Green Glasses and Jealously

It never ceases to amaze me how many on here want to see so many other schools fail or be "knocked-down" and complaining about how they don't deserve to be in "X" conference or the ongoing UNT should be in a P5 conference (even though until recently we had 40+ years of administrations and alums who didn't care about athletics). I can understand the desire for UNT to improve, but I the obsession and hatred for other schools and constantly worrying and complaining about them is strange. Truth be told, we would love to be in SMU's place, or Baylor. If we were in A&M's place we would be doing the same thing they are (PS - Texas is the one who has refused to paly them in football)  

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 3

UNT screwed UNT. UNT did not start investing into athletics or building a fanbase until 2010. 

UNT made the decision to drop down to FCS. UNT made the decision to not try the Big 8, SEC or Independence after getting rejected by the SWC.

UNT made the decision to not keep alumni involved. UNT made the decision to not have a booster program until recently.

UNT can't get be upset and/or bitter with SMU, Baylor, UH, UT or whoever the boogeyman is this time around.

UNT dislikes UTSA because they finally had someone to look down upon after being the most disrespected Texas FBS school for decades but UTSA and UNT are in the same boat in the grand scheme of things.

Again UNT can only blame UNT for the current athletics dilemma.

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

It never ceases to amaze me how many on here want to see so many other schools fail or be "knocked-down" and complaining about how they don't deserve to be in "X" conference or the ongoing UNT should be in a P5 conference (even though until recently we had 40+ years of administrations and alums who didn't care about athletics). I can understand the desire for UNT to improve, but I the obsession and hatred for other schools and constantly worrying and complaining about them is strange. Truth be told, we would love to be in SMU's place, or Baylor. If we were in A&M's place we would be doing the same thing they are (PS - Texas is the one who has refused to paly them in football)  

I can't speak for everyone on this board, but the only school that I hope burns in hell is smut.

Death to SMUt!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Soapbox Part 2:

Regarding looking at other programs (SMU, etc)

there are 2 paths here to going next level. Lean on your past…meaning the media still associates you with former conference mates or have substance by winning consistently and winning big games. 

We can’t take advantage of the former and are going to have to go the route of the latter. 

SMU hasn’t done anything of substance. Even with their recent improvement, they still haven’t won the conference or had a big bowl win. They certainly have potential but they haven’t done it yet. However they’re being mentioned as a candidate to move up just because 1) Conferences need numbers and teams and they are there by default. And 2) There’s a memory of them  in the SWC. We can’t do that. 

Boise and UCF don’t have a past to lean on. They just started winning. And winning big games and beating people. That’s what we have to do. We have to do it and earn it with substance. 

UH actually has both. They have the SWC to lean on and they legit went to the top of G5 with a BCS level bowl win, recruited a 5 star and all the other stuff happened after. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2

SMU to their credit has done a tremendous marketing job on fan and players. They have done a good job keeping their "name" in the mix, and they have done a tremendous job selling transfers on the vale of an SMU degree (would be interesting to look back in a few years and see how many of these transfers end up graduating. It also does not hurt that the have boosters with deep pockets.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

SMU to their credit has done a tremendous marketing job on fan and players. They have done a good job keeping their "name" in the mix, and they have done a tremendous job selling transfers on the vale of an SMU degree (would be interesting to look back in a few years and see how many of these transfers end up graduating. It also does not hurt that the have boosters with deep pockets.

They were good last year, decent the few years before that. That's it. They sellout their stadium the same way we do, they don't. We're at the northern most tip of the metroplex, they're in the heart of it. If they're supposed to have all this muscle to flex and historic firepower, the city of Dallas doesn't seem to give a damn. We need to quit swinging around on their dingleberries. 

We maneuver ourselves into the best case scenario, and we should've been doing it in 2017. If that best case means we're forever playing the likes of UTEP and utsa then we all need to agree to quit running the financial rat race and drop down to FCS and quit trying to smear lipstick on this pig. This is the moment, we're in or we're out. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Rant wrap up:

bottom line here is marketing, donors, attendance, facilities….all important. But it falls squarely on Seth Littrell’s shoulders. WIN. just win. Every game. Go win.  I don’t want to hear “even when we win they don’t come”

YES they do. We’ve never REALLY won. We’ve shown Flashes. But we have to get on ESPN…big wins. Then this sleeping giant we’ve been talking about for years will finally show. 

This is what was at Apogee after 4-0 with a win against Arkansas. We showed. Coaches didn’t. 

3B4427B0-188E-4945-997C-729CFF10ED3A.jpeg

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Rant wrap up:

bottom line here is marketing, donors, attendance, facilities….all important. But it falls squarely on Seth Littrell’s shoulders. WIN. just win. Every game. Go win.  I don’t want to hear “even when we win they don’t come”

YES they do. We’ve never REALLY won. We’ve shown Flashes. But we have to get on ESPN…big wins. Then this sleeping giant we’ve been talking about for years will finally show. 

This is what was at Apogee after 4-0 with a win against Arkansas. We showed. Coaches didn’t. 

No doubt. I walked away disgusted. I already knew we were in a coaching blunder a few years before that when UNT went into UTEP in 2016 with bowl eligibility on the line at 5-6 up against a 3-8 UTEP team. UNT gets railroaded 52-24. That's when I knew we had issues, philosophically and coaching. This game you post about, along with many others, have solidified my 2016 impression vs UTEP. Good coaches, even with an average at best team doesn't lose games like that, let alone get ran out of town.. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

No doubt. I walked away disgusted. I already knew we were in a coaching blunder a few years before that when UNT went into UTEP in 2016 with bowl eligibility on the line at 5-6 up against a 3-8 UTEP team. UNT gets railroaded 52-24. That's when I knew we had issues, philosophically and coaching. This game you post about, along with many others, have solidified my 2016 impression vs UTEP. Good coaches, even with an average at best team doesn't lose games like that, let alone get ran out of town.. 

and the other thing…..put  SMU in our position. They don’t fill 98% of their stadium vs La Tech. Yet they’re mentioned as “move up” candidates. 

all we have to do is win. Littrell has to win. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Rant wrap up:

2 things:

1. That game was the downfall of the Seth Littrell era.

2. We are a basketball school, and it’s time to embrace it.

• Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

2 things:

I'm fully ready to embrace #2. That means pushing Littrell out and neglecting football KU style. Next HFC gets 1/3 the salary that SL gets and McCasland needs to be a multi-million a year coach with the expectations to boot. Let's turn The Pit into a crown jewel or convince UNT to rip it down and build a state of the art 7-8k seat Arena. 

I'm not opposed to it at all, and I'm 100% a football guy. But we're teetering in the land of the unknown. Let's go be great at something. 

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

2 things:

How are we a BB school? We had a great year and won our first NCAA game. Does that qualify us as a BB school? If GM leaves after next year does this change?

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Rant wrap up:

We were there that night, the team seemed a little off...and the blocked FG....geezus.... But Im still a fan....still send money to MGSF...... maybe this is the year....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

How are we a BB school? We had a great year and won our first NCAA game. Does that qualify us as a BB school? If GM leaves after next year does this change?

Men's basketball is clearly the more stable program. McCasland is the best coach at UNT right now, and the program has the best projections talent wise. The Purdue win pretty much stapled UNT as a basketball school because it was something that hasn't happened ever. No bowl win we have had could match what the 2019-20/2020-21 MBB teams did. 

My opinion though

• Upvote 1