Olympics

outoftown

The Olympics i Tokyo are about to start. NT alums Munoz and Ortiz appear to be playing the mens golf tournament which will start next thursday (i guess that is Wednesday night in the US). Anyone know about whether other NT alumni (or current students) who get to go in any of the other sports?

Edited by outoftown

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

The Olympics i Tokyo are about to start. NT alums Munoz and Ortiz appear to be playing the mens golf tournament which will start next thursday 8i guess that is Wednesday night in the US). Anyone know about whether other NT alumni (or current students) who get to go in any of the other sports?

I believe they are the only two.

Anybody catch Sweden whipping our women in soccer?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I believe they are the only two.

Anybody catch Sweden whipping our women in soccer?

Wasn’t Megan Rapinoe supposed to lead our women’s team to victory?  Or, did she just lay down during the game in protest of her rotten country she claims to live in?

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Only Biles knows exactly what is going on inside her own head, but if she knows her mind isn’t right, I do not blame her for not wanting to risk injury trying some of those jumps. As is inevitable in society, some will take a more cynical view. But gymnastics isn’t like running a mile where the worst thing that can happen is a bad time. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Only Biles knows exactly what is going on inside her own head, but if she knows her mind isn’t right, I do not blame her for not wanting to risk injury trying some of those jumps. As is inevitable in society, some will take a more cynical view. But gymnastics isn’t like running a mile where the worst thing that can happen is a bad time. 

If this happened at a previous Olympics, or if it were a guy (maybe not now), what she did would be called a "choke".  The Olympics is a pretty rough place to do that, especially with her history.   I don't think this is illegitimate to say or think.    Whatever her reason, she did not perform up to her (and really, everyone's standard for her).   That said, people tearing her down... that's uncalled for.

And I agree with her and many athletes who feel they shoulder too much weight/expectations.   These expectations are heaped upon them by media, and nowdays social media dumps even more weight on.   She's been able to carry that weight for a very long time!   It sucks that it happened to finally break her RIGHT NOW.   But you could see her on that vault before she left... completely unaware of where she was in the air.   That's dangerous when doing what she's doing.   

I don't blame her at all for shielding herself from injury and her teammates from what was going to be poor scores.   Her replacement came in and nailed it.  They got the silver medal.  I'm still proud of them, and I still think Biles is the greatest gymnast ever.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Sure.. I guess my issue isn't so much with her..  but more the reaction so many people are having.   Playing through adversity is a good thing generally and should be applauded, but I've already seen half a dozen reposts on Facebook now of a dumb article a guy wrote stating that Kerri Strug was some sort of victim for trying to make a final vault with an ankle injury (in which she secured a team gold).    

I think it's fine for BIles to make the decision she did if she felt she needed to.  However, it's also fair to say it let her team down.  Those aren't mutually exclusive ideas.  We don't have to pretend that dropping out actually made her more of a champion somehow. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If this happened at a previous Olympics, or if it were a guy (maybe not now), what she did would be called a "choke".  The Olympics is a pretty rough place to do that, especially with her history.   I don't think this is illegitimate to say or think.    Whatever her reason, she did not perform up to her (and really, everyone's standard for her).   That said, people tearing her down... that's uncalled for.

And I agree with her and many athletes who feel they shoulder too much weight/expectations.   These expectations are heaped upon them by media, and nowdays social media dumps even more weight on.   She's been able to carry that weight for a very long time!   It sucks that it happened to finally break her RIGHT NOW.   But you could see her on that vault before she left... completely unaware of where she was in the air.   That's dangerous when doing what she's doing.   

I don't blame her at all for shielding herself from injury and her teammates from what was going to be poor scores.   Her replacement came in and nailed it.  They got the silver medal.  I'm still proud of them, and I still think Biles is the greatest gymnast ever.

Unless it comes to endorsements and having people wait on them. More and more "athletes" want the platforms when it benefits them, but get ticked if they are questioned. Maybe this is not the case here, but as often as it happens it raises the question.

I hope she is OK. The timing is what I question.