By the way, I also put the chances of this actually happening at about 10%.  

It would take 3/4 of the SEC to say yes to Texas and Oklahoma coming in, and you can already count Texas A&M and Missouri has “no” votes against Texas.  

Also, don’t discount thelegal manoeuvring that schools like tech and Baylor would engage in to avoid seeing the only reasons they are relevant leave the conference.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Us moving to a new conference will have absolutely zero to do with whether we are currently "hot" in football.  So many other things will weigh more heavily than whether we won 9 games or 4 games the last several seasons. 

Absolutely. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Us moving to a new conference will have absolutely zero to do with whether we are currently "hot" in football.  So many other things will weigh more heavily than whether we won 9 games or 4 games the last several seasons. 

Utsa... I repeat.... Utsa is ahead of us for any organizational shake up. No one is looking at UNT and saying we deserve a shot at something bigger. Sure, a 1 year track record of wins won't change that. We should be at 4 now. SL 110% dropped the ball and its up to your next coach to clean it up.

Wish I got paid 2 mil to do half a job...

• Upvote 7
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 8

9 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Utsa... I repeat.... Utsa is ahead of us for any organizational shake up. No one is looking at UNT and saying we deserve a shot at something bigger. Sure, a 1 year track record of wins won't change that. We should be at 4 now. SL 110% dropped the ball and its up to your next coach to clean it up.

Wish I got paid 2 mil to do half a job...

UTSA is not even in the same line as UNT when it comes to conference realignment.  They have very little in facilities and a small athletic budget.  

As Emmitt said, two years of football records does not make a conference switch happen...if it did, Boise State would have named their conference choice by now.

• Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

Yes one would think they would get replaced by SMU and Houston and that could open up an opportunity for us and Rice to join the AAC.

Houston and Cincy. West Virginia wants a travel partner plus these were the two finalist when the Big !2  looked at adding 2 teams a few years ago. SMU brings nothing to the table other than being located in Dallas, which I doubt would big that big of a deal based upon lack of attendance and community support. No one really wants private schools unless they are Southern Cal.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

People on this BOARD needs watch everything with a political perspective I don’t believe OU will not be able to go anywhere with little brother OSU and Texas politicians will pressed by TECH to be included. So a the beginnings of 4 or 5 16 team conferences is beginning to take shape. This is what the P-5s have wanted for at least two decades.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Utsa... I repeat.... Utsa is ahead of us for any organizational shake up.

Yes, North Texas needs to improve football, but...

North Texas is has won one of it's five bowl games since joining CUSA, UTSA has lost it's only two. And although the series is tied at four wins each, North Texas has won three of the last four.

North Texas is competitive for CUSA championships in every other sport, while amazingly, I don't think UTSA has won a single championship, or even a western division championship in any sport in eight years since joining the conference.

North Texas has amazing facilities for a G5 school, UTSA has nothing; just an old basketball gym and a covered playground for football. UTSA plays it's football rent free in an aging city owned Alamodome dozens of miles from campus and there's no telling how much longer San Antonio will even pay for maintaining that decrepit money pit.

Basically, UTSA is not superior to North Texas in any sport, and is not even comparable in anything other than football.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Here is what the new Big 12 will look like;

NORTH
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
West Virginia
Cincinnati

SOUTH
Houston
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Memphis
UCF

BYU and SMU would make 14.

I wonder is the Big 12 dissolves within a few years. All those big TV deals are bound to expire and a conference with these names is definitely last in the P5 pecking order. I wouldn’t be surprised if schools like Tech/TCU/OSU bail for the PAC-12 and KU/Iowa State aim for the Big 10. WVU goes to the ACC where it already belongs. 

Edited by Mab2015
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mab2015 said:

I wonder is the Big 12 dissolves within a few years. All those big TV deals are bound to expire and a conference with these names is definitely last in the pecking order. I wouldn’t be surprised if schools like Tech/TCU/OSU bail for the PAC-12 and KU/Iowa State aim for the Big 10. WVU goes to the ACC where it already belongs. 

I see Tom's two Big Twelve divisions as a possibility, but probably adding Colorado State and South Florida if they go to 14. I don't see a 5th Texas school being a viable option, and BYU seems to love the Notre Dame-like status and freedom independence gives them.

I could also see the Big Ten adding Kansas and Virginia to get to 16 if UVA can get out of their binding ACC contract.

• Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This is the beginning of the real "split" that has been accelerated by NIL. 

I think so. Top recruits will now, for their own financial reasons, want to play only at schools that will elevate their personal exposure.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

37 minutes ago, ADLER said:

I think so. Top recruits will now, for their own financial reasons, want to play only at schools that will elevate their personal exposure.

Only one way to get exposure. You have to be a starter and a star. 22 out of 88, transfer portal could really go nuts!

I could see Texas Tech and OSU showing interest in the Big Ten or PAC 12, and I think they would bring some value to either of those conferences. If the Big XII survives, I think it would look drastically different than it does now. Between NIL, TX-OU, and Emmert’s comments about the NCAA taking a smaller role, is this the beginning of something bigger than “conference realignment?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I could see Texas Tech and OSU showing interest in the Big Ten or PAC 12, and I think they would bring some value to either of those conferences. If the Big XII survives, I think it would look drastically different than it does now. Between NIL, TX-OU, and Emmert’s comments about the NCAA taking a smaller role, is this the beginning of something bigger than “conference realignment?

Neither conference would take Tech or OSU.  One of those conferences (I forget which) specifically told UT they wouldn't take them if Tech was part of the deal.

The OSU has to travel with OU myth is not true. OU is able to do whatever they feel best suits their school. Paul Finnebaum just said it's mostly likely going to happen, and we'll end up w/ 4 power conferences instead of 5. All 4 conferences will have 16 teams. There will be some decently named schools that end up in the lower tier conferences (IA state, Tech, etc).

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, edcollopy said:

The OSU has to travel with OU myth is not true. OU is able to do whatever they feel best suits their school. Paul Finnebaum just said it's mostly likely going to happen, and we'll end up w/ 4 power conferences instead of 5. All 4 conferences will have 16 teams. There will be some decently named schools that end up in the lower tier conferences (IA state, Tech, etc).

It seems this is happening really fast....the upper level (have had success lately, been ranked) G5 schools are going to have stop thinking there will be a place at this new table and they need to start thinking about geography. All the non P5 schools in Texas are actually in a good spot compared to others. The challenge is with the lower tier P5 schools. They will have to be forced out of this new world. This will be fascinating to watch.

• Upvote 5