UNT - the "Texas" of CUSA

53 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

I'll get a lot of pushback for this,  but here goes.

For a lot of people,  all is right in the universe when the University of Texas is dominating college football,  particularly regarding the Big 12. The natural order of things is askew when the likes of Baylor or Iowa St. are winning and representing in  a New Years Day bowl. When it comes to college football and the Big 12, it should always come down to Texas and maybe OU. 

That said, there is no question that UNT should be the Texas of CUSA. Oh sure, La Tech or maybe S. Miss can make occasional noise, but our beloved university should routinely be at the top every year in football and basketball. No other school can match our academics, facilities, location and leadership. Therefore, I hereby proclaim the University of North Texas as the flagship university of CUSA. Thanks to Dr. Smastrick (sp), Wren Baker and the BOR, we are well on the way. Shout out to Grant McCasland for what he has accomplished since his arrival. The best is yet to come! Now if Seth can raise our game, and quickly, we will have arrived. Then, it's on to bigger and better digs! OK, fire away.

GO MEAN GREEN!

As regards football, despite having the highest paid football coach in CUSA, our football program is sandwiched between UTSA, Texas State, Rice, and UTEP. I have had Club Hub season ticket tickets with White parking from the get go and decided this year to punt. I have followed North Texas football since my freshman year 1961 and will continue to root for them but from afar. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6
  • Pissed 2

✳️ Tuesday 7/6/21 Update:  Just added 2 new pics of the Track & Soccer Stadium & what I believe to be it’s  “Light the Tower”  Athlete’s Lounge. __________________

️️u🟠t️—-Just as long as we don’t get too many “THEY’RE BACK” headlines when “they’re not really back?🙃

Yes, HunterGreen, we’re in “By God Texas” with more in our combined constituencies than any school around plus with the best overall athletic venues in CUSA & better than several in the AAC—with-more-on-the-way. ➡️ Just watch what Wren Baker will deliver with what I believe will be the most impressive Athletic Center/End Zone Facility combo in CUSA.  Probably done in 2 phases, but it will ultimately be a beaut’! 

••• My gut feeling tells me even starting with the grueling 2021 schedule we will start a run of multi-successful football seasons not seen since many of us were in our 20’s. 
We have all pistons running congruently with UNT leadership, our rich & famous giving in larger amounts than before & 8,000,000 Texans all within 1-1.5 hours from our campus knowing what’s happening up in Mean Green Country!  It can’t get better than this!8047639A-4D68-4B23-BDB7-6998556B6593.jpeg.d98d82a849482a686ecbaffd3838a373.jpegF377A955-D34B-45AA-A8E0-E7D19E77452B.jpeg.ee4ca0b47b432930e1ae921df5d76006.jpegE6E2385D-9499-43C1-9CC1-1DBA3423186A.jpeg.e19427c3e616c221a507f6526d610101.jpegEDAA3E90-2CD2-477E-A312-FEA8413417CD.jpeg.9458d37e060193000d48290725a71580.jpeg0BA7F5C7-F363-48F8-8483-961755FA0CDA.jpeg.feb4659ab6de432bfad12d7f60a23431.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Eye Roll 2

4 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

I'll get a lot of pushback for this,  but here goes.

For a lot of people,  all is right in the universe when the University of Texas is dominating college football,  particularly regarding the Big 12. The natural order of things is askew when the likes of Baylor or Iowa St. are winning and representing in  a New Years Day bowl. When it comes to college football and the Big 12, it should always come down to Texas and maybe OU. 

That said, there is no question that UNT should be the Texas of CUSA. Oh sure, La Tech or maybe S. Miss can make occasional noise, but our beloved university should routinely be at the top every year in football and basketball. No other school can match our academics, facilities, location and leadership. Therefore, I hereby proclaim the University of North Texas as the flagship university of CUSA. Thanks to Dr. Smastrick (sp), Wren Baker and the BOR, we are well on the way. Shout out to Grant McCasland for what he has accomplished since his arrival. The best is yet to come! Now if Seth can raise our game, and quickly, we will have arrived. Then, it's on to bigger and better digs! OK, fire away.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Hard pass.  I’ll take being the OU of CUSA…with conference titles and national relevance each year. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Should we be? Hell yeah. I'm green for life.

But we need to consistently beat KFC university (aka north mexico university.... Aka UTSA fighting colonels)... So yeah, SL needs to pull up his big boy britches and do the job

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Udomann said:

But we need to consistently beat KFC university (aka north mexico university.... Aka UTSA fighting colonels)... So yeah, SL needs to pull up his big boy britches and do the job

Just want to remind everyone, because it is kind of buried underneath last year's embarrassment, that we have won 4 of the last 6.

• Lovely Take 1

It makes sense to think this, but we seem to be the exception more than the rule. I think that the reality for this to happen in hoops is much stronger than it ever will be for football. Just from a sheer numbers standpoint, the right coach and player combo can take you a long way in college basketball. And we do have a great venue for that sport. 

Football is obviously the harder one to expect. From the day we came back up to I-A in 1995, we have been extremely behind our peers. Fouts was an albatross, the conference affiliations were, for the most part, atrocious, and our choices for coaches mirrored the ridiculousness of our leadership's views of the sport. Today, Apogee is amazing, the conference setup we have is the best we have had since the MVC days of the late 60s (maybe even ever), and the coach gets paid a lot here.

But we compete with 6 other G5s in our state for recruits, as well as another 6 G5s in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana. Exactly none of those schools have the baggage of the past to carry like we do--none. Ask high school football coaches today about our program and they will still scoff about this place ever being really good at football. The older ones know about our legacy of apathy and the younger ones have only known us as losers, with the occasional good season mixed in. They seem to like Seth Littrell and his offensive approach, since it mirrors almost all of theirs in this glorified 7-on-7 stuff we see in football today, so recruiting has definitely picked up here (finally). But until we can match the physicality of La Tech, USM, and UAB, we are still behind the eight ball here. We just get pounded into the turf when we play these guys.

Since 2013, when we first got into the league, Rice has won it all,  we have won a division title, and UT-satellites have managed to finish second a few times. Otherwise, the winners have been LT in 2014 and 2016, USM in 2015, and UAB has won them all every year since 2018, with two conference titles in there. In actuality, not only are we not anywhere close to the OPs wish, NONE of the Texas CUSA schools are anywhere close to being the team to expect to see at the top of CUSA West. So far, since we have been in CUSA, the Texas schools have just kind of shuffled places between themselves, never really distinguishing themselves from the others. Right now, UTSA is where we were just 4 years ago, which ironically, is where they were just before that when we completely torpedoed their momentum on the back-breaking 98-yard TD drive in Denton by Mason Fine.

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2021 at 3:12 PM, TheColonyEagle said:

If you mean top notch facilities and big coach’s salaries and all the shiny stuff (when compared to their conference mates) with nothing tangible as far as results on the football field then yes….we for sure are the UT of CUSA. 

UT is most famous for doing the least with the most. TheColonyEagle hit the nail on the head regarding our football program. We wanted a program like Texas and now we have one. Also, bull shit on the "baggage". If we have not  over come that rap by now then shut down the program.

• Oh Boy! 1