Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Great find on key story that could impact C-USA, UNT and college football in a major way."

UNT_FH_FR_YR was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 15 points.

2 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

Writer is pretty damn legit.  Texas A&M beat writer. Would like to see a couple other big names confirm it as well.

Thank you for confirming! 

I'm interested in potential conference shakeups if this were to happen

45 minutes ago, UNT_FH_FR_YR said:

Thank you for confirming! 

I'm interested in potential conference shakeups if this were to happen

This would be almost as big as when the SWC imploded—if it happens.  Houston Chronicle wouldn’t have run with the story if it was just rumor mill stuff.  

UNT & Re-Alignment?  We need a bigger stadium & larger budget to even think about a  future above where we are now. (Then we need some serious politickin’).  ••• Our upside still remains very bright in spite of things we do to ourselves. (We’ve all been here before, folks).

UH will be considered first & then (take a big breath)—-Boise State or Memphis.  
🤜🏼 Still, losing UT & OU will make the rest of the Big 12 look like orphans.  Maybe they could re-name their league “the Mighty Big 12.”🙄

••• The real loser with this if it happens are the remaining Texas-based Big 12 schools.  TCU Frogs are pee’ing all over themselves with this news from the Houston Chronicle.  

For UNT?  Bloom where planted?

••• Someone mentioned LaTech?  Please....Ruston is no growing population center & has a very, very  small TV market. When they start a 4 or 5 season losing streak then what do they bring to the party?  They bring a small market.  That’s what they bring. 

The best long term for us is the AAC, but SMU will go back into bitter mode after they get turned down by the Big 12 & do their “whose your daddy” routine with our favorite school.  (Kind of getting old, isn’t it)?

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5

1 minute ago, meangreen11 said:

Yes one would think they would get replaced by SMU and Houston and that could open up an opportunity for us and Rice to join the AAC.

Um.    Poor timing for that.   
LATech would probably be a lot more enticing right now....   and dare I mention the school in SA?     If this happened in 2018, we'd have been in a good position.   If there's going to be conference movement, we need Seth to get football going NOW.   Coach McCasland has B-ball as an attractive piece.   The Olympic sports are very solid (although no baseball hurts).    But Football is the butter on the Athletics Toast, and right now, our butter is souring.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

Both Texas and Oklahoma bring a huge market and a loyal fan base....I could see it happening. As for their replacements in B12....that could get interesting. Maybe Houston but if Dallas is so loyal to Smut why doesn't it's fan base go to the football games? We'll see if this happens.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Rudy said:

There are no winners if this happens.

The SEC would certainly disagree.  They've generally been the best conference in college football the past 15 years or so, and if they added UT and OU, they wouldn't have a close competitor.  I'm a little surprised UT is interested in this; but if true, this will greatly alter the landscape of college sports.  I mean, would the Big XII still qualify as "P5"?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I'm curious what's in it for UT and OU?

Not money

What am I missing?

Recruiting.  Alabama QB is about to be a millionaire due to NIL.

Schools can use the "SEC" pitch for the top recruits and point to their recruits getting big $ through the NIL  aTm has this cachet right now by association.  This looks to me like an 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' situation.

• Upvote 5

If you look at the top replacement candidates right now....

I have to think Memphis and Cincy would be the top 2. Maybe UH. (edit: forgot about UCF as well)

I just don't see SMU just yet. Memphis, Cincy and UH bring basketball names as well.

And then I don't see us moving to the AAC. And it's got nothing to do with SMU...our football is one of the worst in the nation. UAB, La Tech, App St would probably be more attractive right now...but who knows

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Blue Horse is correct.

The Big 12 would be down to 8 teams, and I could see them adding Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, Central Florida, and Colorado State to save the conference. Others like Boise State and South Florida will also receive consideration. West Virginia's pleas for more regional opponents will certainly play into the selection process.

The AAC will lose the lucrative ESPN contract with the loss of all it's ratings generating schools, and will consist of leftover tiny privates and East Carolina.

As for us, no win and no loss. Any possible move would be lateral.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Would anyone leave their current P5 conference to go to a big 12 with no OU and UT? I don’t see why anyone would. 

So this really could kill the big 12. Now Tech and OSU are looking for somewhere else but they don’t have any value without Being connected to UT and OU. Same goes for Baylor and TCU. So the Kansas schools reach into to the Big10? They don’t offer anything besides KU basketball (which is nothing to sneeze at)

oh boy this is gonna and interesting to watch. 

• Upvote 3