Top 5 players in NT Football history

I have a question for the long time fans here or really anyone. Besides Joe Greene, who are the other 4 players that would be in consideration for the top 5 best NT football players of all time.

I would have Abner Haynes, Ray Renfro, and i'm not sure about the other 2. 

• Upvote 2

I think we have had some great players and you have listed many.   I might add Jaelon Darden and Cody Spencer were our two highest drafted players in the modern era.  I also think Brian Waters who has been up for NFL Hall of Fame consideration and my retro pick is Cedric Hardeman who was a 1st round draft choice in the NFL and tremendous pass rusher.  He had a 12 year career in the NFL and USFL.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Have to start with 3 NT first round draft picks, in consecutive years

Joe Greene 

Cedrick Hardman

Leonard Dunlap

Add Booger Kennedy and Ron Shanklin

honorable mention

Eric Pegrim  imo the best rb ever at NT, didn't have numbers because he played on very bad teams

Mason Fine

Walter Chapman - His stats were unbelivable for a nose guard

- Numbers don't compare to Fine only because he played a lot less games

Glen Holloway - One of the best ever offensive linemen NT

Good takes. Mason had great stats, but you could argue, based on QB play at the time, Steve Ramsey was a better player. He lead the the teams to a 22-6-1.

From the UNT site -
By the end of his college career, Ramsey had been named to the MVC All-Conference team three times and owned NCAA passing records for most total offense yards, most touchdowns responsible for, most points responsible for, most completions, most passing yards, most touchdown passes, most pass attempts, most touchdown passes by a passer-receiver combination (30 with Ron Shanklin), and the most single-game yards per completion (a stunning 33.3 yards per completion against Cincinnati in 1968).

Ramsey still ranks second all-time at North Texas in career passing yards (7,076), first in career 300-yard passing games (six) and first in career touchdown passes (69), and he owns the third, fourth, fifth, seventh, eighth, and ninth longest pass plays in school history. Most impressively, Ramsey's career win-loss record is 22-6-1. Ramsey was drafted in 1970 by the New Orleans Saints and played seven years in the NFL, six with Denver.

• Upvote 5

I think Jaelon is one of the 5 after thinking about it. Being a consensus All American is something that happens once in a half century here, and him breaking the draft drought, I think, makes him top 5 worthy.

Looking at Ramsey vs Fine, both had different situations. If Fine had an O Line, he would be the automatic pick. Since he didn’t get drafted and didn’t win a bowl/championship (which I know is not his fault at all because he was the most determined player I’ve ever seen) I think Ramsey takes it.

So many great players, doing 5 is hard but that’s what I wanted to do. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I think we have had some great players and you have listed many.   I might add Jaelon Darden and Cody Spencer were our two highest drafted players in the modern era.  I also think Brian Waters who has been up for NFL Hall of Fame consideration and my retro pick is Cedric Hardeman who was a 1st round draft choice in the NFL and tremendous pass rusher.  He had a 12 year career in the NFL and USFL.

I am going to disagree on one of your picks.  Brian Waters who was a good not great tight end at NT.   He obviously had a great pro career when they moved him to the offensive line.  

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I think Jaelon is one of the 5 after thinking about it. Being a consensus All American is something that happens once in a half century here, and him breaking the draft drought, I think, makes him top 5 worthy.

I think we haven't really appreciated what Darden did last year.  Wild to think about that.

Except for Jamario's freshman year, hard to think of a single season with more productivity/efficiency. 

• Upvote 5

Mean Joe Green, DT

Ron Shanklin, WR

Steve Ramsey, QB

Walter Chapman, NT

Abner Haynes, RB

Leonard Dunlap, DB

Cedrick Hardeman, DL

Ken Washington, QB

Bernard Jackson, RB

Brandon Kennedy, DT

Johnny Quinn, WR

Phillip Armor, C

Burks Washington, LB

JT Smith, DB

Luis Silva, TE

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I know there have been UNT greats, but i didn't see them play. I'm going into my 11th year following the program and in my time...

1. MF

2. Dunbar

3. ZO35

4. Darden

5A. Laramie Lee 5B. Trice 

I love your list except that for me, I’d just replace Mason with Joe Greene. Brelan was pretty special too, just like Jeff Wilson and Pat Cobbs but this is a tough list create.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1