1 hour ago, MCMLXXX said:

Lawmakers from remaining Big 12 Schools in Texas are now trying to exert influence.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/22/texas-football-big-12-sec-legislature/

Abbot himself is a UT. His only connection to the other schools is his 1L year at Tech before transferring to Vanderbilt.

Cry me a river.  The private schools don’t have a damn thing to say.  Tech will find a home somewhere but it won’t be near as good as where they are now.  Let’s be honest all the leftover big 12 schools benefited greatly from UT and now they won’t. 

• Upvote 5

Looks like it is a done deal now wow!

Source: Texas and Oklahoma - the founding members of the Big 12 - are leaving the league

Texas and Oklahoma, the founding members of the Big 12, are leaving the league - and barring any unforeseen developments, will join the Southeastern Conference, a high-level source close to the situation told Horns247.

Texas and OU officials plan to inform the Big 12 on Monday that they won’t renew when the league’s grant of rights expire in 2025, a step that clears the path for the SEC to formally consider adding Texas and OU.

Again, barring unforeseen circumstances, an SEC vote on adding Texas and Oklahoma "could move quickly," the source told Horns247.

Link:  https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-Oklahoma-Sooners-leave-Big-12-join-SEC-conference-realignment-Texas-OU-football-Texas-AM-168151146/?Notification.Success=Your LongFormArticle has been successfully created

• Upvote 2

On 7/22/2021 at 9:25 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I didn't say football is the only thing.   But it absolutely is the BIGGEST thing.   We're not a basketball blueblood by any stretch.

2017 & 2018 we won 9 games.    The past 2 years, only only 4 wins.   I'm not saying this disqualifies us, but it's certainly not helping.
Honest question: Do you think NT would be in a better position to move up (in the eyes of the decision makers in those other conferences) if we not only had the standing 2X C-USA B-ball champ, but a football team that had 4 years of 9-win football?     Or our current iteration?  It's a no-brainer.

Again, I know our Olympic sports are doing well, but those don't help when talking about conference alignment.   I know we have a new Indoor facility, and Apogee is great with the ability to expand.   But all these great things are tertiary to conference alignment.    

And honestly, I would be much more concerned that the remaining Big12 teams (which would only be 8 after losing UT/OU) will spread out to other existing conferences (Something like: Tech/OSU to PAC12, WVA to ACC, Kansas to B1G, and the remainder split between AAC/MWC) and NT is left holding the bag with Judy & C-USA.

That’s what I’m afraid of the most. Everyone seems to be making moves and we’ll be stuck on the outside looking in for yet another 20 years or whatever 

• Upvote 1

I have thought 20-24 makes a lot of sense for SEC and B1G. Cull the Wake Forest and Texas Tech’s to maximize money. Have top two rated teams play in league title game. 

Let conference in consultation with TV set up 4-6 games for each member and then let the schools work out the rest of the schedule within conference. 
Play a 9 or 10 game league schedule and value goes even higher. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1