If the SEC goes to 16 teams do other P5 Conferences follow?

It's going to be one of a few scenarios...

1. To your point, yes, 4-16 team conferences. 

2. If the Big12 stays, WVU to the ACC along with ND and the Big12 is able to backfill 9 programs into their conference to get to 16, it could justify keeping the P5 intact with 5-16 team conferences. 

A Texas A&M I believe beat writer posted this on his twitter account a few days ago with conviction...

Screenshot_20210723-145745.png

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

2. If the Big12 stays, WVU to the ACC along with ND and the Big12 is able to backfill 9 programs into their conference to get to 16, it could justify keeping the P5 intact with 5-16 team conferences. 

A Texas A&M I believe beat writer posted this on his twitter account a few days ago with conviction...

He’s a big stats guy and actually a Longhorn (he often DESTROYS A&M on Twitter and wrote a book about them)

He also predicted UT/OU to the SEC a year ago with the pandemic accelerating the shake up….

however while I would love to see that scenario above….I don’t see that 5th super conference being a P5 conference. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I am good with this today. Where do we sign?

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

He’s a big stats guy and actually a Longhorn (he often DESTROYS A&M on Twitter and wrote a book about them)

He also predicted UT/OU to the SEC a year ago with the pandemic accelerating the shake up….

however while I would love to see that scenario above….I don’t see that 5th super conference being a P5 conference. 

Yeah, no way would it be (It would be an amazing basketball conference though).  Heck, if the reports of the SEC wanting to go to 18 or 20 teams is true, we'd probably be looking at three conferences at most in whatever the successor of the NCAA is going to be. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Will the other P5 conferences try to expand? Could it end up with four 16 team conferences and ND?

There aren’t four move the needle programs Pac12 can add. 
Boise Stare? Just another Washington State in Pac12. 

Look at the remaining Big 12. Who can increase the take home pay of their potential home? 

Kansas. Maybe. In there era of conference networks KU hoops has a lot of value. Iowa State and Oklahoma State are pretty good but second fiddles in their states and not a lot of brand name that draws casual viewers. 

Why on earth would PAC-12 or B1G or ACC want to travel to Waco or Lubbock if it isn’t boosting their money? Texas and OU likely represent half the $370 million the Big 12 distributed.

Nobody goes to 16 for the sake of 16. They go there to put more dollars in their pockets. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

What happens to Army and Navy? They have to be in the picture somewhere.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

There aren’t four move the needle programs Pac12 can add. 
Boise Stare? Just another Washington State in Pac12. 

Look at the remaining Big 12. Who can increase the take home pay of their potential home? 

Kansas. Maybe. In there era of conference networks KU hoops has a lot of value. Iowa State and Oklahoma State are pretty good but second fiddles in their states and not a lot of brand name that draws casual viewers. 

Why on earth would PAC-12 or B1G or ACC want to travel to Waco or Lubbock if it isn’t boosting their money? Texas and OU likely represent half the $370 million the Big 12 distributed.

Nobody goes to 16 for the sake of 16. They go there to put more dollars in their pockets. 

The PAC12 needs a rebranding boost and a more competitive persona. If I'm them I'm adding programs and especially Texas programs so it gets us into the state for recruiting purposes. It makes sense. It also makes sense for schools like TT, TCU and even OSU to be panic jump into a new home for the sake of having a new home. For TCU it'd be somewhat familiar territory. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, Coach_1976 said:

I don't see South Florida and UCF coming to the Big 12 that is a geographic  nightmare for them. I think the best would be to hold TT and TCU for geography and See how UNT can compete..

If the Big XII invites South and Central Florida, they jump at that, just as Houston will.  A major upgrade in conference affiliation trumps geography.

• Upvote 1