Final Roster Spot Speculation

It’s a slow time of the year for actual news so I guess now is as good time as ever for some non-confirmed speculation. 

Yesterday was the deadline to withdraw from the NBA draft. Javion Hamlet was NOT among the players who withdrew. We weren’t expecting him to withdraw, but he also is not showing up anywhere on mock drafts so it might have made some sense for him to withdraw.

Given that we are still holding onto one scholarship, I couldn’t help but wonder if we may have been saving it for Hamlet just in case. Even if the chance of him returning was always slim, it definitely would have been a bad look to tell him we didn’t have any scholarships left. Sure we could’ve made room, but that would’ve meant kicking a former teammate of his off scholarship so that would not have been ideal either.

At any rate, with that possibility now completely erased, maybe we see Mccasland go out and get someone with it now. Going on a month now since we filled the 11th and 12th scholarship roster spots. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking it was for Simmons. No clue why he up and left. Super competitive out there if your going to make any kind of money. He would make significantly more staying in school and furthering his engineering degree. Would like to have him fill that last spot. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 5

16 hours ago, Andrew said:

I was thinking it was for Simmons. No clue why he up and left. Super competitive out there if your going to make any kind of money. He would make significantly more staying in school and furthering his engineering degree. Would like to have him fill that last spot. 

His mother, Kathy, told me in Indiana that his knees are the limiting factor. He has problems with them and wants to play professional ball in Europe. His mom's background is from there.

So, we knew that the tournament was his swansong at UNT. Sadly though! He's very smart hopefully he will come back for his masters to Denton.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mo Green said:

His mother, Kathy, told me in Indiana that his knees are the limiting factor. He has problems with them and wants to play professional ball in Europe. His mom's background is from there.

So, we knew that the tournament was his swansong at UNT. Sadly though! He's very smart hopefully he will come back for his masters to Denton.

Fwiw he didn’t enter his name into the NBA draft so definitely seems like he’s looking straight to options outside of the US.

Hamlet been posting pics on Instagram about workouts with some NBA teams. I think we see him take the Ryan Woolridge route where it’s overseas then G league. Ryan was pretty solid last year for OKC.

D1FF800F-8E92-4688-88A8-1BE65FBA4217.jpeg

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
Added Hamlet

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

He’s been posting pics on Instagram about workouts with some NBA teams. I think we see him take the Ryan Woolridge route where it’s overseas then G league. Ryan was pretty solid last year for OKC.

D1FF800F-8E92-4688-88A8-1BE65FBA4217.jpeg

Was talking about Zach Simmons. Not Hamlet