AAC wants to try to poach at least some remaining Big 12 teams, cites TV deal: “We’ve already got ESPN at the table.”

meangreen11

What has become apparent over the past 48 hours is that the AAC does not expect to sit back and wait for its best teams to field interest from elsewhere. The AAC plans to act as an aggressor, multiple high-ranking sources within the conference tell The Athletic. It will try to poach the Big 12’s leftovers, perhaps as a group.

…“The Big 12 appears to be weakened and in a state of panic because their two anchor schools are gone and can’t be replaced,” one AAC source said Friday night. “I do think we can be an aggressor. I feel like our league is pretty stable.”

…After Oklahoma and Texas officially declare their intention to leave the Big 12, the source expects the remaining eight schools to gauge interest from the Pac-12. The AAC could get its own crack at the eight leftovers if the Pac-12 opts against making any additions, or it could try to grab whoever is left if the Pac-12 does pick off a few.

Multiple sources believe [Mike] Aresco, the AAC commissioner, is committed to trying such a tactic.LM

read more: https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/aac-big-12-expansion-espn.html

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

The MAC should aggressively go after ISU, KU, KSU, and Wichita State (basketball but no football) if that is the case.  The AAC is a shadow of the Big East and it’s current geographic footprint is nonsense.  Of all former big boy conferences that broke up they had the most resources and messed up the worst IMO.  A restructured conference built from western, AAC, Sun Belt and CUSA schools should aggressively go after Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU and OSU.  

The ideal conference from UNT perspective:

Baylor

TCU

SMU

Rice

Oklahoma State

Tulsa

Houston

La Tech

UNT

Tulane

Texas Tech

Southern Miss

UAB

Louisiana (ULL)

This conference has interesting games every weekend for everyone.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Why doesn't CUSA become the "aggressor" and poach some Big 12 castoffs?  I mean, Commissioner Judy McLeod could actively, uh, umm, maybe try, umm..................oh, never mind.

I want to meet the person who gave a "roll eyes" response to a post making fun of Commish Judy.  Today I Learned there are Judy supporters.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 4

I like the move by the AAC. But at the end of the day, I still say no way TTech or Ok State looks at being in a conference with Tulsa, Tulane, Temple or ECU and says “ok sure let’s do that”

Those are teams they pay for body bag games now they’re gonna be in the same conference? I don’t see it. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Let’s call this what it is.  This is “let’s bring them to us (unlikely) before they take the best of us (far more likely)”  

Still, I gotta commend the American Airlines Conference for trying to be proactive as opposed to the CUSA’s “let’s hope for decent leftovers” approach.  

All the AAC did by going public this soon was to make sure the B12 would contact the schools it was interested in ASAP. Either a stupid move, or a well planed move to get the B12 to take some of their teams and Aresco wants to be the next B12 commissioner

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

KU is a yes, but I’d be shocked to see OSU get invited up there. They aren’t in the AAU academic research group like everyone else is (except Nebraska, who got kicked out of the AAU shortly after they got Big Ten membership). 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

KU is a yes, but I’d be shocked to see OSU get invited up there. They aren’t in the AAU academic research group like everyone else is (except Nebraska, who got kicked out of the AAU shortly after they got Big Ten membership). 

KU football in the B10 could see some historic losses

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

KU football in the B10 could see some historic losses

Prolly—but those teams can use the breather instead of another huge game. Their way with the B1G is the academic AAU ranking and their market to get to add for viewers. Men’s hoops being a top 3 player in the sport is their other ACE.

• Upvote 1

On 7/27/2021 at 4:00 AM, Arkstfan said:

Yeah I remember when Karl Benson was going to pick the MWC apart as they got raided. 

OU and Texas are making more money by getting away from lower value programs. The top of AAC and/or MWC will do the same joining Big XII. 

I know it is somewhat of a pipe dream but I damned sure hope our president and AD are talking to the remaining eight schools about NT joining the Big12. Also talking to Houston and SMU about regional options. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I know it is somewhat of a pipe dream but I damned sure hope our president and AD are talking to the remaining eight schools about NT joining the Big12. Also talking to Houston and SMU about regional options. 

Agree 100%. The more I look at this I think the Pac10 and Big10 have no incentive to add any of the leftover Big 12 schools.  Everyone would love to add Notre Dame but I think they would prefer to remain independent.  And I don’t see SEC adding anymore teams because it will push too close to monopolistic practices.  They will be able to add UT and OU and will stick With that for the time being.  

Each of the leftover Big 12 teams will be incentivized to keep the Big 12 in place for awhile because UT and OU owe them about 20 million smackeroos each as long as the Big 12 remains intact.  The Big 12 Will raid AAC but they will not share any of the leftover big 12 money with any of the new additions.

Here’s the most perverse thing.  The Big 12 should make moves to create a revised SWC by adding Houston and SMU etc but they won’t because Baylor, Tech and TCU are concerned that doing so will elevate those programs into bigger and better programs than they are because of where they are located (Dallas and Houston).