Boise State backup quarterback Fennegan to transfer

meangreen11

Any interest in inviting him back after leaving us at the altar?

Boise State's depth at quarterback took a hit this week when backup Cade Fennegan entered the transfer portal.

A Boise State spokesman confirmed to the Idaho Press that Fennegan plans to transfer. 

Fennegan appeared in three games last season as a true freshman, but was slated to start the year as the No. 3 quarterback behind both Hank Bachmeier and Jack Sears. 

Boise State now has just three scholarship quarterbacks on the roster heading into the 2021 season: Bachmeier, Sears and true freshman Taylen Green.

Fennegan entered in relief against No. 9 BYU due to Bachmeier being out with COVID-19 and Sears going down with an early injury. He completed 15 of 26 passes for 182 yards and two touchdowns to go along with one interception against the Cougars. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

Any interest in inviting him back?

I'd invite him to join as a walk-on. Like any other walk-on, he could then have the opportunity to earn a scholarship by outperforming other players currently on our roster. 

• Upvote 5

15 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

I would like to see him come home.  

Like others have stated, I just cannot see any Division 1 school immediately investing a scholarship on him at this time. North Texas has invested more time researching him than any other school so UNT would probably be his best and most affordable option as a walk-on. Juco ball could be an option, but, if he does not beat out the incumbent, or if he receives even a minor injury, his ball playing days may be over.

• Upvote 2

This disgusts me.

“When he was committed to UNT, I didn’t feel good about it, I just felt like he was better than that,” said Kevin Murray, Fennegan’s quarterback trainer since 2013. “USC is a great program, and I’ve known Graham for years, but I didn’t feel comfortable with Cade going there, just too much uncertainty. In Boise, you have stability, you’re going to win and you’re going to get coached up.”

https://theathletic.com/1799404/2020/05/07/cade-fennegan-boise-state-quarterback-recruiting/

He and Kevin Murray can go ride the pine someplace else.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

This disgusts me.

“When he was committed to UNT, I didn’t feel good about it, I just felt like he was better than that,” said Kevin Murray, Fennegan’s quarterback trainer since 2013. “USC is a great program, and I’ve known Graham for years, but I didn’t feel comfortable with Cade going there, just too much uncertainty. In Boise, you have stability, you’re going to win and you’re going to get coached up.”

https://theathletic.com/1799404/2020/05/07/cade-fennegan-boise-state-quarterback-recruiting/

He and Kevin Murray can go ride the pine someplace else.

There are generations of CFB fans and coaches who only know the game from their SWC and Pre-BCS experiences.  Until we are consistently in the T25 and winning in front of big audiences, that mindset won't change.

Take it as motivation to stop getting beat by 30+ points in bowl games and win a damn CUSA title every now and then.

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

There are generations of CFB fans and coaches who only know the game from their SWC and Pre-BCS experiences.  Until we are consistently in the T25 and winning in front of big audiences, that mindset won't change.

Take it as motivation to stop getting beat by 30+ points in bowl games and win a damn CUSA title every now and then.

The thing that really burns me is how he speaks of Boise compared to us when we were in the same damn conference with them when Dickey was here which wasn’t all that long ago.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

The thing that really burns me is how he speaks of Boise compared to us when we were in the same damn conference with them when Dickey was here which wasn’t all that long ago.

Bad hires man so many bad hires will do this to a program.  Hope we have turned a corner but jury is out.

Edited by meangreen11
  • Upvote 2

On 7/19/2021 at 4:23 AM, Cr1028 said:

In football time is was a long time ago. Before these current recruits were born. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1