Top 5 players in NT Football history

13 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I love your list except that for me, I’d just replace Mason with Joe Greene. Brelan was pretty special too, just like Jeff Wilson and Pat Cobbs but this is a tough list create.

Yeah, there were honorable mentions in my mind that I just didn't add. And 2 are certainly Jeff and Brelan. Another player that came to mind that did so much for the program in hidden statistics and was a staple for that 2013 defense was Richard Abbe. And you could easily replace my 5A and 5B with Jeff and Brelan. But i thought the best defense we've had in a long time on the best team we've had in a long time needed love. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/7/2021 at 1:31 PM, GrandGreen said:

Eric Pegrim  imo the best rb I have ever seen at NT, didn't have numbers because he played on very bad teams

Probably gets lost, buried underneath all the fantastic numbers we have seen at his same position since then.

He was before my time.  Would love to read more about him.  Had a 1K yard season in the NFL.  Sounds like he was very good.

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2021 at 12:15 PM, greenminer said:

I'm going to second Booger, and I think most would agree.

I always love hearing from @SilverEagle in these topics.

You're so kind.....but probably the only one....😉

On 7/8/2021 at 8:05 PM, Cooley said:

Mean Joe Green, DT

Ron Shanklin, WR

Steve Ramsey, QB

Walter Chapman, NT

Abner Haynes, RB

Leonard Dunlap, DB

Cedrick Hardeman, DL

Ken Washington, QB

Bernard Jackson, RB

Brandon Kennedy, DT

Johnny Quinn, WR

Phillip Armor, C

Burks Washington, LB

JT Smith, DB

Luis Silva, TE

Excellent grouping. I would find room for Nick Zuniga, who started at OG as a true freshman and made all conference the next three years. People don't know how hard it is for someone to become a starter in the OL as a true freshman.

After Greene, Hardeman and Booger, I would nominate Rex Johnson in the DL.

Ken Washington was good, but IMHO Jordan Case, and Joe Stevenson were better QB's of that era.

In the Corkey Nelson-Dennie Parker era, the two best were Scott Davis and Mitch Maher.

Steve Ramsey was more versatile than most people realize. His senior year he was the team punter with a 38 yard average. 

John Love deserves mention as well. He didn't have Darden numbers, but he was the leading receiver in the nation in 1966 and was honorable mention all-American. The year before he got 144 yards receiving against (former SWC power) Arkansas in the 6th game of the season. By the sixth game Arkansas had plenty of film on him and still couldn't stop him.

• Upvote 3

On 7/10/2021 at 12:31 AM, UNTLifer said:

Torn ACL if I remember correctly. Played through it. 

He injured/tore his bicep on his throwing arm when he hit the top of Boogers helmet on a  follow-thru on a throw during a pre-Texas game passing drill. He was out the rest of the season after the Texas game.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

My only hesitation with Waters is that he was moved around to various positions while at North Texas.  If we are basing these rankings off of their time at UNT, then Waters is not top five.

Yep.  If we are going by NFL production, then Jamize Olawale beats out Booger, Johnny Quinn, and a whole lot of NT greats.

Brian was a very good player at UNT, and went on to represent UNT very admirably as an NFL player, but I don't see him as one of the top 5 players during his time at UNT.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

My only hesitation with Waters is that he was moved around to various positions while at North Texas.  If we are basing these rankings off of their time at UNT, then Waters is not top five.

I agree and would add, there should be points taken off if a player was in the I-AA years or Southland as they played against lessor competition.  There also should be points removed for a juco or transfer as they did not have as big a canvas of work.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

image.jpeg.788721bd9b26470f0775e0035ba3e944.jpeg

I mean absolutely no disrespect for Brian Waters, but his inclusion bothered me.  This is purely based on his fantastic NFL career that I don't think anyone predicted when he graduated.  He was moved around from OL to TE and even DE while at North Texas.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

On 7/13/2021 at 3:07 PM, UNTLifer said:

My idea was off of UNT production. NFL production would change some of my people

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

My idea was off of UNT production. NFL production would change some of my people

This is a problem a lot of people have when you talk about best "college" players - they want to include what they did in the pros. Take Tebow or Manziel; both great college players who did not transition to the NFL. Another reason why the most "ready to play in the NFL" players do not always win the Heisman.