14 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Us moving to a new conference will have absolutely zero to do with whether we are currently "hot" in football.  So many other things will weigh more heavily than whether we won 9 games or 4 games the last several seasons. 

I didn't say football is the only thing.   But it absolutely is the BIGGEST thing.   We're not a basketball blueblood by any stretch.

2017 & 2018 we won 9 games.    The past 2 years, only only 4 wins.   I'm not saying this disqualifies us, but it's certainly not helping.
Honest question: Do you think NT would be in a better position to move up (in the eyes of the decision makers in those other conferences) if we not only had the standing 2X C-USA B-ball champ, but a football team that had 4 years of 9-win football?     Or our current iteration?  It's a no-brainer.

Again, I know our Olympic sports are doing well, but those don't help when talking about conference alignment.   I know we have a new Indoor facility, and Apogee is great with the ability to expand.   But all these great things are tertiary to conference alignment.    

And honestly, I would be much more concerned that the remaining Big12 teams (which would only be 8 after losing UT/OU) will spread out to other existing conferences (Something like: Tech/OSU to PAC12, WVA to ACC, Kansas to B1G, and the remainder split between AAC/MWC) and NT is left holding the bag with Judy & C-USA.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

If this UT, Oklahoma move to the SEC takes place, someone mentioned Memphis, Cincy, UCF, Houston, etc., taking their spots in the Big 12.  Houston I could see.  But what is so special about Memphis, Cincy, or UCF?  TV eyes?  I just don't see where those three schools are so special when it comes to football.

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I didn't say football is the only thing.   But it absolutely is the BIGGEST thing.   We're not a basketball blueblood by any stretch.

2017 & 2018 we won 9 games.    The past 2 years, only only 4 wins.   I'm not saying this disqualifies us, but it's certainly not helping.
Honest question: Do you think NT would be in a better position to move up (in the eyes of the decision makers in those other conferences) if we not only had the standing 2X C-USA B-ball champ, but a football team that had 4 years of 9-win football?     Or our current iteration?  It's a no-brainer.

Again, I know our Olympic sports are doing well, but those don't help when talking about conference alignment.   I know we have a new Indoor facility, and Apogee is great with the ability to expand.   But all these great things are tertiary to conference alignment.    

And honestly, I would be much more concerned that the remaining Big12 teams (which would only be 8 after losing UT/OU) will spread out to other existing conferences (Something like: Tech/OSU to PAC12, WVA to ACC, Kansas to B1G, and the remainder split between AAC/MWC) and NT is left holding the bag with Judy & C-USA.

I see what Emmitt is saying. The problem is we haven’t sniffed “hot” in football. How many winning seasons have we had in the past 25 years? I agree that performance on the football field is just one part of it and support, facilities, money, commitment are all as important. But to your point MGT, it would be a heckuva lot easier if we had recent success on the field. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

If this UT, Oklahoma move to the SEC takes place, someone mentioned Memphis, Cincy, UCF, Houston, etc., taking their spots in the Big 12.  Houston I could see.  But what is so special about Memphis, Cincy, or UCF?  TV eyes?  I just don't see where those three schools are so special when it comes to football.

This is what makes them great from a football standpoint

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

38 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

You aren't wrong, no one out there is equal to the Texas and Oklahoma. The big 12 is going to take a big financial hit to its tv deal, but it'll still be a step up from AAC for those that make it.

Edited by Blue Horse
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Blue Horse said:

You aren't wrong, no one out there is equal to the Texas and Oklahoma. The big 12 is going to take a big financial hit to its tv deal, but it'll still be a step up from AAC for those that make it.

until the B1G and Pac12 raid the leftovers.  Tech and Oklahoma State bail to the Pac12, KU to B1G and WVU to ACC all would be my guess.  I think there's a salvageable league there that would be an improvement from the AAC for an SMU/Houston/Memphis with Baylor, TCU, Iowa State, K-State...could definitely see something like that happening, and I'd love it. 

Edit: if I had to add more teams to round out that hypothetical conference, I'd say Cincinnati and Boise St. would be candidates (though last I checked their TV situation is still favorable), and UCF 

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

until the B1G and Pac12 raid the leftovers.  Tech and Oklahoma State bail to the Pac12, KU to B1G and WVU to ACC all would be my guess.  I think there's a salvageable league there that would be an improvement from the AAC for an SMU/Houston/Memphis with Baylor, TCU, Iowa State, K-State...could definitely see something like that happening, and I'd love it. 

Okay, so I disagree here and I'll explain why.

The liberal pac-12 isn't taking a school in stillwater and another in Lubbock. They just don't fit what they're about. 

If the acc wanted wvu, they'd already be there.

as for Kansas, I could actually see them going to the big 10. If they can get Colorado too.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, Blue Horse said:

Okay, so I disagree here and I'll explain why.

The liberal pac-12 isn't taking a school in stillwater and another in Lubbock. They just don't fit what they're about. 

If the acc wanted wvu, they'd already be there.

as for Kansas, I could actually see them going to the big 10. If they can get Colorado too.

I get that line of thinking, but I think this is all going to set off a race to 16 teams and as a conference you have to take the best available.  Lubbock and Stillwater aren't quite fits, but their gradual move east of the Rockies is imminent now if they want to survive.  It also brings their TV schedules into the CST which is helpful for revenue. 

I've heard the same about the WVU/ACC relationship, but again, when it's a race to 16 teams you take the best available.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, tmjerm said:

I get that line of thinking, but I think this is all going to set off a race to 16 teams and as a conference you have to take the best available.  Lubbock and Stillwater aren't quite fits, but their gradual move east of the Rockies is imminent now if they want to survive.  It also brings their TV schedules into the CST which is helpful for revenue. 

I've heard the same about the WVU/ACC relationship, but again, when it's a race to 16 teams you take the best available.  

The only thing the pac12 is racing to is it's grave (I jest).

If it is a race, we might see some odd stuff. But I'm just not seeing that right now. And besides, who is the pac racing to get? All of the schools should be available in the big 12 in ten years if they feel like waiting.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Blue Horse said:

The only thing the pac12 is racing to is it's grave (I jest).

If it is a race, we might see some odd stuff. But I'm just not seeing that right now. And besides, who is the pac racing to get? All of the schools should be available in the big 12 in ten years if they feel like waiting.

Yes this is all speculative...the key question on all of that is how would Pac12, B1G and ACC respond if this goes down...race or no race?  To me a race seems more likely, but I could see the B1G especially sitting back and letting things unfold.  Who knows, fun to think about. 

• Lovely Take 2

2 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Yes this is all speculative...the key question on all of that is how would Pac12, B1G and ACC respond if this goes down...race or no race?  To me a race seems more likely, but I could see the B1G especially sitting back and letting things unfold.  Who knows, fun to think about. 

It really is! This is a conference realignment nuclear bomb. 

I will say though in your favor, every conference was potentially holding out to get Texas and Oklahoma. Now that they've been taken, there's not that need to hold off expanding for the dream girl. Now, it could be time to settle.

• Thanks 2

I’ve posted about this since 2012, when A&M and Mizzou left. The Big XII would die by 2025 because there aren’t enough eyeballs and the teams don’t mesh well together. 

I still think this noise from Texas and OU is a smokescreen, though. I think they both know that getting into the SEC would be really tough—you have to have 11 yes votes and I know A&M and Mizzou are no’s. Does Arkansas and LSU want more completion in their backyard? Do Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, and Kentucky want to run the risk of losing their state to another in-state rival, something the SEC has adamantly opposed for a long time now?

I still think this is to get the B1G or PAC on board with taking them and maybe a few others. If it’s the B1G Ten, it’s probably just Texas and OU. If it’s the PAC, it’s probably the Texoma Four. KU will end up somewhere in a power league, just for basketball, academics (AAU membership), and the KC TV market. Maybe WVU has a way into the ACC? I doubt it, though. 

The big question is does the leftovers from the Big 12 get AAC/MWC/BYU to join them in a non-power Big 12 or do the leftovers join the other non-power leagues? The MWC has been patiently waiting on this day and must be drilling at the idea of getting any of the Texas schools, as well as OSU and KSU. The AAC would love any of them as well, as well as ISU and WVU.

What does It mean for us? Best to hope SMU moves up and gives us an AAC spot, which is very possible. If SMU and UH were to join the other Big 12 teams in the Big 12, maybe along with Memphis and Cincy and the two Florida schools, the AAC will have to get filled back up. Temple, Tulsa, Navy, ECU, and Tulane would be back to square one again. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

23 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

This would be almost as big as when the SWC imploded—if it happens.  Houston Chronicle wouldn’t have run with the story if it was just rumor mill stuff.  

UNT & Re-Alignment?  We need a bigger stadium & larger budget to even think about a  future above where we are now. (Then we need some serious politickin’).  ••• Our upside still remains very bright in spite of things we do to ourselves. (We’ve all been here before, folks).

UH will be considered first & then (take a big breath)—-Boise State or Memphis.  
🤜🏼 Still, losing UT & OU will make the rest of the Big 12 look like orphans.  Maybe they could re-name their league “the Mighty Big 12.”🙄

••• The real loser with this if it happens are the remaining Texas-based Big 12 schools.  TCU Frogs are pee’ing all over themselves with this news from the Houston Chronicle.  

For UNT?  Bloom where planted?

••• Someone mentioned LaTech?  Please....Ruston is no growing population center & has a very, very  small TV market. When they start a 4 or 5 season losing streak then what do they bring to the party?  They bring a small market.  That’s what they bring. 

The best long term for us is the AAC, but SMU will go back into bitter mode after they get turned down by the Big 12 & do their “whose your daddy” routine with our favorite school.  (Kind of getting old, isn’t it)?

❇️🦅❇️

Nailed it on the head. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Nailed it on the head. 

That's great. It starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, and aeroplanes, and Lenny Bruce is not afraid.

All kidding aside, we'll need to take care of our own business, munch some popcorn, evaluate the situations, and explore potential possibilities.

The remaining Big 12 is about to have their media contract decimated, and that's regardless of whichever schools they backfill with.

The AAC is going to have it's large, at least by G5 standards, ESPN contract terminated. The conference has relatively little value now that already UConn, and potentially Cincy, UCF, Memphis, and Houston are departing.

I am so happy we have Wren and I trust him to make the best decisions.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Interesting:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/cfb-stat-expert-proposes-4-mega-conferences-of-16-teams-expanded-college-football-playoff/amp/

this prediction was a year ago….

B22C6E4B-81F6-4782-9812-D0696492C419.jpeg

I don’t see Baylor here…but could see them replacing BYU or Boise

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

See how fast this happens?

“One alternative Swinney endorsed was eliminating regular-season contests against regional FCS or lower-tier Group of 5 foes and moving those games to the spring.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31864315/clemson-tigers-coach-dabo-swinney-wants-season-shortened-playoff-expands%3fplatform=amp

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ADLER said:

That's great. It starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, and aeroplanes, and Lenny Bruce is not afraid.

All kidding aside, we'll need to take care of our own business, munch some popcorn, evaluate the situations, and explore potential possibilities.

The remaining Big 12 is about to have their media contract decimated, and that's regardless of whichever schools they backfill with.

The AAC is going to have it's large, at least by G5 standards, ESPN contract terminated. The conference has relatively little value now that already UConn, and potentially Cincy, UCF, Memphis, and Houston are departing.

I am so happy we have Wren and I trust him to make the best decisions.

Amen to the last sentence, ADLER.
 We cannot lose him. 

❇️🦅❇️

• Upvote 4

On 7/21/2021 at 4:27 PM, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I mean, would the Big XII still qualify as "P5"?

Concise answer: Only in the mind of Big XII fans.

If TX/OU leaves the Big XII you can pretty much guarantee the creation of the P4 and the G6.  Time to go check on some potential web domains that might be worth some $$$. 😂

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2021 at 11:54 AM, untjim1995 said:

What does It mean for us? Best to hope SMU moves up and gives us an AAC spot, which is very possible. If SMU and UH were to join the other Big 12 teams in the Big 12, maybe along with Memphis and Cincy and the two Florida schools, the AAC will have to get filled back up. Temple, Tulsa, Navy, ECU, and Tulane would be back to square one again. , 

COME ON NOW! TIME TO GO OUTSIDE OUR USUAL ‘GO NOWHERE’ BOX*****SWIM WITH THE SHARKS & GO MAJOR INDEPENDENT, NORTH TEXAS!   SHOW EM' WE HAVE MAJOR  FISH BALLS! 

Show the P5 greed'meisters we can play this kind of future NCAA game, too. (What the hell would we have to lose? TV money?  Not).
As a Major Indy' UNT would probably become an "OOC" scheduling darling with the rest of the P5 crowd.   
Scheduling would  absolutely be  no problem. (Try telling me Michigan & similar would not want to come to DFW--the hottest recruting grounds in these here United States of America?  UNT would get schools into Apogee we've all wanted in Denton for just about....FOREVER?  
Don't faint OldDenton & "we are not worthy" Small Timers,  but we'd probably have to expand Apogee & then cause real traffic jams over in Denia.  

IN THE FINAL ANALYSIS, BEING A P1 MAJOR INDEPENDENT IS THE ONLY PATH NORTH TEXAS WILL EVER HAVE TO BEING AT THE P5 LEVEL &HAVING ANY CHANCE FOR TV REVENUE.

I THINK TCU HAS MADE UPWARDS TO $20 MILLION TV REVENUE IN ONE YEAR.  

SEEKING MAJOR INDEPENDENT P5  STATUS WOULD FOR CERTAIN BE THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED IN THESE TIMES OF CONFERENCE RE-ALIGNMENT, BUT IT COULD BE THE MOST PRODUCTIVE ONE FINANCIALLY.  

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I’ve posted about this since 2012, when A&M and Mizzou left. The Big XII would die by 2025 because there aren’t enough eyeballs and the teams don’t mesh well together. 

I still think this noise from Texas and OU is a smokescreen, though. I think they both know that getting into the SEC would be really tough—you have to have 11 yes votes and I know A&M and Mizzou are no’s. Does Arkansas and LSU want more completion in their backyard? Do Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, and Kentucky want to run the risk of losing their state to another in-state rival, something the SEC has adamantly opposed for a long time now?

I still think this is to get the B1G or PAC on board with taking them and maybe a few others. If it’s the B1G Ten, it’s probably just Texas and OU. If it’s the PAC, it’s probably the Texoma Four. KU will end up somewhere in a power league, just for basketball, academics (AAU membership), and the KC TV market. Maybe WVU has a way into the ACC? I doubt it, though. 

The big question is does the leftovers from the Big 12 get AAC/MWC/BYU to join them in a non-power Big 12 or do the leftovers join the other non-power leagues? The MWC has been patiently waiting on this day and must be drilling at the idea of getting any of the Texas schools, as well as OSU and KSU. The AAC would love any of them as well, as well as ISU and WVU.

What does It mean for us? Best to hope SMU moves up and gives us an AAC spot, which is very possible. If SMU and UH were to join the other Big 12 teams in the Big 12, maybe along with Memphis and Cincy and the two Florida schools, the AAC will have to get filled back up. Temple, Tulsa, Navy, ECU, and Tulane would be back to square one again. 

Actually, in this scenario I could see Navy go independent. I think that might also be enough schools to disband the conference and eliminate exit fees.

Lawmakers from remaining Big 12 Schools in Texas are now trying to exert influence.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/22/texas-football-big-12-sec-legislature/

Abbot himself is a UT. His only connection to the other schools is his 1L year at Tech before transferring to Vanderbilt.

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1