Aune ranked 33 on Pro Football Focus FBS QB rankings, and 2nd in the state of Texas

I’ll repeat again: Austin Aune is not chopped liver.  

When 10,000+  Mean Green fans plus a 500 member Green Brigade Marching Band show up on 9-11 at SMU’s Gerald J. Ford stadium we will have the most experienced QB on the field. Having played the Northwestern State game the week before will be very important for this team.  

If Defense Coordinator Phil Bennett can have his Mean Green  “D” getting enough stops throughout the game who knows what could happen at SMU.  

••• I saw an Arkansas Razorbacks blog that had one guy on it who sounded like the Hogs would really miss UNT DL portal transfer Enoch Jackson, Jr. 

Per above link: NORTH TEXAS: AUSTIN AUNE

A good chunk of Aune’s dropbacks last season came via play-action concepts, and most of those ended in downfield shots. He recorded the third-highest play-action pass rate in the FBS (58.8%), and his average depth of target on such throws was 16.0 yards downfield. He executed the offense at a high level, finishing sixth in the FBS in passing grade (92.2) and second in big-time throw rate (14.9%) on play-action passes. That’s precisely North Texas’ path to success in 2021.

3F7BFDD5-D71C-4F26-86E0-2092B2FD9743.jpeg.bdf6ecf70815c703322d59c87e245358.jpeg

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I’ll repeat again: Austin Aune is not chopped liver.  

When 10,000+  Mean Green fans plus a 500 member Green Brigade Marching Band show up on 9-11 at SMU’s Gerald J. Ford stadium we will have the most experienced QB on the field. Having played the Northwestern State game the week before will be very important for this team.  

If Defense Coordinator Phil Bennett can have his Mean Green  “D” getting enough stops throughout the game who knows what could happen at SMU.  

••• I saw an Arkansas Razorbacks blog that had one guy on it who sounded like the Hogs would really miss UNT DL portal transfer Enoch Jackson, Jr. 

Per above link: NORTH TEXAS: AUSTIN AUNE

A good chunk of Aune’s dropbacks last season came via play-action concepts, and most of those ended in downfield shots. He recorded the third-highest play-action pass rate in the FBS (58.8%), and his average depth of target on such throws was 16.0 yards downfield. He executed the offense at a high level, finishing sixth in the FBS in passing grade (92.2) and second in big-time throw rate (14.9%) on play-action passes. That’s precisely North Texas’ path to success in 2021.

3F7BFDD5-D71C-4F26-86E0-2092B2FD9743.jpeg.bdf6ecf70815c703322d59c87e245358.jpeg

❇️🦅❇️

E0A1DC89-9458-4DB3-9A68-E70953AEC324.png

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

25 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

To me, I don't see how you go snag a P5 QB if you're not concerned about the position group. In my mind, the staff is going to give Ruder every opportunity to beat out Aune. If Aune does end up the starter then it will be because he earned the right. 

Jace just may have been one of those opportunities too good to pass on. I will 110% welcome a good (pre-season) QB showdown, but please let's not do this Bean/Aune thing again.

Unless the winner is such an abysmal failure that you have to pull him, let him learn and build from experience. Otherwise it has got to be demoralizing to be pulled every couple series because of mistakes. Stage fright happens, mistakes happen, but it's the best teacher also on how to manage it.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

CFB Film Room showed Aune as having graded top 20% in most areas. Statistically, not opinion formed.

I love how the magazines have already handed him the starting job. They know jack squat about what happens at NT.

• Eye Roll 1

57 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I love how the magazines have already handed him the starting job. They know jack squat about what happens at NT.

It’s kind of a default thing. Not gonna show a dude who never even took a snap in spring showing as the starter. There’s no evidence, so it’s hard to make the claim that Ruder is the projected starter. Alternatively I remember at least one magazine in 2013 showing Brock Berglund as the projected starter. 

• Upvote 2