Art Briles

Blue Horse

Okay, so I know I'm an SMU person, but I love football so hear me out. If North Texas has a bad year, would you consider hiring Art Briles? Now before you downvote me, consider that the man would give you instant credibility with recruiting, help with nil, and probably give you a better game coach than SMU AND TCU. 

And you already have Bennett, his brother in arms. You'd have an advantage in attracting him.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Oh Boy! 3
  • Downvote 5

1 minute ago, Blue Horse said:

Okay, so I know I'm an SMU person, but I love football so hear me out. If North Texas has a bad year, would you consider hiring Art Briles? Now before you downvote me, consider that the man would give you instant credibility with recruiting, help with nil, and probably give you a better game coach than SMU AND TCU. 

And you already have Bennett, his brother in arms. You'd have an advantage in attracting him.

Wow - that's crazy man!  But conceivable....especially with PB here as well as Bloesch.  Makes for a perfect landing pad.  Beware though I can sense the church lady fans on here are rattling their sabres.  And North Texas is such a woke place these days not sure it would fly with current leadership. 

I hate to admit that given the schedule I have thought about who would be the best next guy here.  My guess is they will hire another McCarney type, old but with true FBS coaching experience.  Seth required too much on the job training in hindsite.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 3

Smatresk would never let Briles happen.  No denying he is (or was) a great coach, though.

3 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I truly hope we don’t get to that place where we have to change coaches. I like SL and want him to succeed like nobody’s business…..BUT, if we stumble and a change is made….AND….Michigan does the same…..I would jump on the Jim Harbaugh train in a heartbeat. 

thoughts???

Yes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Blue Horse said:

Bennett worked with Briles a long time.  Why would Bennett take the job at UNT under a likely lame duck head coach? Perhaps Bennett is here to lure Briles, or perhaps Bennett is already part of an ongoing plan to bring in Briles next year?

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

Regardless of guilt... Briles is a PR nightmare and potential recruiting black hole. Maybe he could get a coordinator role somewhere in p5 and rebuild, but you'd have to be truly desperate to get into bed with that bad karma...

Which sadly we might just be

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Bennett worked with Briles a long time.  Why would Bennett take the job at UNT under a likely lame duck head coach? Perhaps Bennett is here to lure Briles, or perhaps Bennett is already part of an ongoing plan to bring in Briles next year?

Bobby Moynihan No GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Blue Horse said:

Herein lies the big difference in our schools.  You will try to win at any cost, damn the consequences.

Just No to Art Briles.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

We:

- Brought Todd Dodge out of high school

- Allowed him to bring his high school staff

- Allowed him to stay for several years past the reasonable point of no return

Sorry, I just don't see anything as impossible. 

But we had over 5,000 fans for the Spring game that first year under Dodge.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

We:

- Brought Todd Dodge out of high school

- Allowed him to bring his high school staff

- Allowed him to stay for several years past the reasonable point of no return

Sorry, I just don't see anything as impossible. 

Anything remotely comparable to that happening now with Smatresk and Baker seems completely out of the realm of possibility. Not to say they are perfect, but they are damn near the antithesis of Bataille and RV when it comes to running this AD. So much so that I don’t think we can use what happened under them as any real predictor of imminent AD decision making.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Blue Horse said:

For me personally, I’d take him in a heartbeat (with substantial oversight of course) but there are too many pitchforks around my beloved alma mater for that to ever happen. If Seth does get tossed, we will make a “safe” hire and strive for 6-6 and a bowl game. It is the North Texas way, but hey, we do it with dignity, just ask us.

PS. I’m still waiting for the sky to fall at Liberty where Ian McCaw is AD and the 4 schools Kendal was hired at since Baylor but I’m sure their reckoning will be along any time. Boy are they gonna regret it when the news organizations find out somebody hired those guys after Baylor.

Hell, @TruthWinsTate Wallis got hired here despite pissing off Brenda Tracy, got accused of misconduct by a high school student and the national news STILL didn’t give two shits about what is happening in Denton.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Eye Roll 1

On 7/8/2021 at 2:55 PM, Blue Horse said:

Yes, easily. You want to put This program on the map? Three things happen. 

1. Briles continues to do shady stuff and the program takes a significant step back from 113th best in the nation to 132nd. NCAA doesn’t care because we’re North Texas.

2. Briles isn’t as successful as we thought and we go from 113th to 132nd

3. Briles achieves massive success and we build a juggernaut of a program shooting into the top 50 programs in the nation 

Either way its a risk I would be willing to take with a lot of oversight. Now go ahead and downvote me.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

On 7/8/2021 at 7:10 PM, Cr1028 said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31599860/jury-finds-baylor-not-responsible-alleged-sexual-assault-ex-football-players

Maybe Matt Rhule should face consequences for his players videotaping their 3some with an equestrian team member.

I guess I misread where it said the Jury finds Baylor not responsible. Seems another case where some only agree when the verdict is one they like.

• Upvote 2