DRC: UNT picked to finish sixth in C-USA West Division in preseason media poll

Brett Vito

I'm not sure how they think our defense will actually be worse than last year or our offense less effective.  I think we're going to keep games alot closer than people think by running effectively and getting 2-3 more stops a game (God forbid a few 3 and outs).  We have skill and some really solid recruiting classes the last few years that should provide more depth and athleticism.  Who knows though, maybe I'm just too optimistic.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, edcollopy said:

I'm not sure how they think our defense will actually be worse than last year or our offense less effective.  I think we're going to keep games alot closer than people think by running effectively and getting 2-3 more stops a game (God forbid a few 3 and outs).  We have skill and some really solid recruiting classes the last few years that should provide more depth and athleticism.  Who knows though, maybe I'm just too optimistic.

Jaelon Darden isn't here anymore.
And I know it pains a lot of people around here, but losing Tre Siggers hurt the offense.

Not saying they're right, and we'll be worse offensively... but I see why they think we might be.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And I know it pains a lot of people around here, but losing Tre Siggers hurt the offense.

Not saying they're right, and we'll be worse offensively... but I see why they think we might be.

Yes, but we also have great depth at both positions.

RB: Torrey, Adaway, Johnson, Jackson, Ragsdale, etc....

WR: Simpson, Shorter, Johnson, Ward, Burns, Brown, Thompson, Jackson, McMillan, etc...

You can also throw in the TE position with Roberts, Pirtle, Lee, Gumms, Alberding, etc...

Opposing D's will not have the benefit of targeting one player like Darden, even though they couldn't stop him, as I expect us to spread the ball around much more.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Yes, but we also have great depth at both positions.

RB: Torrey, Adaway, Johnson, Jackson, Ragsdale, etc....

WR: Simpson, Shorter, Johnson, Ward, Burns, Brown, Thompson, Jackson, McMillan, etc...

You can also throw in the TE position with Roberts, Pirtle, Lee, Gumms, Alberding, etc...

Opposing D's will not have the benefit of targeting one player like Darden, even though they couldn't stop him, as I expect us to spread the ball around much more.

You and I know all that.  Vito knows that.   I don't know that the other C-USA beatwriters know all that.  I'd be interested to see where Vito slotted us.

I think the offense should be fine, if not better than last year, especially if Aune can turn the corner and/or Ruder comes in and blows the doors off the QB spot.  The idea of Shorter returning and Simpson taking his next step in his development, along with Torrey lining up in the slot and Addaway in the backfield at the same time is scary.  Bloesch has proven he can get the O-Line righted, and with their experience (losing Gray hurt, but I don't think he's irreplaceable), I expect them to be even better than last year as well.   

There are a lot of reasons to be hopeful about this year's offense for sure.

...I'm just saying, I see why outsiders wouldn't think so.   You lose a Consensus All-American / C-USA MVP, and people expect a dropoff in offensive production.

• Upvote 4

I will wager any amount that we will finish better than 6th.  I think our offense will be vastly more consistent than a year ago and our defense can only get better.  We couldn't even get lined up correctly on the defensive the ball last season.  This D will be tremendously better coached and prepared.  I know I'm sipping the Kool-Aid but this team will be entertaining to watch.  

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Most of us have been around long enough to see we don't have any problem in Denton replacing RBs and WRs.  Not sure why these reporters aren't seeing the same thing.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

Most of us have been around long enough to see we don't have any problem in Denton replacing RBs and WRs.  Not sure why these reporters aren't seeing the same thing.

We had problems replacing the most prolific passer in NT history last year.

I think it will be almost as difficult to replace the most prolific WR in NT history this year.  Ideally, we shouldnt have to... just spread the ball around a little more & the numbers will line up.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I think the reporters that have any knowledge of our situation understand that we are bringing in two new coordinators, a defense that could not stop anyone a year ago, and a QB situation that is not nearly settled--all while looking at the toughest schedule that is brutal for where we are as a program currently.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

21 hours ago, StealthEagle84 said:

I will wager any amount that we will finish better than 6th.  I think our offense will be vastly more consistent than a year ago and our defense can only get better.  We couldn't even get lined up correctly on the defensive the ball last season.  This D will be tremendously better coached and prepared.  I know I'm sipping the Kool-Aid but this team will be entertaining to watch.  

Define any amount.

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 3

5 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I think the reporters that have any knowledge of our situation understand that we are bringing in two new coordinators, a defense that could not stop anyone a year ago, and a QB situation that is not nearly settled--all while looking at the toughest schedule that is brutal for where we are as a program currently.

The 64k question has to be asked...

Should we be, as you stated, where we are as a program going into this or any HCs 6th year?

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

The 64k question has to be asked...

Should we be, as you stated, where we are as a program going into this or any HCs 6th year?

Preseason polls are almost always just a rehashing of where things finished the year before.  We sucked last year.  

Now if we actually finish 6th in the division this year I’d bet Littrell, himself, would agree it’s time to move on.  I don’t see us being as bad as we were last year.  Bennett isn’t going to fix the defense overnight, but he’s actually had an off-season to prepare and teach, where last year our brand new DC didn’t…and it showed.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Preseason polls are almost always just a rehashing of where things finished the year before.  We sucked last year.  

Now if we actually finish 6th in the division this year I’d bet Littrell, himself, would agree it’s time to move on.  I don’t see us being as bad as we were last year.  Bennett isn’t going to fix the defense overnight, but he’s actually had an off-season to prepare and teach, where last year our brand new DC didn’t…and it showed.

That and Bowen's only skin on the wall was.....Kansas, and well, they're awful.

Bennett at least knows how to run a defense to compliment a high powered offense. If we can score 35 a game, I think we have a fighting chance. 

That being said, I think Littrell is done and needs to move on to his next P5 OC gig

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Agree

And that is a very objective way to look at this team....and given what we currently know about the team in relation to the rest of the conference...the prediction is right on until proven otherwise.

To predict otherwise is to predict solely based on hope.

• Upvote 2