2021-2022 Basketball Schedule

19 hours ago, Magic95Fan said:

Reading through Rocco Miller's Bracketeer schedules and he mentions that LSU still has a pending postponed home game against UNT. No idea what the contract looks like for that game, but it would be nice to get that rescheduled for this season.

I saw that too, it would be a great game for the schedule. LSU is looking like a top 5 SEC team. Hopefully the Mississippi State game was some sort of 2 for 1. They should be a good team

Looked at the LSU schedule, and they have 13 games already. I don't think we will be playing LSU

I also looked at the Texas Tech schedule, and it said this under pending: Finalizing neutral site game at Dickies Arena, opponent unknown. Also looking at playing an off campus game in the Midland/Odessa area

That would be a cool event to play in. Love playing TTU

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I saw that too, it would be a great game for the schedule. LSU is looking like a top 5 SEC team. Hopefully the Mississippi State game was some sort of 2 for 1. They should be a good team

Well Mississippi State released their non conference, and we weren’t on it. That sucks.

Hopefully we find out more info soon on the schedule.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn’t expect return trips to Denton from any of our non-conference road opponents from last year’s schedule. 

Those games seemed to be last-minute scheduled games rather than any sort contractual series’. UTA on the other hand, that does seem strange for that series to seemingly be discontinued.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Magic95Fan said:

Just as annoying as not being on Mississippi State's schedule is that UTA already has 12 OOC games scheduled and we are not one of them. It would be a shame to not play that game.

I would like an answer to this question as well.  UTA coworker claims we are ducking them.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, greengal said:

I would like an answer to this question as well.  UTA coworker claims we are ducking them.

2 hours ago, Magic95Fan said:

Other than them dragging down our NET, we have no reason to duck them. 

In that way, we might be. Looks like our non-conference schedules are shaping up with 4 types of games:

1 - Preseason tournament games

2 - Road games at High Major and At-Large caliber Mid Major programs

3 - Home and homes with top quality Mid Major programs and hopefully High Majors

4 - Home games with no return games from Sun Belt and lower competition

Wren might just feel like at this point he can get better quality programs than UTA to take up spots in that 3rd category. In 19-20 we hosted Little Rock, who went on to win the Sun Belt regular season title that year, and it appears as though there was never going to be a return game there. 

I don’t know if we really have the status to be “big-timing” UTA, but Wren’s job is to put together the best schedule he can. If that means home & homes and neutral-site games with programs like Nevada and Tulsa in lieu of a UTA series, then that’s what he has to do.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On 7/19/2021 at 11:58 AM, BillySee58 said:

I wouldn’t expect return trips to Denton from any of our non-conference road opponents from last year’s schedule. 

Those games seemed to be last-minute scheduled games rather than any sort contractual series’. UTA on the other hand, that does seem strange for that series to seemingly be discontinued.

Mississippi State was scheduled in like May, that was one of the few games we played that was previously scheduled.

Now I know this might be a stretch, but we played at Arkansas the past 2 years. Like OU in 17 and 18 then home in 2019, maybe the Arkansas series is a 2 for 1? Because Arkansas was another one of the teams that was scheduled early on before the Covid factor.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Personal college sports fan peeve: Using football nomenclature (P5/G5) in the basketball realm.

Not hating you though: the media is perpetuating/reenforcing this.

The basketball terminology for this is probably more offensive though.

"High Major" = P5 conference schools & Big East.
"Mid Major" = Other formerly-D1A schools + A10 (& WCC now that Gonzaga is a player).
"Low Major" = All the other formerly-D1AA schools.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

"Mid Major" = Other formerly-D1A schools + A10 (& WCC now that Gonzaga is a player).

[back in the realm of FB] if you really want to dig into this and what is being normalized, look at how the media treats the indies.  It's subtle, but there.  The P5/G5 label - to my understanding - came about from the BCS era, from conference contracts and tie-ins to specific bowls.  Technically speaking, the indy programs such as ND, Army, etc, do not fall under those labels (not affiliated with conferences).  But watch how the media heads refer to ND (P5) vs. Army/AF/etc (G5).  Just my observation: seems to reflect a built-in bias towards "haves" and "have nots".

Now that I think about it, however, there is a possibility that this is okay for ND.  IIRC, there were clauses/provisions in place to allow ND into the BCS games.

Whew! okay.  I'm ready for some Mean Green football.  Ready for SL's do-or-die year.

• Lovely Take 2

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I've never felt anything offensive from them, though I get what you're saying.  To me it's just lazy and informal.

Coined waaay before the BCS, though, in 1977.  And used so much it feels official.

• Upvote 1

I am not knocking McC, but this looks like his usual oc scheduling.

Playing great competition on the road, and just whoever cheap NT can schedule at home. 

I think there is a big uptick in the number of good neutral site games which is obviously good. 

Few programs play tough oc games at home.  Primarily, because good teams don't want to risk a loss on the road when they can schedule their on set of patsy's at home. 

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I am not knocking McC, but this looks like his usual oc scheduling.

Playing great competition on the road, and just whoever cheap NT can schedule at home. 

I think there is a big uptick in the number of good neutral site games which is obviously good. 

Few programs play tough oc games at home.  Primarily, because good teams don't want to risk a loss on the road when they can schedule their on set of patsy's at home. 

This is far and away the best schedule Mac has put together. Nevada should be a top 2 team in the Mountain West, and UTA brought in a lot of talent. 2 great home games right there.

A road game against a tournament and top 3 AAC team in Wichita State

Then we have one of the best pre season tournaments this year in the ESPN invitational with 5 tournament teams. Then 2 neutral site games against a solid Tulsa team that won the AAC in 2020 and a decent Umass team.

I don’t remember playing neutral site games like this before minus tournaments. 
The talent level some of these teams posses is crazy, and I don’t see any Maryland Eastern Shore or Angelo States on the schedule like “usual”.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

This is far and away the best schedule Mac has put together. Nevada should be a top 2 team in the Mountain West, and UTA brought in a lot of talent. 2 great home games right there.

A road game against a tournament and top 3 AAC team in Wichita State

Then we have one of the best pre season tournaments this year in the ESPN invitational with 5 tournament teams. Then 2 neutral site games against a solid Tulsa team that won the AAC in 2020 and a decent Umass team.

I don’t remember playing neutral site games like this before minus tournaments. 
The talent level some of these teams posses is crazy, and I don’t see any Maryland Eastern Shore or Angelo States on the schedule like “usual”.

You do realize that NT has not released it's oc schedule.   I would be very surprised if NT doesn't play a number of schools such as Maryland Eastern Shore or Angelo St. 

Nevada was 10-7 last year in the WAC and should be a great home game.  They return all their starters plus picked up some notable transfers.  Some early projections are predicted them in the top 25.   Maybe the best home game NT has had since the MVC days. 

I would not put UTA as a great home game, although it has been a great rivalry going back decades. 

I stated that the neutral site games were very impressive and they are much better than away games with no returns to Denton. 

NT's schedule obviously is benefitting from last year's NCAA tournament win.   

Overall based on what we know now, you are absolutely right NT's schedule is improving.  

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

You do realize that NT has not released it's oc schedule.   I would be very surprised if NT doesn't play a number of schools such as Maryland Eastern Shore or Angelo St. 

Nevada was 10-7 last year in the WAC and should be a great home game.  They return all their starters plus picked up some notable transfers.  Some early projections are predicted them in the top 25.   Maybe the best home game NT has had since the MVC days. 

I would not put UTA as a great home game, although it has been a great rivalry going back decades. 

I stated that the neutral site games were very impressive and they are much better than away games with no returns to Denton. 

NT's schedule obviously is benefitting from last year's NCAA tournament win.   

Overall based on what we know now, you are absolutely right NT's schedule is improving.  

Well considering there is roughly 4 spots left, I doubt the rest of the schedule is going to be filled with bad teams. Maybe 1-2 for balance.

Mac learned after 2018-19 that playing easy teams gets you nowhere during conference play.