SMU one of the top candidates to join the Big 12 if Texas, Oklahoma jump to SEC

meangreen11

SMU

Speaking of checkered histories, SMU could face a somewhat more complicated reconciliation with its former SWC mates, as it was the chain of events that started with the Mustangs’ football scandal that ultimately led to the demise of the league. But again, with the NCAA’s amateurism model all but gone, history might be less of a consideration.

read more:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2021/07/22/big-12-add-schools-texas-oklahoma-sec-houston-ucf/8060264002/

• Downvote 2

Not sure why SMU would do that.  Most of the B12 members will jump to other conferences as well, I'm guessing.

Theoretically:

WVA to ACC

KS (and maybe IState) to B1G

Tech/TCU/OK Lite/Baylor to PAC12

That leaves K State (and maybe IState) in the cornfield.  They don't have the academics for B1G.  Can't see the PAC taking them over the 4 above.

But who knows!

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

In my opinion the Big 12 would need to add at least 4 programs, or maybe even 8 if the new look is 16 programs. However, no one brings added value, so they might look at new markets. I would think Cincy and Houston would be no brainers, but thinking outside the box Central Florida, South Florida, Louisville  and Memphis bring new markets with them. With TCU in the Metroplex I just don't see what SMU brings to the table. BYU would be a good get for football only. However they have their own network contract which they see as a conduit for spreading the gospel, which, along with their views on gays might be a deal breaker. Even if SMU moves to BIG 12, the AAC we could join will just be a watered down version of its former self just like CUSA turned out to be. However, the Big 12 may just get picked over by the PAC 12 [Tech, Baylor, TCU, Houston] or Big 10 [Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State]. West Virginia may be SOL, as they were passed over when ACC gobbled up the Big East Conference because of academics. Our best move is one that I personally am against because of time differences, but move to the MWC along with UTEP and UTSA. However, all 3 of these programs with rare exceptions have lousy football teams, with poor to middling attendance, so I don't know if the opportunity to move West is realistic.

• Upvote 3

On 7/23/2021 at 8:39 AM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

My guess is the Pac 12 wouldn't take any of these 4.

I would wholeheartedly agree.  
Why would they? Not a TV market among them.  That group of Big 12 leftovers will need to get ready to eat a lot of humble pie.  
The new Big 12 might need to also get ready to be recipients of portal cherry picking from the Super Conferences.  
We will all need a score card to keep up with today’s NCAA.  

Question:  Why are GMG posters automatically adding P5 bottom dwellers to all these new proposed Super Conferences?
What if that group is passed over completely?  They going to get upset because they get no TV revenue anymore?  Well, join the club, gang. That once happened to all G5’s. 

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

IMO and I've read some who agree...PAC12 has lost alot of its luster. Why break up the B12 with moves to the PAC when not elevating your program. 

Texas fits in more with the Progressive PAC than the more Conservative SEC...lol

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, drex said:

It is amusing to me that Long Jim mentioned academics...academics will have little to do with the reconfiguration of semi-professional football.

Haha, yeah, I believe that's going out the window for sure.  Who knows, man.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MDH said:

We have to bite our lip and root for SMU to bump up if we have any hopes of movement ourselves.

Everything about our profile in the last 10 years is improved, basketball won a tourney game and our facilities are top notch.  The only thing that’s sub par is football and that’s what is driving the realignment.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

If, and that is a big if, the Big XII stays together I could see the following:

1.  The Big 12 decides to add for teams to get back to twelve after the loss of OU and UT.  The additions being Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston and Central Fl.

2.  If the above scenario takes place that could open up an opportunity, removing politics from the equation, for us to move to the AAC along with LA Tech, Marshall and UAB.

2.  They, the Big XII, could choose to go the 16 team route and that is where our opportunity lies.

Of course you and speculate in one hand and crap in the other.  We know which one fills up first.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

SMU in a new B12? 🤢  Why? Tradition with cobb webs all over it? 
I guess our problem is we didn’t win an NCAA FB NC closer to the era of Indian depredations in Texas than the present day.
Honestly, I will never understand the group think mode of present day NCAA officials & P5 conference moguls. 

🦅

SMU offers a name and little else.   Even with a great schedule relative to NT, they draw few fans and or often outnumbered at their home games by the visitor fans. 

In almost all aspects except for name and money, NT and a lot other G5's are better candidate to move up.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t see the big 12 leftovers accepting being in a conference with G5 move ups. No way TTech wants to be in a conference with Cincy and Memphis. If they can they will go to the Pac 12. The reason Pac 12 would do it is sheer numbers. Grab them before someone else does. 

I think the big 12 is dead 

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Interesting perspective here.  I agree with the bolded part.  I think that's going to happen next.  And very quickly:

"That was the beauty of the SEC's move here (and why it is so obvious that nobody outside of College Station will actually oppose): this is a checkmate move against all the other conferences. It will force the migration to 16-team super-conferences, yet there is literally no counter-move left for the other conferences to try and make up the ground they just lost.

There are exactly 3 game-changing brands that are not currently in one of the other 4 major conferences: Texas, OU and ND. Two of those are now off the table before any of the other conferences even knew the game had started.  Checkmate."

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Rudy said:

This may force Notre Dame's hand and get them out of Indy status.  They'd try to go to the Big 10.

I think I read somewhere that because they're in the ACC in other sports, they would be required to join the ACC in football? (Although it sure seems that the Big10 would be a more logical fit)

1 minute ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Agreed.  And I wouldn't put it past the SEC to try and grab Notre Dame either.  Greedy bastards!

I wouldn't put it past them either, but it logistically makes no sense for ND to go to the SEC.  They would thrive in the Big 10, and with this new format, be in the playoffs every year.  

I also would be shocked for WVA to sniff the AAC.  They would try to go to the Big 10 as well.

Also, did anyone else notice the timing of this tu and ou to the SEC and the recent push to a larger playoff format.  There is a reason they all agreed.  They knew this superconference bullshit was close that we all thought.

1 minute ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I think I read somewhere that because they're in the ACC in other sports, they would be required to join the ACC in football? (Although it sure seems that the Big10 would be a more logical fit)

They would argue that the contract was drawn up before all this superconference bullshit started.  They'd find a way to get out of that.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I'm not sure I follow.  Why would this directly impact Notre Dame?  It hurts other conferences.

What's not to follow?  This will be the beginning of the super conferences.  Big 10 will take teams to get to 16.  Apparently Kansas is already in talks with them.  Notre Dame is maybe the biggest name/brand available for them to take to help reach "super conference" status.