So what happens to sites like Rivals, 247 and others?

They have long profited from publishing player likeness and information, pictures and interviews.  The players were willing to share in that in the past to promote themselves.  With the new rules I don't see that happening any longer.   I get that they can claim to be reporting news and information, but shouldn't they now have to share in their profits since they depend on the player likeness and players themselves for their profits?  Don't the players deserve to make money from their recruiting stories that these companies charge for?  Along with that won't we see a player start to charge a fee for access to their social media including twitter and facebook? Thoughts?

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 3

28 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

They have long profited from publishing player likeness and information, pictures and interviews.  The players were willing to share in that in the past to promote themselves.  With the new rules I don't see that happening any longer.   I get that they can claim to be reporting news and information, but shouldn't they now have to share in their profits since they depend on the player likeness and players themselves for their profits?  Don't the players deserve to make money from their recruiting stories that these companies charge for?  Along with that won't we see a player start to charge a fee for access to their social media including twitter and facebook? Thoughts?

I think you begin to see players circumvent them entirely.  Why give an interview to Rivals after participating in a camp when you can vlog it on your own platform?  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

So, through this line of thinking, how does that effect ESPN, Fox Sports, any major network covering games, Sport Illustrated, newspapers writing articles about the games that includes pictures from the games, etc....

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The recruiting sites are for high schoolers though.   If they're still in high school, why would the NCAA have any governance over them?

Won't the fact that NCAA is no longer involved bleed down to the high schools as well? And these sites are not just for high schoolers they do a lot of content with the college players and coaches as well.  And much of the recruiting of high school players is being done by college players. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The recruiting sites are for high schoolers though.   If they're still in high school, why would the NCAA have any governance over them?

Conversely it could affect their eligibility to get a scholarship. 

• Upvote 2

I feel like y’all are overreacting, but at the same time it could happen.

Most athletes won’t be having big roles in the NIL stuff, mainly at the G5 level. The top 1% might, but the rest won’t have as much impact. 

The recruiting websites are for high school kids mainly, and those kids aren’t allowed to do any of this stuff. I also think players aren’t going to be so greedy like y’all think. Maybe the top of the top in the nation might, but I don’t see a whole lot changing in that category.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Most athletes won’t be having big roles in the NIL stuff, mainly at the G5 level. The top 1% might, but the rest won’t have as much impact. 

The recruiting websites are for high school kids mainly, and those kids aren’t allowed to do any of this stuff. I also think players aren’t going to be so greedy like y’all think. Maybe the top of the top in the nation might, but I don’t see a whole lot changing in that category.

I think you will see a long line of LaVar Ball types.   Imagine what happens when a kid like Trevor Lawrence has a dad in the stands hawking t-shirts, autograph sessions, and bobble heads as part of his "brand". 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

What could go wrong when they put the "Me" front and center 😈

I remember people saying how the portal was going to be the answer ........

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

I think you will see a long line of LaVar Ball types.   Imagine what happens when a kid like Trevor Lawrence has a dad in the stands hawking t-shirts, autograph sessions, and bobble heads as part of his "brand". 

Oh no… I’ve been compared to LaVar Ball. I must change all my ways of thinking.

In all seriousness, you’re correct. I think parents will be more money hungry than players.

I saw UCF’s QB, Dillon Gabriel, say he didn’t want to charge for stuff like autographs to the kids.

• Upvote 1

Who knows where this will end.   How about sports mags and sports sites like this, are they exempt; or do they also have to pay to have pictures of the players?

This experiment is ripe for all kinds of abuse.  This could actually backfire, and interest in college sports could plummet.

What about so called non-revenue sports? 

Is the player's team exempt, or do they have pay an athlete ever time they use an image even if they are on full scholarship?  

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

So, through this line of thinking, how does that effect ESPN, Fox Sports, any major network covering games, Sport Illustrated, newspapers writing articles about the games that includes pictures from the games, etc....

Do the networks have to play professionals for the same? No. They’ve got contracts with the leagues just like in college football. You guys are way overthinking this.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Do the networks have to play professionals for the same? No. They’ve got contracts with the leagues just like in college football. You guys are way overthinking this.

Does the Dallas Morning News pay a player like Prescott when they use a picture of them from the game in their article?  No, which was my original point. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

On 7/1/2021 at 11:53 AM, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Will shows like “ College Game Day” have to pay to do stories, or even show highlight plays in the opening??

My thinking would be that these stories would give them exposure to pick up various sponsorships that would further increase their brand exposure. 

14 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Does the Dallas Morning News pay a player like Prescott when they use a picture of them from the game in their article?  No, which was my original point. 

Not sure what Pros under contract are due under this rule.

However, what the DMN did before the ruling is irrelevant.   The question is what they have to do now.

I’m-a  Rambling Sorta’ Man...(but at age 70 I now have an excuse)🤭

I think the NCAA will soon need a Jesus-like figure to blitz their Indianapolis headquarters (Temple)🙄 & throw out all the money-changers.
••• I just can’t see any of this money-grab going in a positive direction (especially after some schools🟥🟦who never had a problem financing new recruits in the past milk it for all its worth).I think many on GMG are feeling the same on all this.  Countless NCAA FBS  athletic administrators, too, but they just can’t say it. (I think most of that group had hoped this can of worms had stayed closed).

Still the destruction of what has actually worked in making the USA the envy of the world continues (at least for the moment).  You know, though, for such a bad country I see no one busting their butts trying to leave U.S. borders for failed 3’rd rate countries.  All while tens of thousands of others are daily breaking our laws non-stop to get here.  Guess we’ll all eventually have to get moonlighting jobs to help educate, medicate, finance & feed them.  Americans will still (not knowingly) stand by & watch any human being starve no matter how they got here because—it is the American thing to do.  

Through it all, many of we taxpayers are still damn proud to be an American because we already know what the alternative looks & acts like. 🇺🇸🦅Have A Happy 4’th ! 🎺🎺

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen