If we don't do good this year?

greengal

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

No.
If we finish with less than 6 wins... barring catastrophic injuries to several players, Littrell has to go.

It'll be very interesting to see...the firing of DMac and buying out $2.1 million has us all hopeful that we would do that again if needed. But the question is what it would take to get to "if needed"? Is it less than 6 wins? Is it less than 5 wins? What if we go 4-8, like I predict? It'll be very interesting to see if that would trigger the buying out of SL and other coaches...

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, RBP79 said:

I think most on here feel 6 and 6 is the bottom line. For God sake people...we're talking CUSA Western Division. Possibly the worst Division in the FBS.

We’re probably 1-3 non conference. Finding five wins on paper with the rest of the schedule is tough. And that just gets you to 6-6. 

Im no coach but we better play some serious bend but don’t break defense and then average better than 200 yards running the ball. I’m not counting on us being stout defensively overnight or having a quarterback that puts up close to fifty. Our best hope is to win a lot of 35-31 games. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, meanrob said:

We’re probably 1-3 non conference. Finding five wins on paper with the rest of the schedule is tough. And that just gets you to 6-6. 

Im no coach but we better play some serious bend but don’t break defense and then average better than 200 yards running the ball. I’m not counting on us being stout defensively overnight or having a quarterback that puts up close up fifty. Our best hope is to win a lot of 35-31 games. 

This is how I feel. There just aren’t 5 wins I can see on this schedule. The three FBS schools in OOC are waaaaaayyyyy ahead of us right now. And in CUSA play, the only teams I think we are better than or can compete with are UTEP, Rice, and FIU. The others are just better. UAB, UTSA, La Tech, Marshall, and USM all look better than us right now. Obviously, things can go in a different direction, but I feel like 3-4 wins is most likely.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1

31 minutes ago, wardly said:

Guys, thank GOD for UTEP, or we would be the worst team in the worst division in the worst conference in the GROUP of Five. Oh how our expectations have fallen if 4 or 5 wins allows Seth another year.

Well, in truth, 4 or 5 wins is secondary to the $2.6 million it would cost to get rid of him...

• Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2

This will be Seth's most talented team since being at UNT. Keep the offense rolling and have an average defense and we will have a winning record. The biggest threat for a young team is confidence level. Important to start off strong with being very competitive. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

23 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

The biggest threat for a young team is confidence level. Important to start off strong with being very competitive. 

Remember the energy that this program had during SL's first year? I wish we could re-capture that and hang on to it.  It feels like things have become too routine around here.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

Remember the energy that this program had during SL's first year? I wish we could re-capture that and hang on to it.  It feels like things have become too routine around here.

No. Not really. If SL walked away today, in my mind, his tenure here would bring about 2 thoughts. 1. Mason Fine 2. The absolute lack of energy and enthusiasm he and his teams have. 

• Eye Roll 1

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

No. Not really. If SL walked away today, in my mind, his tenure here would bring about 2 thoughts. 1. Mason Fine 2. The absolute lack of energy and enthusiasm he and his teams have. 

I think he'd get a little more credit than just Mason Fine.  Darden was drafted, and Guyton is performing in the NFL.    I'd remember him as offensively genius, but lack of hiring the right DC (& defensive staff overall) did him in... kinda like another previous HC we had, although not quite as in-over-his-head.

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think he'd get a little more credit than just Mason Fine.  Darden was drafted, and Guyton is performing in the NFL.    I'd remember him as offensively genius, but lack of hiring the right DC (& defensive staff overall) did him in... kinda like another previous HC we had, although not quite as in-over-his-head.

Not having head coaching experience was his big negative. Hiring has been poor, game time adjustments, halftime adjustments and clock management with time outs have involved rookie mistakes. I hope this year will be different. The future of a program is recruiting which has been outstanding! Now let’s see it. GMG 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, meanrob said:

Im no coach but we better play some serious bend but don’t break defense and then average better than 200 yards running the ball. I’m not counting on us being stout defensively overnight or having a quarterback that puts up close to fifty. Our best hope is to win a lot of 35-31 games. 

Agree here....the schedule is tough and it's front loaded so we are looking at very real possibility of a coach that's on his last leg here very easily being 1-6 riding a 6 game losing streak going on the road at an improved Rice team. Psychologically it's going to be tough to keep listening to Littrell at that point. And we'll more than likely be underdogs in that game.

Where is the win after our opener?

SMU

West fav UAB

at La Tech

at Missouri

East fav Marshall

Liberty 

at Rice

Then we do have an easier end of the year but gotta get up for the games after potentially starting 1-7 with Littrell basically gone if not fired already.

We finish with a tough road game at USM, UTEP at home, a tossup at FIU and UTSA at home in front of a probable empty Apogee.

It will take the coaching job of Littrell's career to go 6-6 this season.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Here's the thing about Littrell and the 4 years with arguably the greatest QB in school history...

Littrell was 27-25 with him. Never won one game of consequence.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1