SMU one of the top candidates to join the Big 12 if Texas, Oklahoma jump to SEC

meangreen11

19 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

AAC OR BUST FOR UNT!

The AAC without Cincy, Memphis, UH and UCF is not the AAC anymore. It’s the exact same scenario when we moved to CUSA. We’ll just be in a conference with the name of AAC made up of ECU, Tulsa, Tulane and any other CUSA schools that “move up”

the AAC money will go away too. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Texas Stranger said:

It's realistic to think that AAC, CUSA, and SBC will all end up in 2 large G4 conferences at the end of it all, with a few giving up pretenses and going back to FCS.  We need to be in the Top 80 as noted above.  Try to work with Rice and La Tech to get there.

Have to think there’s going to be a new division between the power conferences and FCS. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

If things really do go to Super Conferences, it’s honestly BIG XII or bust. Five 16-team Super Conferences probably means anyone not in that group of 80 schools might as well be playing FCS.

No way if it goes that route there’s five sixteen-team conferences.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

If things really do go to Super Conferences, it’s honestly BIG XII or bust. Five 16-team Super Conferences probably means anyone not in that group of 80 schools might as well be playing FCS.

If things go to super conferences, i think the idea of the big 12 may be gone entirely. I think there would only be four 16 team conferences. So, unless Ok St., TTU, WVa, Rice and Baylor try to bandaid the whole thing together there isn't going to be a Big 12

there will be multiple conferences dying and being born. it will be a full restructure

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

AAC OR BUST FOR UNT!

Won’t this turn into a repeat of back when we “upgraded”. to CUSA how half of that league had left & then several in the Sun Belt would be our traveling pals in our new league? 
Who stays in the AAC when all the Super Conference cherry picking is done? 
Will the G5 more or less be re-arranging the deck chairs, but that’s about it? 

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, meanrob said:

17 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

If things go to super conferences, i think the idea of the big 12 may be gone entirely. I think there would only be four 16 team conferences. So, unless Ok St., TTU, WVa, Rice and Baylor try to bandaid the whole thing together there isn't going to be a Big 12

there will be multiple conferences dying and being born. it will be a full restructure

Yeah idk how exactly it goes down. Point is if UNT gets left out of whatever super conferences are created, AAC vs CUSA probably doesn’t make all that much of a difference. Certainly not to the point of considering AAC membership the “boom” and staying in CUSA the “bust.”

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Won’t this turn into a repeat of back when we “upgraded”. to CUSA how half of that league had left & then several in the Sun Belt would be our traveling pals in our new league? 
Who stays in the AAC when all the Super Conference cherry picking is done? 
Will the G5 more or less be re-arranging the deck chairs, but that’s about it? 

The "G5" schools aren't going to help themselves here....they think they will be in this new college football world...they won't. Someone needs to get them together and talk common sense.

Simple question: is there a viable option for the G5 to form its own thing? The only way it works is if they go regional. (talking to you SMU.....you are not going to be at this new table)

How much money are schools going to continue to throw down the drain? I look for a some programs to go FCS or drop football all together. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

The AAC without Cincy, Memphis, UH and UCF is not the AAC anymore. It’s the exact same scenario when we moved to CUSA. We’ll just be in a conference with the name of AAC made up of ECU, Tulsa, Tulane and any other CUSA schools that “move up”

the AAC money will go away too. 

MWC anyone???

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

What's not to follow?  This will be the beginning of the super conferences.  Big 10 will take teams to get to 16.  Apparently Kansas is already in talks with them.  Notre Dame is maybe the biggest name/brand available for them to take to help reach "super conference" status.

Well, yeah...it's no secret the Big 10 has wanted Notre Dame for decades, and this will make the Big 10 want Notre Dame all the more.  But why would it all of sudden make Notre Dame want to join the Big 10?

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

So we don’t get a chance in the play off picture at this time? Do we really give a $hyt? Win conference titles and bowl games and I am  a happy camper. Play offs will continue to be expanded when they see how much $$$ are being made. Talking billions! GMG

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Yeah idk how exactly it goes down. Point is if UNT gets left out of whatever super conferences are created, AAC vs CUSA probably doesn’t make all that much of a difference. Certainly not to the point of considering AAC membership the “boom” and staying in CUSA the “bust.”

Agreed 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

The "G5" schools aren't going to help themselves here....they think they will be in this new college football world...they won't. Someone needs to get them together and talk common sense.

Simple question: is there a viable option for the G5 to form its own thing? The only way it works is if they go regional. (talking to you SMU.....you are not going to be at this new table)

How much money are schools going to continue to throw down the drain? I look for a some programs to go FCS or drop football all together. 

You don’t volunteer to go to the minor leagues, you get sent there. The G5 schools aren’t leaving the current structure until they are told they are no longer part of it. 

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

What's not to follow?  This will be the beginning of the super conferences.  Big 10 will take teams to get to 16.  Apparently Kansas is already in talks with them.  Notre Dame is maybe the biggest name/brand available for them to take to help reach "super conference" status.

So if the Big 10 is going to 16 teams Notre Dame will be one of the 2 additional schools if ND wants to.  The Big 10 is going get an answer from ND before accepting any other schools.  Once they get that answer then they will consider West Virgina but WV will probably need to make guarantees to upgrade their academic reputation in the coming years with penalties if they don’t reach certain goals in by specific dates (especially if ND joins).  I actually think this is bad for FBS as a whole.  The tougher these power conferences get fewer 1 loss and undefeated teams you will see past the midpoint of the season.  Your average FBS isn’t all that passionate about games outside their region featuring 2 loss teams. TV ratings will dip for those games and the contracts will reflect that.  

7 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

So we don’t get a chance in the play off picture at this time? Do we really give a $hyt? Win conference titles and bowl games and I am  a happy camper. Play offs will continue to be expanded when they see how much $$$ are being made. Talking billions! GMG

XFL...AAF...all those failed leagues. No one cares if you aren't in the premiere league. The money will dry up and go to the big dogs

If we end up in 2nd tier football (P5 Mega conferences, Other Div 1s, FCS) no one really cares about you anymore (unless you are the QB from North Dakota).

I expect, if it goes that way, most Div-1 non-FCS will end up moving down. A few will cancel football entirely. The rest will have to follow the majority in those by necessity. Are you really going to tune in for Eastern Carolina vs UNLV bowl game championship? maybe if it's a Tuesday afternoon and I've had a lot to drink. 

• Eye Roll 1

6 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

My guess is the Pac 12 wouldn't take any of these 4.

Yes, I think BYU, Boise State, San Diego State, and maybe even New Mexico or Hawaii would all have to say no to the terms they offer join the PAC 12 before they consider Big 12 leftovers.  How many non-TCU alumni and Fort Worth area residents are staying up to watch a 9:00 pm kickoff between USC and TCU.  Most the eyeballs on that game in the CST time zone will be there for USC  interest not interest or familiarity with TCU.  I don’t think the PAC 12 will offer any of the schools mentioned the same deal they gave Utah and Colorado.

I’d think SMU is a top pick AFTER BYU, Air Force, Colorado State, Boise, Houston, Cincinnati, Memphis, USF and UCF. 

I would expect Kansas has good shot at B1G but no one else in B12 is the sort of academic powerhouse and no one has a great national brand. KState ain’t who they were. WVU got snubbed before by ACC. If B1G says no to KU would ACC try to add a third blue blood and then a KState or OKST or Iowa State to balance travel?

I don’t see more than 5 B12 finding refuge and might only be just OU and UT. 

Logical play is to stay together if you can’t get into a P4 and really only B1G and ACC are options unless SEC wants to go over 16 and add a second blue blood in hoops. 

Assuming Kansas gets out and no one else then best play is get five more and best tv value out there is BYU so you want another western team and Boise and Air Force are best remaining brands but Colorado State isn’t an awful choice but after that New Mexico is best left and everyone else is either ugly geographically or on field or both.

One of Cincinnati and Temple are best choices if WVU can’t escape for travel, then you start looking at mixes of Houston, UCF, USF, and Memphis.

Dangerous time for MWC. After NMSU there’s no body in the west currently in FBS  looking that way. 

A MWC that loses one or more headliners is looking at something around Sun Belt level TV money. 

AAC will have enough left to backfill with where depending on the losses.

My expectation is come next playoff deal the P4 get auto bids and next best champ gets one unless they are worried about antitrust issues especially after knifing B12 then it will be top six champions. 

World looks like this:

Power 4 ACC B1G P12 SEC

Middle 3 AAC B12 MWC with MWC teetering if raided  

Others participating MAC and one or both of CUSA and Sun Belt. The bad outcome is for both CUSA and Sun Belt to around because it means they backfilled with FCS schools  

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Would Nebraska considerer leaving the B10 and perhaps coming to a revamped B12? Before you say no, athletics at Nebraska have suffered probably more than anyone with realignments.  Do they want to continue being the bottom feeders of the B10?

No 

7 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Would Nebraska considerer leaving the B10 and perhaps coming to a revamped B12? Before you say no, athletics at Nebraska have suffered probably more than anyone with realignments.  Do they want to continue being the bottom feeders of the B10?

How many people volunteer to take a big pay cut?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meanrob said:

Exactly. Right now there are 65 P5 teams. No way it grows to 66 much less 80. 

The number is going to drop. 

The power leagues are made up of dogs and ticks. The dogs make the money and the ticks feed off the work of the dogs.

You take Nebraska, OU UT and TAMU off the schedules and KU off in hoops and who outside the respective fan bases cares? I’d just as soon watch Fresno and San Diego State as Baylor and Kansas State. 

• Upvote 4