NIL out of hand already

17 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

coach says there is a 7pm curfew the night before a game….BUT those that are paying some kid $1M might want to have a meet and greet at the club that night at 10pm and expect the kid to show up. Who wins that battle?

If the kid is suspended and can't play...that might hurt the company paying him?

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

28 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

The coach.  

“Hey kid, let your endorsement partner know you’ll be sitting second string due to your conduct.  I’m sure they’ll be happy to honor your contract knowing you won’t be getting any tv time”

The Kid

hey coach, we win this game, we win the conference and go the the championship game. Your #2 hasn’t seen the field in 3 years and you are up for a new contract. Win this and you get millions. See you after the meet and greet. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

The Kid

hey coach, we win this game, we win the conference and go the the championship game. Your #2 hasn’t seen the field in 3 years and you are up for a new contract. Win this and you get millions. See you after the meet and greet. 

Sure, because every kid benefitting from the new rules is the single player standing between their team and a conference title.  And every coach up for a multi-million dollar contract is doing so with a team with no depth. 

Debbie Downer Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

49 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

SMU lost football because of this. 

No they didn’t.   I don’t think you know how this works?

SMU, the University, was actually paying the players.   That is still very much illegal.  
Now, outside entities can pay kids to use their name/image/likeness in branding.  
It basically removes the need for the old “bag men” that paid guys under the table (also still against the rules)... and just made them virtually legal by providing them an avenue (“using their name/image/likeness”) to pay the players without needing to go under the table.  Still shady, but now perfectly legal.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

SMU, the University, was actually paying the players.   That is still very much illegal.  
Now, outside entities can pay kids to use their name/image/likeness in branding.  
It basically removes the need for the old “bag men” that paid guys under the table (also still against the rules)... and just made them virtually legal by providing them an avenue (“using their name/image/likeness”) to pay the players without needing to go under the table.  Still shady, but now perfectly legal.

The schools are partnering with sponsors either openly or disclosed. They're (the school) basically reeling in the money from companies to throw at kids for advertisement space. It's basically the school paying the the player without the University of Alabama as the header on the check. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is more like boosters giving fake jobs to players like happened with Oklahoma under Switzer (I think I have my facts straight)

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

The Kid

Would love to see a "kid" do this with Saban. Have a feeling that young man would be gone in a second

• Upvote 5