TCU to PAC 12 ?

greenjoe

The author of that piece lost me at “TCU has a large following in Southern California.”  Not sure how large a following TCU has outside Tarrant County (although today I did see an old TCU pennant at a Weatherford eatery).  

Congressman (& TCU super alum Roger Williams) must be very sick about all this, but he really does a good job of evangelizing Parker County for Frogdom.  

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Haha 2

If all this crap goes down would it be worth trying to form a geographical conference.   There will be no money left for anyone else so travel could be very costly for conferences that are spread all over the country.   I hope when the music stops were not left standing.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ADLER said:

No, you're standing under an oak tree and acorns frequently drop.

➡️Addendum:  WHAT TCU MADE IN P5 TV REVENUE IN JUST ONE RECENT YEAR WOULD HAVE PAID FOR (most or all) OUR FABULOUS LOVELACE*MCNATT FAMILY INDOOR PRACTICE FACILITY. 
••• Like you, ADLER, (& others) I’m an ideas guy.  Hellsbells! I once had Alfred Frances Hurley come up to me at Fouts & thank me for some general student recruiting ideas which I sent to his office since tech school recruiting is what I did for 25 years.  Dr. Hurley & Joanne were 2 of the best, except he just didn’t completely grasp what all the advantages an NCAA D1 athletics existence could be for UNT. 

🦅🦅🦅 My hope is that 2 or 3 P5 outcasts who don’t land in a super conference will open up a new portal for a future as a P5 Major Independent because....that will be the only path our favorite school will ever have to raise ourselves above where we’ve always been.  And OldDenton, please don’t freakin’ say how we would be sacrificing having “all conference” teams. 

Back in the day, TCU went rogue & left behind all their prior Texas intercollegiate ties (SMU & UH) when they joined the MWC, but I think they knew then that would not be their final stop.  

Might be an outside shot with all the present realignment hoopla happening, but wouldn’t surprise me to see TCU consider Major Independent status so they can continue their “rogue’ness” & non-association with those they previously had no interest in being associated with.  
All this going on in the NCAA is better than the Olympics. . 

🦅

PS: On the other hand, TCU may for the moment kiss & make up with SMU & UH while singing kum bah yah, but they will always be looking for better (as I think UNT is doing now with Wren Baker at the helm).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Time for the Belt and CUSA to merge?

No, except on paper to collectively negotiate media rights packages and bowl tie in packages.  The “little guys” need to stop stabbing each other in the back and throwing up their skirts every time a blue blood flirts with them using sexy lines like “we will tolerate your existence on the field with us or even as a conference whipping boy”.   SMU, TCU, UNT, Houston, and Rice should have been a conference together when the SWC dissolved.  Those 4 together could have added teams like, UTEP, Tulsa, Tulane, Arkansas State, La Tech, UAB, Troy and Southern Miss.   The goal is that you want be able to pitch media rights packages with the selling point of having interest (albeit secondary)  in medium to large cities throughout Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.  Maybe if the conference  efficient and effective even Texas Tech would have come on board this round when the Big 12 dies. 

Geographically Sun Belt and CUSA East teams are in a different boat.  Just like schools in the state of Texas anchors that’s conference I proposed in the previous paragraph, schools in Florida and Georgia should anchor their new conference Sun Belt, CUSA, and AAC refugees.   ECU, ODU, FAU, MTSU, Western Kentucky, Charlotte, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, App-State, Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, USF, FAU, FIU.  That is a 15 team conference already.  I don’t know what you do with Temple and UConn.  Any conference East of the Mississippi would gladly take their basketball programs but their football 🤷🏽‍♂️.  Would this new 16 team football conference just  begrudgingly take Temple in all sports and tell UConn all their programs are welcomed except football?   Temple, UConn and Cincinnati make more sense in a 16 team MAC.  (Memphis would need to go with them to make it 16 and that make that Florida/Georgia anchored conference 14 which is perfect)

AAC, CUSA, Sun Belt need to have a summit to figure this out and the schools need to approach the whole thing like they are equals.  We are stronger together.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

No, except on paper to collectively negotiate media rights packages and bowl tie in packages.  The “little guys” need to stop stabbing each other in the back and throwing up their skirts every time a blue blood flirts with them using sexy lines like “we will tolerate your existence on the field with us or even as a conference whipping boy”.   SMU, TCU, UNT, Houston, and Rice should have been a conference together when the SWC dissolved.  Those 4 together could have added teams like, UTEP, Tulsa, Tulane, Arkansas State, La Tech, UAB, Troy and Southern Miss.   The goal is that you want be able to pitch media rights packages with the selling point of having interest (albeit secondary)  in medium to large cities throughout Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.  Maybe if the conference  efficient and effective even Texas Tech would have come on board this round when the Big 12 dies. 

Geographically Sun Belt and CUSA East teams are in a different boat.  Just like schools in the state of Texas anchors that’s conference I proposed in the previous paragraph, schools in Florida and Georgia should anchor their new conference Sun Belt, CUSA, and AAC refugees.   ECU, ODU, FAU, MTSU, Western Kentucky, Charlotte, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, App-State, Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, USF, FAU, FIU.  That is a 15 team conference already.  I don’t know what you do with Temple and UConn.  Any conference East of the Mississippi would gladly take their basketball programs but their football 🤷🏽‍♂️.  Would this new 16 team football conference just  begrudgingly take Temple in all sports and tell UConn all their programs are welcomed except football?   Temple, UConn and Cincinnati make more sense in a 16 team MAC.  (Memphis would need to go with them to make it 16 and that make that Florida/Georgia anchored conference 14 which is perfect)

AAC, CUSA, Sun Belt need to have a summit to figure this out and the schools need to approach the whole thing like they are equals.  We are stronger together.

This make sense. We (UNT) need to be proactive and realistic and try and force CUSA to come up with a survival plan. A CUSA merger with the Sun Belt and dividing the teams in East/West divisions could dramatically cut down on cost. If the AAC loses teams they will have the pick of other G5 conferences and who knows where that will lead as they are probably more interested in MWC schools than CUSA, Belt, or MAC schools. If the eastern CUSA teams decide to go the route of the MAC or Belt, the Texas schools might be left with few choices. If SMU does not move up we are not going to the AAC. Perhaps UNT and UTSA should make a package deal and approach the MWC. We might hate UTSA but they have a large potential market. Not sure how UTEP and NMSU survive this and stay in FBS. They have both been trying to get in the MWC conference for years and there has been no interest.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This make sense. We (UNT) need to be proactive and realistic and try and force CUSA to come up with a survival plan. A CUSA merger with the Sun Belt and dividing the teams in East/West divisions could dramatically cut down on cost. If the AAC loses teams they will have the pick of other G5 conferences and who knows where that will lead as they are probably more interested in MWC schools than CUSA, Belt, or MAC schools. If the eastern CUSA teams decide to go the route of the MAC or Belt, the Texas schools might be left with few choices. If SMU does not move up we are not going to the AAC. Perhaps UNT and UTSA should make a package deal and approach the MWC. We might hate UTSA but they have a large potential market. Not sure how UTEP and NMSU survive this and stay in FBS. They have both been trying to get in the MWC conference for years and there has been no interest.

That MWC invite isn’t coming our way anytime soon UNLESS the Big XII leftovers decide to stay together and add in teams from the MWC and AAC. That seems very doubtful to me, at this point, since both of those conferences have TV deals already set up. The Big XII’s deals are DOA in 2025.

• Upvote 1

THIS HURTS!  •••UTSA is now ahead of us for the MWC & if they had similar across the board athletic facilities as UNT (& they are not even close) they’d get the first call over any of us IMO.

They have a handful of games they drew over 35-40,000 at the AlamoDome in their early years—KFC or no KFC.
The idea of a 40K Apogee freaks some of you out.    (Oh! We have to fill Apogee 40 x’s in a row then think about it, right)? Meanwhile SWT State just joined the Big 12. •••Sarcasm?  Hell yes, sarcasm! After 50 years of head banging on the Piss Wall at Fouts you might actually get that way.  

•••Also, Utsa now has a real Coach with Texas HS connections whose kicking arse on the recruiting trail. (Of course, he won’t be there long). 

Lets face some reality here which is not easy for some on GMG (including me).   They have a destination city & the Alamo—we have Denton & “the Little Chapel in the Woods.”  
5-4-3-2...🙄

Hey! We still 💚wuv’ our favorite school, though, a school whose across the board upside (IMHO) still tops any in CUSA & some in the AAC.
We just have to get to work & have several winning seasons in a row with some ranked teams—no more freakin’ detours.

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Why are people against a merger? Conferences could regionalize and greatly reduce cost?

And greatly reduce interest.

20 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

You DO realize who the CUSA commissioner is, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, Rudy said:

And greatly reduce interest.

You DO realize who the CUSA commissioner is, right?

Yes, that is why I would hope we go with the Belt's commissioner. I think the longer Judy stays around the more every fan in CUSA knows their school is not serious about football

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

THIS HURTS!  •••THE CITY OF SAN ANTONIO is now ahead of us for the MWC & if they had similar across the board athletic facilities as UNT (& they are not even close) they’d get the first call over any of us IMO.

@PlummMeanGreen What is working in their favor is the "potential" of San Antonio. UTSA just happens to be the name of the school fielding the team.

• Upvote 2

On 7/24/2021 at 9:59 PM, southsideguy said:

If all this crap goes down would it be worth trying to form a geographical conference.   There will be no money left for anyone else so travel could be very costly for conferences that are spread all over the country.   I hope when the music stops were not left standing.

Why the hell not on a geographical conference?  We mean no more to CUSA-East than CUSA-West means to them.

TV?😆 Gimmee’ a break.
What is the CUSA President going to have as our future TV revenue & compensation?  Maybe beads, pottery, baskets, and woven mats?
See what greed does to the “just gotta have more” crowd? They just want more & could care less if the G5 gets...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!  THIS SHOULD MEAN....WAR!😎

The NCAA is useless to the G5 in trying to help our group of schools & it’s fans.  Dang it!🙃

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

On 7/24/2021 at 5:42 PM, PlummMeanGreen said:

The author of that piece lost me at “TCU has a large following in Southern California.”  Not sure how large a following TCU has outside Tarrant County (although today I did see an old TCU pennant at a Weatherford eatery).  

Congressman (& TCU super alum Roger Williams) must be very sick about all this, but he really does a good job of evangelizing Parker County for Frogdom.  

🦅

VERY large following. Believe it or not the majority of students at TCU are not from Texas. They are overwhelmingly Californians. 

D26881F1-073A-432A-80FE-4D7A953F2A64.jpeg

Edited by TheRiojas_AD
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2