Could SMUt be undefeated in 2021?

Jonnyeagle

Looking at the SMU schedule, road game at La Tech won't be easy, it will be the Dogs biggest home game of the season, road game against a revenge minded TCU team, that will have 2 weeks to prepare, wins at Navy rarely happen, Tulane is much improved and hates SMU, road game at Houston, road game at a good Memphis team, very good UCF team, road game against a Cincinnati team that was in the top 10 last year, close with Tulsa, that hates them similar to Tulane. 8-4 would be good, but it's undeniable, Sonny Dykes is building a powerful program.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

18 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Houston Memphis Cincy all away, and all in a row along with UCF.  Not easy. The first part with ACU, LaTech, and UNT will be a good warm up/break in for our new QB

Pretty fair assessment. Our defensive line and secondary will be at it's best since 2016.

If Tune has made the proper improvements on his accuracy and time management, we should have a much better team this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

On 7/8/2021 at 2:13 PM, DentonStang said:

Houston Memphis Cincy all away, and all in a row along with UCF.  Not easy. The first part with ACU, LaTech, and UNT will be a good warm up/break in for our new QB

This 4 game road stretch with a UCF home game sandwiched in there will be extremely difficult. Right now, my guess would be somewhere between 8-4 and 10-2 for the Mustangs. Mordecai should be as productive as Beuchele, and the defense will be improved under Leavitt. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT Mean Green said:

This 4 game road stretch with a UCF home game sandwiched in there will be extremely difficult. Right now, my guess would be somewhere between 8-4 and 10-2 for the Mustangs. Mordecai should be as productive as Beuchele, and the defense will be improved under Leavitt. 

I think as low as 6-6 is possible if all the breaks go against us. I'm predicting 8-4 with decent QB play.  

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

I think as low as 6-6 is possible if all the breaks go against us. I'm predicting 8-4 with decent QB play.  

I get what you are saying.  Your QB's especially the OU transfer come with much accolades but still unproven.  With Aune at least he has had some snaps at this level.  Where I predict SMU's success is at the skill positions as they have a star studded class, especially that OU transfer at tight end.   Speaking of which, why does SMU get so many high level transfers from OU?  Is there some coaching connection there?

Edited by Tom McKrackin
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I get what you are saying.  Your QB's especially the OU transfer come with much accolades but still unproven.  With Aune at least he has had some snaps at this level.  Where I predict SMU's success is at the skill positions as they have a star studded class, especially that OU transfer at tight end.   Speaking of which, why does SMU get so many high level transfers from OU?  Is there some coaching connection there?

Our OC is Garrett Riley, brother of OU HC Lincoln Riley. Not sure I understand that mechanism since many transfers and OU decommits are not players OU is looking to lose, so unlikely Lincoln is suggesting they check out SMU.

• Upvote 1