🦅❇️🦅The 2021 UNT Green Brigade! Comin’ This Fall to Fabulous Apogee Stadium !

It is easy to predict that this will be their largest number of Green Brigade members in school history!  
••• With 560 brand spankin’ new Green Brigade unis’ they’ll undoubtedly be the best dressed college marching band in Texas this Fall.  

•••The 2021 UNT Green Brigade has also been invited to ☘️Ireland☘️ next Spring to participate in a humongous Irish festival.           🗣Lucky y’all!🤢😆

D11148C7-CD82-4AA3-991E-D1E72C0568D5.jpeg.646d7852d899e127beecf62d96220ba1.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to 🦅🟢🦅 The 2021 UNT Green Brigade! Comin’ To Fabulous Apogee Stadium This Fall !

I love the Green Brigade and expect their new uniforms will look outstanding.

Can anyone confirm that this will actually be the largest band ever at North Texas?

I know some high school bands are huge (over 1000 at Allen), is there an optimum number, or is there a cap on how many may participate? Some schools like Ohio State would probably have thousands in their bands if they didn't limit how many could join, but those limitations may be a result of available stadium space.

• Upvote 1

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to 🦅❇️🦅The 2021 UNT Green Brigade! Comin’ This Fall to Fabulous Apogee Stadium !
On 7/18/2021 at 4:03 PM, ADLER said:

Can anyone confirm that this will actually be the largest band ever at North Texas?

I know some high school bands are huge (over 1000 at Allen), is there an optimum number, or is there a cap on how many may participate? Some schools like Ohio State would probably have thousands in their bands if they didn't limit how many could join, but those limitations may be a result of available stadium space.

“Easy to predict” but not necessarily?  (Impressed with your knowledge of HS bands, Adler).😊
A lady friend who is a Fort Worth attorney & who was in the OU “Pride of Oklahoma” marching band thinks a college marching band can be too large. I might agree with her.  Silver Eagle, myself & maybe another on GMG seem to like the Big 10 fast-stepping style, but those college bands seem to have maneuvering space on the field, too. 

I was at this UH Band Day at the Astrodome, circa 1966.  Our  Danbury HS Band Director Manuel Garza had a couple of us guys from our football team (at our request) come as “band chaperones” (with the excuse of letting us help with the larger instruments).🙄(Mr. “G” was a UT Longhorn Marching Band alum & a fine trumpet player in his own right). 

The Tonight Show’s Doc Severensen was the Celebrity Guest Conductor for this UH Band Day. 
UH Band Day was a fun “full” day & evening since the 13,000+ bandsmen had a 2 hour rehearsal that afternoon.  UH Coogs won the game. (Eat em’ up).

😥Sadly, both the Astrodome & UH Band Days (of this magnitude) are a thing of the past.  Give em’ credit, though, UH did dream big & that would pay off for them.
24FAA322-DE43-499C-9E35-33383C3B2155.jpeg.f6a92751473593955e7f871bd4497f54.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4

19 hours ago, ADLER said:

They put out a tweet a few days ago saying everyone in the woodwind and brass sections will have to try out again for the Green Brigade because the numbers were so high to join. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, ADLER said:

I believe that "Fessor Cook" said that the membership is over 400, which represents the largest ever NT Band. He also mentioned that over 500 uni's were purchased. 

This is in stark contrast to the North Texas marching Band that I watched in the 60's. They had 128 members, and everyone had to audition. "Letsgiveacheer" can correct me on this last statement, but I believe that all of the 128 were music majors. 

I don't consider 400+ to be a very manageable size unless you are the fighting aggie band and you do mainly military marching. 

I much prefer this......

The Ohio State University Marching Band

TBDBITL Logo.png
School The Ohio State University
Location Columbus, Ohio
Conference Big Ten
Founded 1878
Director Christopher Hoch
Members 228 (192 pregame marchers, 195 halftime marchers, 36 alternate members)

I also prefer their tempo, which was ( and once again "Letsgiveacheer can correct me on this)  pretty much the tempo of the 60's NT band. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

20 hours ago, ADLER said:

I know some high school bands are huge (over 1000 at Allen),

Just a couple minutes of Googling reveals their numbers between 600-800.

I'm very skeptical of 1000.  Maybe it's a headcount of every kid in the general band program?  I've seen what 400 on the field looks like.  Already crowded, anything beyond 600 seems impossible without just standing in huge blocks from one end to the other.

• Upvote 1

Yes, Silver is correct.  From about 1945 to 1975, the band marched 120 with 8 alternates. The tempi were normally quite fast as you see with the Big 10 or HBCU's today. There may have been some non-music majors in the band at that time but I do not recall any.

There just may be some other surprises this season as well. As I have said before, the GB is in very good hands with Dr. Cook.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

Just a couple minutes of Googling reveals their numbers between 600-800.

I'm very skeptical of 1000.  Maybe it's a headcount of every kid in the general band program?  I've seen what 400 on the field looks like.  Already crowded, anything beyond 600 seems impossible without just standing in huge blocks from one end to the other.

"A thousand in the band" was a claim tossed around on the news when Allen ISD opened their stadium a decade ago. I have no way of proving or debunking the statement.

It sounded outlandish but I had no real reason to doubt it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ADLER said:

"A thousand in the band" was a claim tossed around on the news when Allen ISD opened their stadium a decade ago. I have no way of proving or debunking the statement.

I hear ya, and apologize if it sounded like I was calling you out.

There's a marching band part of me that was red-lining.  Sometimes it gets outta control.

• Upvote 2

You'll Never Walk Alone, an inspirational song that has been played at North Texas games many years before Liverpool F.C. started playing it. Liverpudlians Jerry and the Pacemakers didn't perform it until 1963, and it became a soccer anthem a decade after it was being played at the conclusion of North Texas games.

And the song had even been a hit for North Texas alumnus Roy Orbison

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, ADLER said:

jackie GIF

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I hope we aren't chasing size with performance being the victim.

LIfer, that has been the basis for just about all of my criticism of the GB for the last 15 years .....or more.  I originally bonded with the version that was there mainly because of the power/authority of Mr. McAdow. From what "letsgiveacheer" has said and/or hinted at, if the most talented musicians coming into the College of music wanted a chance to ascend to the elite ensembles that they sought, they had to spend at least one semester marching in the band. And Mr. McAdow was the gate keeper on that system.  When you get your band from a pool of talent like that,  120 (and 8 alternates)  is more than enough.  Looking back, and knowing how bureaucracies operate,  I am in awe that Mr. McAdow acquired that kind of power. 

Having said all that, I have met and talked with "Fessor Cook" and I have confidence that he's going to give us and/or develop one of the finest football bands in the Southwest. Because, if "Letsgiveacheer" approves, then so do I.

• Upvote 3

On 7/19/2021 at 8:41 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

To quote the great Austin Powers:

”YEAH, BABY!” 

30E7D1B6-A9E3-4818-91C5-CBB5F13BF37B.jpeg.cabbbb2efb2742faa8761822602b09b2.jpeg

Speaking of uni's, or rather, game day gear. Why can't the NT bookstore come up with something like this?.....

Magellan Outdoors Men's Lake Fork Flag Fishing Shirt                                                                             - view number 1

All you have to do is change the colors in two places on the flag. Academy sells these for $25!

• Lovely Take 1