Sure Seems Quiet

1 hour ago, MCMLXXX said:

I understand that it is the quiet period.  That is why I mentioned visits "in the future", but commitments sure don't seem to be slowing down.  Per 247, there have been 50+ since July 4th alone.

• Upvote 2

This is the most quiet UNT recruiting in the month of June and July have been in a long time. 1 recruit in the past 2 months... 3 in total. I know COVID rule is going to probably limit the numbers for 2022, but 3 in July isn't that good and not typical of Seth.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

This is the most quiet UNT recruiting in the month of June and July have been in a long time. 1 recruit in the past 2 months... 3 in total. I know COVID rule is going to probably limit the numbers for 2022, but 3 in July isn't that good and not typical of Seth.

By my count we have 81 players on scholarship and only 8 are seniors. So technically there are only 12 spots open for this class. Obviously there will end up being more than that due to inevitable transfers and players quitting that we always get.

I wonder how many commitments we can really push for right now. My guess is the coaches are going to hold spots for transfers like most coaching staffs are doing now, and with the few spots we have available they probably aren’t in a position to take 15+ commits before the season like they have done in recent years.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

By my count we have 81 players on scholarship and only 8 are seniors. So technically there are only 12 spots open for this class. Obviously there will end up being more than that due to inevitable transfers and players quitting that we always get.

I wonder how many commitments we can really push for right now. My guess is the coaches are going to hold spots for transfers like most coaching staffs are doing now, and with the few spots we have available they probably aren’t in a position to take 15+ commits before the season like they have done in recent years.

Ive heard a rumor the number could be in the single digits... 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I think this is something we forget.  We had a really young team and then the extra year compounded that as noted by the numbers above.  I hope this doesn't hurt us in the coming years, but there has to be some sort of "roster management" to balance out the numbers.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Ive heard a rumor the number could be in the single digits... 

Yikes. Feel for the 2022 kids. NCAA has to step in and make a rule where transfers don’t count towards the 25-per class limit. Maybe say you get 25 HS/JUCO kids and 10 D1 transfers? Coupled with all these kids getting an extra season, there isn’t enough room in the 25 class spots or the 85 roster spots for 2022 kids.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I think this is something we forget.  We had a really young team and then the extra year compounded that as noted by the numbers above.  I hope this doesn't hurt us in the coming years, but there has to be some sort of "roster management" to balance out the numbers.

Correct. We should have 16 redshirt freshmen and 31 true freshmen on this year’s roster. 47 of 81 players on scholarship will be classified as freshmen this season, by my count.

Sure a big chunk of those players will transfer but how many will get replaced through the portal or JUCO ranks by transfers of the same class? We have to gradually even things out the next four years, otherwise you’d be looking at 30 or so Seniors all leaving at once.

Giving players an extra season may have been the right thing to do, but it is complicating things big time down the line. That plus one-time sit-out free transfers all at once has created the perfect storm. 

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Yikes. Feel for the 2022 kids. NCAA has to step in and make a rule where transfers don’t count towards the 25-per class limit. Maybe say you get 25 HS/JUCO kids and 10 D1 transfers? Coupled with all these kids getting an extra season, there isn’t enough room in the 25 class spots or the 85 roster spots for 2022 kids.

If G5 schools are patient there is a chance some very good HS players could be available at the end. The problem will be will they stay around or will they use G5 schools as a stepping stone.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 6:05 PM, BillySee58 said:

Yes sir, they are getting screwed worse than 2021.  Schools/Rosters are maxed out.  I am hearing some Universities will be asking kids to move on and seek other options to possibly clear up space.  It is going to get messy.  

• Thanks 2