that could be a sign of the times.

They are both the best coaches we have had in those positions in a long time.

Also, I see these extensions as just keeping the Tulsa Tulane G5 lower P5's away.  If the Texas/Baylor etc job is offered to either they take it no matter what our buyout is.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

I disagree about McCasland as he made history by winning a game in the NCAA tourney and defeating Purdue.  I would give him a lifetime contract if I could.

If you're in support of this, it's not just because of the 2021 postseason.  It's because Grant has established himself, with 3 'ships in 4 years, as more than just a one-hit wonder.  Well beyond the McCarney's of the world.

If you're against this, it's because UNT shouldn't ever be in a position where one coach is bigger than you and you just open your wallet for them.

I'm sitting somewhere in between these views.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, greenminer said:

If you're in support of this, it's not just because of the 2021 postseason.  It's because Grant has established himself, with 3 'ships in 4 years, as more than just a one-hit wonder.  Well beyond the McCarney's of the world.

The situations are completely different. Mccasland is a proven winner and still relatively young with lots to prove. Mccarney was a long time head coach with a 30-game under .500 record that found a sweet no pressure retirement gig at North Texas.

Edit: to be clear I’m emphasizing your point which I agree with 100%. It doesn’t really read that way. 

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, greenminer said:

If you're against this, it's because UNT shouldn't ever be in a position where one coach is bigger than you and you just open your wallet for them.

41368371.jpg

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

The situations are completely different. Mccasland is a proven winner and still relatively young with lots to prove. Mccarney was a long time head coach with a 30-game under .500 record that found a sweet no pressure retirement gig at North Texas.

Edit: to be clear I’m emphasizing your point which I agree with 100%. It doesn’t really read that way. 

Yeah, I gotcha.

You touched on one reason I'm halfway between these points: Grant is still very young, has shown he is on a mission, and we could be the beneficiaries.

I would say this about McCarney, in the aftermath of the bowl win, it wasn't even on our radar that he felt zero pressure or that he was of retirement mindset.  We thought we had a winning/national championship guy that was bringing his winning formula to Denton.  I hope we learned a lesson from that.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Yeah, I gotcha.

You touched on one reason I'm halfway between these points: Grant is still very young, has shown he is on a mission, and we could be the beneficiaries.

Definitely. He’s the only coach of ours that I recall saying publicly his goal is to win a national championship at North Texas.  Maybe other than 1950s golf coach. 

• Upvote 3

• Brett Vito changed the title to Updated: DRC -- UNT finalizes extensions with McCasland, Mitchell (buyout info for McCasland)

McCasland is the best coach at this university right now, and one of the best in athletics history. Of course Odus Mitchell, Hayden Fry, Bill Blakely, Jimmy Gales and you could say John Hedlund for soccer.

I can’t fathom anyone here not supporting this contract extension for McCasland, unless you want him gone and start over again.

• Upvote 6

I certainly am glad NT is doing everything possible to keep McCasland happy. 

Mitchell had a sudden and disappointing end in the tournament.   However, she also had the best record she has ever had and seems to have a loaded team next year. 

Signing coaches to long term contracts is always a big risk for schools that don't have access to the money not to have to worry about buyouts. 

I trust NT athletic leadership headed by the President and AD much more any previous administration.   

• Upvote 7

I am still unsure about how good Mitchell is, and considering she has been here for 6 (is that correct) seasons . That doesn't scream extension 4 seasons beyond the here and now to me.

McCasland has absolutely proven that he is worth a long term commitment by the school.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, outoftown said:

I am still unsure about how good Mitchell is, and considering she has been here for 6 (is that correct) seasons . That doesn't scream extension 4 seasons beyond the here and now to me.

McCasland has absolutely proven that he is worth a long term commitment by the school.

I have to agree with you.  Everybody wants Jalie to do so well, they imagine she actually has.  Jalie has only had one winning season in conference in the 6 years she has been here, and she went 6-12 in C-USA the year before last.  Here's hoping she turned the corner last year, but the body of evidence is lacking.

• Upvote 5

On 7/27/2021 at 4:32 PM, outoftown said:

She has been here long enough to establish herself as a head coach.  Not making excuses but Pedersen and Stephenson about killed the program.  

She doesn't deserve the big extension, but I think what your seeing has more to do with political correctness.   Giving a white man an extension and ignoring the black woman, just won't fly.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I have to agree with you.  Everybody wants Jalie to do so well, they imagine she actually has.  Jalie has only had one winning season in conference in the 6 years she has been here, and she went 6-12 in C-USA the year before last.  Here's hoping she turned the corner last year, but the body of evidence is lacking.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you, and think that long of an extension may be premature. BUT of all of our coaches in history, she’s probably the one that deserves the most benefit of the doubt. I’ve met her once when she sat right behind us at the football game at SMU a few years ago. She LOVES North Texas. It’s not one of those “I’m a big supporter because I’m on the payroll” sort of things. I wish her and her team received more support from us. 

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with you, and think that long of an extension may be premature. BUT of all of our coaches in history, she’s probably the one that deserves the most benefit of the doubt. I’ve met her once when she sat right behind us at the football game at SMU a few years ago. She LOVES North Texas. It’s not one of those “I’m a big supporter because I’m on the payroll” sort of things. I wish her and her team received more support from us. 

Well stated Matt.  I would also add, she is a terrific recruiter and at the G5 level that is the main ingredient you want.  I wish she didn't have as much turnover, and I wish she would do better in conference games but you can't question that she has improved the overall program since she arrived.  The only thing I worry about now is having Karen at UTSA as she will provide a lot of competition in recruiting that wasn't there before. 

On 7/26/2021 at 3:42 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

McCasland is the best coach at this university right now, and one of the best in athletics history. Of course Odus Mitchell, Hayden Fry, Bill Blakely, Jimmy Gales and you could say John Hedlund for soccer.

You could say John Hedlund for soccer? (He's still here ya know?)

Hedlund is head and shoulders above anyone, in any sport, that has coached at North Texas, at any time. All the dude does is win.  Starts program from scratch - has winning seasons for next 26 years straight. 16 Conference Championships - 8 Runner Up.- 7 NCAA appearances.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, adman said:

You could say John Hedlund for soccer? (He's still here ya know?)

Hedlund is head and shoulders above anyone, in any sport, that has coached at North Texas, at any time. All the dude does is win.  Starts program from scratch - has winning seasons for next 26 years straight. 16 Conference Championships - 8 Runner Up.- 7 NCAA appearances.

Of course I know he’s here haha but I was really referring to basketball/football coaches

Hedlund has been amazing since he built the program, no doubt he’s awesome. But he’s not the best coach here at UNT at this point in time.

• Downvote 1

On 7/26/2021 at 3:04 PM, greenminer said:

how it seems to me anytime a coach has any kind of success here at North Texas. GM has earned his money and an extension though…but yeah I see what you’re saying. 

shut up and take my money GIF by Product Hunt