The End is Near

Makes you wonder how soon until players are not required to even take classes during the fall. Time for the NFL to open up a developmental farm system with several teams to hire players straight out of High School and stop acting like they are interested in the players education and life after they can no longer play. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Call me naive, but how is the NIL a 100% terrible thing like many on this board are making it out to be? While I do agree that there is the likelihood for separating the Power 5 from the Group of 5 and the big guns in the Power 5 from the rest, is this not fair for the athletes? Any other student on a scholarship can monetize themselves for what they are on scholarship for. Music scholarship student can release an album and make money. Art scholarship student can sell paintings and not lose a scholarship. How is this any different? 

Further, in all honesty, it is not as if UNT was competing against the big guns of college football, nor where they ever going to. I love UNT as much as the next guy, but realistic expecations are important. We can and should be the top of the also rans in the next college football shake up.

• Upvote 6
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, CarmanSandiego said:

Call me naive, but how is the NIL a 100% terrible thing like many on this board are making it out to be? While I do agree that there is the likelihood for separating the Power 5 from the Group of 5 and the big guns in the Power 5 from the rest, is this not fair for the athletes? Any other student on a scholarship can monetize themselves for what they are on scholarship for. Music scholarship student can release an album and make money. Art scholarship student can sell paintings and not lose a scholarship. How is this any different? 

Further, in all honesty, it is not as if UNT was competing against the big guns of college football, nor where they ever going to. I love UNT as much as the next guy, but realistic expecations are important. We can and should be the top of the also rans in the next college football shake up.

There is to me a big flaw with equating sports to the arts or bricklayer for that matter.   Sports should be about fair competition that is the basic of athletics.

The pros understand this that is why there are salary limits, maximum roster sizes, and college drafts.

Again and again I stress what a lot of people do not realize is that most college lose millions of dollars on athletes.  

Frankly, the courts may have destroyed any hope of maintaining anything similar to the current status of college sports.  Individual rights may be of paramount importance, but they are abridged all the time with laws, taxes, and the concept of the common good.   

This thing will evolve but there are a lot of questions to be answered.   What about title 9 ramifications?  How about the probably 80% of college teams that are significantly funded by student fees?  What about sports other than football and men's basketball that not only lose money. but have little fan appeal?  

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, CarmanSandiego said:

There are many good thing, but sadly people will look for chances to pay players (Reference Miami). Combine this with the recruiting already going on with the portal and you have opened up a "legal" way to screw things up.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CarmanSandiego said:

old white dudes are very, VERY scared of change

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Pissed 2
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 5

9 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/07/16/charles-barkley-sees-armageddon-coming-for-ncaa-after-scotus-ruling-gonna-become-an-arms-race-1104721/

I don’t care about the color of someone’s skin to decide if they are really worth listening to, as their mouths usually tell me that answer. And I have usually seen that most people’s mouths are the same color as mine…but I am a white skinned guy, so maybe I’m supposed to say I’m terrible and regret being born white every day, like so many liberals have said…

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

10 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Not really, I just know what I want and if weren't for old dudes regardless of skin color you wouldn't be sitting here playing with your electronic communication device.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

17 hours ago, CarmanSandiego said:

It's different in several significant ways. But I think, or would hope, you know the difference. 

13 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Thanks for showing up and injecting racism, ageism and your normal assumptions where they weren’t warranted, but you be you. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

So we have pay for play now, what happens when the big schools start paying really well for players?   The smaller schools with less money and a student body that will not be happy with players being paid decide to drop football and maybe basketball.  How many people who would have had a chance of a college degree will be left out.  

• Upvote 3

They’re paying players already. So what else is new? Players are going to get a bigger piece of the pie. Instead of paying coaches $5million a year, and ADs $5 million a year, and NCAA board members $5million a year, it goes to the well deserved athlete. Not to mention the football player that earns money for the school to fund every sport, sport related improvement project, and coaches salaries. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

The NCAA was at first only a playing rules association. Conferences set eligibility and aid rules and conferences of 20 teams not unheard of. 

As NCAA started being the body setting definition of aid and limits and running money generators like the tournament and football tv contract we had small leagues. 

NCAA goes out of TV business leagues grow. 

Back in 1970 AState won the College Division I title and beat two Univeristy Division teams Wichita State and The Citadel but in 1970 there was no scholarship limit in football. Conferences could set one or none and AState despite being in a lower division wasn’t out-manned because the Valley and Southern had caps at around 75 and Southland cap was 70 or 75. 

That’s what deregulation looked like back then. 

When 105 became the limit in 1973 you still had Division I ranging from 105 to 0 scholarships in the Ivy and several leagues at 70-80 dropped to 95 in 1978 and then 85 in 1992 and that was when the MAC gave up the 75 cap. 

Reforming the NCAA is overdue. 

A bunch of Arkansas schools left NAIA for Division II because the larger schools could save money on dues. The NCAA dues are basically symbolic while NAIA dues provide most of their operating income. Central Arkansas and Arkansas-Pine Bluff like about 70 or so other schools the past 40 years figured out for very little more money they could move Division I and get 1/10th or 1/12th of a conference’s NCAA tournament units and some other revenue sharing and be Division I with not a huge investment of their own money. 

The system does need to reformed because you’ve got 350ish schools in Division I and maybe 225-275 making an honest effort. I don’t mean they are going toe-to-toe and dollar for dollar with OU or Kentucky but they aren’t just doing the least and lazily collecting student fees with no sincere effort at fund-raising, ticket sales, and providing student-athletes with sincere support. 

UNT ain’t going to be OU or OKST but UNT isn’t just throwing squads out there I’ll-equipped and gobbling up schedule money like a ULM or declaring oops we aren’t making the money we expected and need to raise an already large student fee even more like UTSA. 

Make me emperor of the NCAA and the dues would be at least half the operating budget. No more using the tournament to fund the bulk of operations. I’d keep basketball units but I’d also have smaller units available based on performance in the FCS playoffs, women’s tournament, baseball and softball because last I looked those were the four most watched events besides men’s tournament. Adds a carrot to stay FCS and adds carrot to perform well in women’s sports.  

The BS of being Division I by only funding 50% of allowed scholarships goes away. Fund 90% of scholarships, grandfathering in Ivy. In team competition sports where you play a home and away head-to-head competition schedule (ie not track or golf etc) you have to play 40% of contests at home. Goodbye to the SWAC and MEAC sacrificial lamb tours in basketball. Two years ago I believe it was UA-Pine Bluff played half their conference basketball schedule and two non-Division I teams at home rest was money games and conference games on the road that ain’t Division I behavior. 

I would beef up the program study program. Can’t remember what it is called but it is like accreditation. Few years ago Grambling should have been under warning because their football weight room roof leaked on players, the ceiling tiles were moldy and falling apart and they had a significant MRSA outbreak because of poor sanitation/hygiene in the weight room. Schools should be on the clock to do right and become ineligible for post-season and revenue sharing if they don’t fix it. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/21/2021 at 5:47 AM, Got5onIt said:

They’re paying players already. So what else is new? Players are going to get a bigger piece of the pie. Instead of paying coaches $5million a year, and ADs $5 million a year, and NCAA board members $5million a year, it goes to the well deserved athlete. Not to mention the football player that earns money for the school to fund every sport, sport related improvement project, and coaches salaries. 

It is actually a new pie. Remember the player at Colorado declared ineligible years ago because he was a pro skier and had earned endorsement contracts for equipment? 

Players weren’t tapping into that money. Schools really weren’t either except jersey sales and then school could use the player’s number but not name. 

Sell the jersey with the kid’s name on it and give him a few bucks royalties. That’s just fair. 

For the most part NIL money isn’t going to change recruiting. World isn’t full of kids turning down UT for Texas Tech or Texas State. The schools players most want to play for are likely to be places where the most NIL money is. 

Most coaches won’t pull a scholarship. ADs and presidents have taken the stance that as long as the player stays eligible, comes to practice, and doesn’t cause problems the scholarship should be honored. Now that doesn’t mean the coach can’t or won’t explain that they are better off leaving if they want playing time but Bob’s Pawnshop sure as heck will turn off the NIL spigot if the four star can’t miss player is a bust. 

There will be some shifts. Maybe Cincinnati can offer a TE more than Indiana. The guy who might have stayed close to home at Tulane picks Memphis to sponsor FedEx but there won’t be widespread radical differences in recruiting. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/16/2021 at 11:33 PM, CarmanSandiego said:

I live to serve: You are naive.

• Haha 1