Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

SMU one of the top candidates to join the Big 12 if Texas, Oklahoma jump to SEC


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

AAC OR BUST FOR UNT!

If things really do go to Super Conferences, it’s honestly BIG XII or bust. Five 16-team Super Conferences probably means anyone not in that group of 80 schools might as well be playing FCS.

  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's realistic to think that AAC, CUSA, and SBC will all end up in 2 large G4 conferences at the end of it all, with a few giving up pretenses and going back to FCS.  We need to be in the Top 80 as noted above.  Try to work with Rice and La Tech to get there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

AAC OR BUST FOR UNT!

The AAC without Cincy, Memphis, UH and UCF is not the AAC anymore. It’s the exact same scenario when we moved to CUSA. We’ll just be in a conference with the name of AAC made up of ECU, Tulsa, Tulane and any other CUSA schools that “move up”

the AAC money will go away too. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Texas Stranger said:

It's realistic to think that AAC, CUSA, and SBC will all end up in 2 large G4 conferences at the end of it all, with a few giving up pretenses and going back to FCS.  We need to be in the Top 80 as noted above.  Try to work with Rice and La Tech to get there.

Have to think there’s going to be a new division between the power conferences and FCS. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

If things really do go to Super Conferences, it’s honestly BIG XII or bust. Five 16-team Super Conferences probably means anyone not in that group of 80 schools might as well be playing FCS.

No way if it goes that route there’s five sixteen-team conferences.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

If things really do go to Super Conferences, it’s honestly BIG XII or bust. Five 16-team Super Conferences probably means anyone not in that group of 80 schools might as well be playing FCS.

If things go to super conferences, i think the idea of the big 12 may be gone entirely. I think there would only be four 16 team conferences. So, unless Ok St., TTU, WVa, Rice and Baylor try to bandaid the whole thing together there isn't going to be a Big 12

there will be multiple conferences dying and being born. it will be a full restructure

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

AAC OR BUST FOR UNT!

Won’t this turn into a repeat of back when we “upgraded”. to CUSA how half of that league had left & then several in the Sun Belt would be our traveling pals in our new league? 
Who stays in the AAC when all the Super Conference cherry picking is done? 
Will the G5 more or less be re-arranging the deck chairs, but that’s about it? 

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, meanrob said:

No way if it goes that route there’s five sixteen-team conferences.  

17 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

If things go to super conferences, i think the idea of the big 12 may be gone entirely. I think there would only be four 16 team conferences. So, unless Ok St., TTU, WVa, Rice and Baylor try to bandaid the whole thing together there isn't going to be a Big 12

there will be multiple conferences dying and being born. it will be a full restructure

Yeah idk how exactly it goes down. Point is if UNT gets left out of whatever super conferences are created, AAC vs CUSA probably doesn’t make all that much of a difference. Certainly not to the point of considering AAC membership the “boom” and staying in CUSA the “bust.”

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Won’t this turn into a repeat of back when we “upgraded”. to CUSA how half of that league had left & then several in the Sun Belt would be our traveling pals in our new league? 
Who stays in the AAC when all the Super Conference cherry picking is done? 
Will the G5 more or less be re-arranging the deck chairs, but that’s about it? 

The "G5" schools aren't going to help themselves here....they think they will be in this new college football world...they won't. Someone needs to get them together and talk common sense.

Simple question: is there a viable option for the G5 to form its own thing? The only way it works is if they go regional. (talking to you SMU.....you are not going to be at this new table)

How much money are schools going to continue to throw down the drain? I look for a some programs to go FCS or drop football all together. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

The AAC without Cincy, Memphis, UH and UCF is not the AAC anymore. It’s the exact same scenario when we moved to CUSA. We’ll just be in a conference with the name of AAC made up of ECU, Tulsa, Tulane and any other CUSA schools that “move up”

the AAC money will go away too. 

MWC anyone???

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

What's not to follow?  This will be the beginning of the super conferences.  Big 10 will take teams to get to 16.  Apparently Kansas is already in talks with them.  Notre Dame is maybe the biggest name/brand available for them to take to help reach "super conference" status.

Well, yeah...it's no secret the Big 10 has wanted Notre Dame for decades, and this will make the Big 10 want Notre Dame all the more.  But why would it all of sudden make Notre Dame want to join the Big 10?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

If things really do go to Super Conferences, it’s honestly BIG XII or bust. Five 16-team Super Conferences probably means anyone not in that group of 80 schools might as well be playing FCS.

So we don’t get a chance in the play off picture at this time? Do we really give a $hyt? Win conference titles and bowl games and I am  a happy camper. Play offs will continue to be expanded when they see how much $$$ are being made. Talking billions! GMG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Yeah idk how exactly it goes down. Point is if UNT gets left out of whatever super conferences are created, AAC vs CUSA probably doesn’t make all that much of a difference. Certainly not to the point of considering AAC membership the “boom” and staying in CUSA the “bust.”

Agreed 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

The "G5" schools aren't going to help themselves here....they think they will be in this new college football world...they won't. Someone needs to get them together and talk common sense.

Simple question: is there a viable option for the G5 to form its own thing? The only way it works is if they go regional. (talking to you SMU.....you are not going to be at this new table)

How much money are schools going to continue to throw down the drain? I look for a some programs to go FCS or drop football all together. 

You don’t volunteer to go to the minor leagues, you get sent there. The G5 schools aren’t leaving the current structure until they are told they are no longer part of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

What's not to follow?  This will be the beginning of the super conferences.  Big 10 will take teams to get to 16.  Apparently Kansas is already in talks with them.  Notre Dame is maybe the biggest name/brand available for them to take to help reach "super conference" status.

So if the Big 10 is going to 16 teams Notre Dame will be one of the 2 additional schools if ND wants to.  The Big 10 is going get an answer from ND before accepting any other schools.  Once they get that answer then they will consider West Virgina but WV will probably need to make guarantees to upgrade their academic reputation in the coming years with penalties if they don’t reach certain goals in by specific dates (especially if ND joins).  I actually think this is bad for FBS as a whole.  The tougher these power conferences get fewer 1 loss and undefeated teams you will see past the midpoint of the season.  Your average FBS isn’t all that passionate about games outside their region featuring 2 loss teams. TV ratings will dip for those games and the contracts will reflect that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

So we don’t get a chance in the play off picture at this time? Do we really give a $hyt? Win conference titles and bowl games and I am  a happy camper. Play offs will continue to be expanded when they see how much $$$ are being made. Talking billions! GMG

XFL...AAF...all those failed leagues. No one cares if you aren't in the premiere league. The money will dry up and go to the big dogs

If we end up in 2nd tier football (P5 Mega conferences, Other Div 1s, FCS) no one really cares about you anymore (unless you are the QB from North Dakota).

I expect, if it goes that way, most Div-1 non-FCS will end up moving down. A few will cancel football entirely. The rest will have to follow the majority in those by necessity. Are you really going to tune in for Eastern Carolina vs UNLV bowl game championship? maybe if it's a Tuesday afternoon and I've had a lot to drink. 

  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

My guess is the Pac 12 wouldn't take any of these 4.

Yes, I think BYU, Boise State, San Diego State, and maybe even New Mexico or Hawaii would all have to say no to the terms they offer join the PAC 12 before they consider Big 12 leftovers.  How many non-TCU alumni and Fort Worth area residents are staying up to watch a 9:00 pm kickoff between USC and TCU.  Most the eyeballs on that game in the CST time zone will be there for USC  interest not interest or familiarity with TCU.  I don’t think the PAC 12 will offer any of the schools mentioned the same deal they gave Utah and Colorado.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d think SMU is a top pick AFTER BYU, Air Force, Colorado State, Boise, Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis, USF and UCF. 
 

I would expect Kansas has good shot at B1G but no one else in B12 is the sort of academic powerhouse and no one has a great national brand. KState ain’t who they were. WVU got snubbed before by ACC. If B1G says no to KU would ACC try to add a third blue blood and then a KState or OKST or Iowa State to balance travel?

I don’t see more than 5 B12 finding refuge and might only be just OU and UT. 
 

Logical play is to stay together if you can’t get into a P4 and really only B1G and ACC are options unless SEC wants to go over 16 and add a second blue blood in hoops. 
 

Assuming Kansas gets out and no one else then best play is get five more and best tv value out there is BYU so you want another western team and Boise and Air Force are best remaining brands but Colorado State isn’t an awful choice but after that New Mexico is best left and everyone else is either ugly geographically or on field or both.

One of Cincinnati and Temple are best choices if WVU can’t escape for travel, then you start looking at mixes of Houston, UCF, USF, and Memphis.

Dangerous time for MWC. After NMSU there’s no body in the west currently in FBS  looking that way. 

A MWC that loses one or more headliners is looking at something around Sun Belt level TV money. 
 

AAC will have enough left to backfill with where depending on the losses.

My expectation is come next playoff deal the P4 get auto bids and next best champ gets one unless they are worried about antitrust issues especially after knifing B12 then it will be top six champions. 
 

World looks like this:

Power 4 ACC B1G P12 SEC

Middle 3 AAC B12 MWC with MWC teetering if raided  

Others participating MAC and one or both of CUSA and Sun Belt. The bad outcome is for both CUSA and Sun Belt to around because it means they backfilled with FCS schools  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Would Nebraska considerer leaving the B10 and perhaps coming to a revamped B12? Before you say no, athletics at Nebraska have suffered probably more than anyone with realignments.  Do they want to continue being the bottom feeders of the B10?

No 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Would Nebraska considerer leaving the B10 and perhaps coming to a revamped B12? Before you say no, athletics at Nebraska have suffered probably more than anyone with realignments.  Do they want to continue being the bottom feeders of the B10?

How many people volunteer to take a big pay cut?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, meanrob said:

No way if it goes that route there’s five sixteen-team conferences.  

Exactly. Right now there are 65 P5 teams. No way it grows to 66 much less 80. 
 

The number is going to drop. 
 

The power leagues are made up of dogs and ticks. The dogs make the money and the ticks feed off the work of the dogs.

You take Nebraska, OU UT and TAMU off the schedules and KU off in hoops and who outside the respective fan bases cares? I’d just as soon watch Fresno and San Diego State as Baylor and Kansas State. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Similar Content

    • By Coach Andy Mac
      Former North Texas running back Tre Siggers looks as advertised early on in camp. He has experience and will be a great combo with the electric Ulysses Bentley. Siggers had a great game vs SMU in 2019 and a great relationship with assistant HC/RB coach Ra’Shaad Samples. Sample’s dad, Reginald Samples, is a legendary coach in Texas and coached Tre at Duncanville High School. SMU is really excited about its new transfers on offense like Siggers, tight end Grant Calcaterra and QB Tanner Mordecai. 
      read more:  https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-fall-camp-report-Jaxson-Dart-meeting-the-hype-169004498/#169004498_7
    • By meangreen11
      For simplicity let's look at it like this:   UT and OU are going to the SEC period end of story.  A&M may not like it but they are one vote.   The remaining Big 12 leftovers are going to try their very best to land in a P5 conference.  They are all in a disasterous situation but landing in a P5 at least gives them some semblance of hope.   Kansas has a great basketball program but their football sucks.  Could they be in the Big 10 for hoops sure - they would fit in fine but not in a million years for football. Texas Tech is talking PAC12 but does the PAC12 want their sub par academics?  Do Tech fans want to travel out west?   Baylor is talking ACC, and the ACC may like an entre into Texas but do Clemson and those types of programs want to travel into Waco?    TCU and Baylor may want to be in the PAC 12 with Tech but the PAC 12 in the past has shunned religious programs.  Would they make an exception?   Iowa State and K-State seem to be on an island as Iowa does not want ISU in the B10.  KState is interesting but not sure the B10 is dying to add them.   Big 12 could try to get on the offense and add some programs asap to keep alive.  Say Houston, UCF, USF Memphis, Cincy, SMU -- all of their top targets would be in the AAC.   This is how things look to me now but there are rumblings that the SEC may try to add more like Clemson and FSU...  if that happens wow this whole thing could blow up and we would just have one major conference.   I tend to doubt that the SEC will go there yet because I think they teeter on monopolistic practices and it would involve a lot of political wrangling but at this point who knows.   As is typical for UNT, we have to wait and see what happens with SMU.  If SMU were able to convince the Big 12 to take them (don't kid yourself they have money and political power) and the Big 12 was able to survive it could mean that the AAC adds UNT.   The problem is what is the AAC after being robbed by the Big 12?  Another C-USA?  
    • By Coach Andy Mac
      On a warm September night at Apogee Stadium, an offense led by then-junior quarterback Mason Fine put up 46 points for North Texas compared to Southern Methodist University’s 26. The aforementioned game was in 2018 and it is the last time North Texas had a significant triumph versus SMU on or off the field.
      Starting with its on-field performance, football has not found a way to make the annual Safeway Bowl close in the last two years, losing 49-27 in 2019 and 65-35 in 2020 — the latter of which was on the Mean Green’s home turf. Giving up a combined 114 points in the last two contests, North Texas’ defense has failed in stopping the likes of sophomore running back Ulysses Bentley IV who posted 19 carries for 227 yards and three touchdowns in 2020. It was the same story in 2019 when former SMU running back Xavier Jones tallied 16 carries for 127 yards and three touchdowns. 
      To make matters worse, however, the damage is not just being done on the ground. The Mean Green were likely ecstatic to see former SMU quarterback Shane Buechele enter the NFL draft this year. In two career games against North Texas, Buechele threw for a combined 636 yards and seven touchdowns while dismantling the Mean Green defense. The lone standout performer for North Texas in either game was former running back Tre Siggers who in 2019 rushed for 164 yards and a touchdown versus SMU. This offseason, Siggers joined the Mustangs via the transfer portal.
      Read more:  https://www.ntdaily.com/column-smu-is-beating-the-football-team-on-and-off-the-field/
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

  • Images




  • Tell a friend

    Love GoMeanGreen.com? Tell a friend!
  • What's going on Mean Green?

    1. 55

      If we’re talking a new head coach…

    2. 0

      ugvfycjhghvjbsljibaikmbawcgfdabkjeha

    3. 0

      ogvfycjhghvjbsljibaikmbawcgfdabkjeha

    4. 0

      iigvfycjhghvjbsljibaikmbawcgfdabkjeha

    5. 0

      egvfycjhghvjbsljibaikmbawcgfdabkjeha

  • Popular Contributors

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      14,791
    • Most Online
      1,865

    Newest Member
    favaki4216
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.