NIL. What could possibly go wrong??

Can athletes enter into NIL agreements with boosters?

The NCAA does not have any rules that restrict boosters from paying athletes as long as those payments are not directly for their athletic performance or an inducement for recruiting purposes. Some new state laws address booster involvement in different ways, and some might need further interpretation before it's clear how involved boosters can be in paying athletes in those states.

BIGGEST F'ING JOKE IN THE WHOLE DEAL

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

Can athletes enter into NIL agreements with boosters?

The NCAA does not have any rules that restrict boosters from paying athletes as long as those payments are not directly for their athletic performance or an inducement for recruiting purposes. Some new state laws address booster involvement in different ways, and some might need further interpretation before it's clear how involved boosters can be in paying athletes in those states.

BIGGEST F'ING JOKE IN THE WHOLE DEAL

There is no way to police this policy.  The NCAA is a joke!

I mean good for the kids. The whole thing went really wrong with the creation of the BCS in the late 90s which was nothing more than a money grab. Ever since then, the money being spent went bonkers. It went from play for your school in your conference and if you win conference you go this bowl game, to, let's figure out how we can band together in money conferences and make as much money as we can, and then add conference championships to make more money all so we can have a "real" champion (BCS) of which we can make more money.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

I mean good for the kids. The whole thing went really wrong with the creation of the BCS in the late 90s which was nothing more than a money grab. Ever since then, the money being spent went bonkers. It went from play for your school in your conference and if you win conference you go this bowl game, to, let's figure out how we can band together in money conferences and make as much money as we can, and then add conference championships to make more money all so we can have a "real" champion (BCS) of which we can make more money.

Very true.  And let's be honest, coaches rising salaries is what cause this to happen so quickly.  You can't pay coaches millions of dollars and not pay the players who actually play the damn game and take the physical risks.  It was a ludicrous proposition from the start. 

The moment UNT tries to pay athletes is the moment the student body tries to get the whole department shut down. 

The NT Daily already attacked the spending on Apogee and the student referendum originally voted no to building it. 

I just don't see how this is gonna work for schools in CUSA who have very few rich boosters and an anti-athletics student body 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 3

I’ll mostly sit this one out but my one parting suggestion is to let this play out for a couple of years and get some sample to analyze what the effects are going to be. So many people want to Chicken Little this by giving a bunch of hypotheticals that we have no support on them actually playing out. They might, they might not. 

Let’s see some evidence of these things first. But this was always the right thing to do.

If we want to talk about extreme examples, let’s talk about the ones that actually did happen as a result of the NCAA not allowing these things. Like the NCAA nixing GoFundMe’s created by student athletes trying to raise money for other people. There are many examples of the NCAA stepping in and doing ridiculous things like this.

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Harry said:

Very true.  And let's be honest, coaches rising salaries is what cause this to happen so quickly.  You can't pay coaches millions of dollars and not pay the players who actually play the damn game and take the physical risks.  It was a ludicrous proposition from the start. 

I don’t know if I agree with paying players. That is what the scholarship is. How about stop scholarships and pay the players. They are then responsible for paying their own tuition and living expenses. How many of the players would spend all the money and “forget” to pay tuition. 
The value of a scholarship is huge…not sure how that gets lost. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I’ll mostly sit this one out but my one parting suggestion is to let this play out for a couple of years and get some sample to analyze what the effects are going to be. So many people want to Chicken Little this by giving a bunch of hypotheticals that we have no support on them actually playing out. They might, they might not. 

Let’s see some evidence of these things first. But this was always the right thing to do.

If we want to talk about extreme examples, let’s talk about the ones that actually did happen as a result of the NCAA not allowing these things. Like the NCAA nixing GoFundMe’s created by student athletes trying to raise money for other people. There are many examples of the NCAA stepping in and doing ridiculous things like this.

Example: SMU. This won’t work. 
5 years, College football will be corrupt to the bones. Players being paid to throw games

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

For sure, there's Chicken Little arguments like this:

37 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This opens the way for a group of schools to break away from the NCAA and form it's own Sports leagues. Will be interested in seeing if it's only for FB and BB.

But then there's To-Be-Expected things like boosters getting involved and overpaying athletes for their n/i/l in order to accrue/keep talent.

I guess we'll see if NT plays the game if we see Rubin Jones pop up as a spokesman for certain aloe vera products, and Dion Novil shows up in certain tax prep ads.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

For sure, there's Chicken Little arguments like this:

But then there's To-Be-Expected things like boosters getting involved and overpaying athletes for their n/i/l in order to accrue/keep talent.

I guess we'll see if NT plays the game if we see Rubin Jones pop up as a spokesman for certain aloe vera products, and Dion Novil shows up in certain tax prep ads.

I guess the Food Network can start paying Bryce when he appears on his Mom's show?

This could be a Gold mine for SMU as the boosters can now make their payments tax deductible 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I don’t know if I agree with paying players. That is what the scholarship is. How about stop scholarships and pay the players. They are then responsible for paying their own tuition and living expenses. How many of the players would spend all the money and “forget” to pay tuition. 
The value of a scholarship is huge…not sure how that gets lost. 

This is really dumb.   I don't think you're grasping what this is about.

Let's be honest, do you think a guy like Abou Ousmane is going to make more than $38,340 (out-of-state tuition/fees cost per NT's website) on his n/i/l?

Do you think the players who are getting money off their n/i/l won't get this in addition anymore if you yanked their scholarship and just paid them that money (now taxable) instead?  

The players' "Amateur" status remains in tact under this new rule.    Institutions directly paying athletes means they are no-longer "Amateur".

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I guess the Food Network can start paying Bryce when he appears on his Mom's show?

This could be a Gold mine for SMU as the boosters can now make their payments tax deductible 

Uh, sure!   Doubtful though.  He would have to demand it, and I just don't see him doing that, as it might jeopardize his mom's show.

And yes, SMU's ability/proclivity for paying athletes is very concerning.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is really dumb.   I don't think you're grasping what this is about.

Let's be honest, do you think a guy like Abou Ousmane is going to make more than $38,340 (out-of-state tuition/fees cost per NT's website) on his n/i/l?

Do you think the players who are getting money off their n/i/l won't get this in addition anymore if you yanked their scholarship and just paid them that money (now taxable) instead?  

The players' "Amateur" status remains in tact under this new rule.    Institutions directly paying athletes means they are no-longer "Amateur".

Well, when you start out by calling something dumb, you blow your credibility in any response. If you will note, I was responding to a statement of why not pay the players. not the NIL issue. 

on the NIL issue, it will be corrupt from day 1. Bet on it 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

There could be some upside potential as this shuffles people through different schools.

Example:

A. Gatorade sponsors some camps and ads for guys at Alabama, but only has so much funds to distribute. So the top 5 players there get some nice income, etc...

B. The next 5 players see more monetary gain else, for example maybe Hyundai decides to pick up that missed SMU market, so they jump ship and head to SMU

C. But those next 5 at SMU say they wouldn't be caught dead in a Hyundai (after all, that's where they store the hookers bodies), but that Peterbilt billboard sponsorship contract in Denton seems kinda nice, since that degree will only be worth driving a fork lift after mom and dad's trust fund dries up...

Point is, top schools will always get the best representation, but at some point the money supply runs out (in theory), and they go to the next best place to roost, and then the next, and the next to keep chasing that income stream.

It doesn't fix the disparity between programs, but it could put some high profile folks at schools that can "entice" them after higher schools run out of opportunities (not saying the schools are paying, but obviously Nike is more likely to sign an athlete from Clemson than, say, Southern Alabama)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Well, when you start out by calling something dumb, you blow your credibility in any response. If you will note, I was responding to a statement of why not pay the players. not the NIL issue. 

on the NIL issue, it will be corrupt from day 1. Bet on it 

Lol.   No it doesnt.   ...maybe for the guy who doesn't agree!

Did you not say this:
"How about stop scholarships and pay the players. They are then responsible for paying their own tuition and living expenses."
That scenario is not anywhere remotely the same as paying players for their n/i/l.  It's dumb.

We're in agreement on the corruption though.    Does NT join in?   Do we even have the boosters to do so?

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

my one parting suggestion is to let this play out for a couple of years and get some sample to analyze what the effects are going to be. So many people want to Chicken Little this by giving a bunch of hypotheticals that we have no support on them actually playing out.

Wait a sec, we are on the internet.

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Udomann said:

There could be some upside potential as this shuffles people through different schools.

Example:

A. Gatorade sponsors some camps and ads for guys at Alabama, but only has so much funds to distribute. So the top 5 players there get some nice income, etc...

B. The next 5 players see more monetary gain else, for example maybe Hyundai decides to pick up that missed SMU market, so they jump ship and head to SMU

C. But those next 5 at SMU say they wouldn't be caught dead in a Hyundai (after all, that's where they store the hookers bodies), but that Peterbilt billboard sponsorship contract in Denton seems kinda nice, since that degree will only be worth driving a fork lift after mom and dad's trust fund dries up...

Point is, top schools will always get the best representation, but at some point the money supply runs out (in theory), and they go to the next best place to roost, and then the next, and the next to keep chasing that income stream.

It doesn't fix the disparity between programs, but it could put some high profile folks at schools that can "entice" them after higher schools run out of opportunities (not saying the schools are paying, but obviously Nike is more likely to sign an athlete from Clemson than, say, Southern Alabama)

The problem here is that Peterbilt would need to find some kind of benefit in helping NT or paying for players' n/i/l.    To my knowledge, they don't even donate to the MGSF.   Why would they start now?

• Upvote 2

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

The problem here is that Peterbilt would need to find some kind of benefit in helping NT or paying for players' n/i/l.    To my knowledge, they don't even donate to the MGSF.   Why would they start now?

It was just an example. Pick any North Texas company that may want a slice of the pie. This is a business opportunity for them. In theory, you spend on advertising and get more income. If this NIL business model works, then companies will start using it. Which could result in some nice boosters to the school.

Think a couple years back, as it trickles down, someone could maybe have seen Mason Fine and said there's a potential sponsorship name there. Or Darden even now that he's drafted. We have a few marketable players, it could happen.

28 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Uh, sure!   Doubtful though.  He would have to demand it, and I just don't see him doing that, as it might jeopardize his mom's show.

And yes, SMU's ability/proclivity for paying athletes is very concerning.

A lot of people will be surprised when some of the big $$$ goes to players from Women's Golf/Tennis/Volleyball

• Skeptical Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

A lot of people will be surprised when some of the big $$$ goes to players from Women's Golf/Tennis/Volleyball

If whoever is giving the money sees that that player has a ton of social media followers... you may be right.

Sadly, I think our big fish just left the Mean Green pond.   #HopeisDope  #HopeisaSoonerThough

55 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

That's the patient, wait and see approach. But you and I know there is no way this can be good for UNT and its peers. For that matter, it's not good for a lot of programs. Programs like Wake, Indy, Duke, Arizona's, Vandy, BC, KU, and the rest of the other meddling "P5" programs in football will fall to the wayside to other sports. This will eventually make way to 30-40 programs being legitimate semi-pro programs all the while everyone else just sits back and watches the rich get filthy rich. Collegiate sports will eventually be restored in some fashion. My guess, the rich programs will get broken off by leaving the umbrella of the NCAA.