College Athletes Eligible To Benefit Off Of Name/Image/Likeness

BillySee58

34 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Let the bidding officially begin. Like many things started with good intentions I am afraid this will open the door to buying players and players bidding out their services. This could greatly benefit a school like SMU.

They better go talk to Craig for insight 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/miami/Article/Miami-stars-DEriq-King-Bubba-Bolden-land-the-first-reported-big-money-NIL-deals-from-College-Hunks-Hauling-Junk-167258655/Amp/

Schultz reports that the deal will net King and Bolden each with $20k. 

Not a bad chunk of change for a college kid...

Edited by TheColonyEagle

2 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I (admittedly) haven’t done much reading on reactions to this new policy, but I’m in the group that thinks it is simultaneously the right thing to do, and also severely damages the spirit of college sports. 

Right thing for the players and wrong thing for College Sports at the same time. If possible, the split between P5 and G5 (and even the lower P5s) will grow even wider. I believe this will add another piece to a selected group of P5 teams eventually splitting off to form their on organization. Also, here are 2 more predictions/questions -

1 - How long until the first player gets into problem with taxes and then sues the University for not "doing their job" and making sure he/she knew everything they needed to do?

2 - How long until the first Title 9 lawsuit when it ends up being P5 male players making the big bucks?

Would rather see Football do like BB and have someone start paid leagues for those players who do not want to go to college.

Disagree all you want but when this completely changes the landscape, and not for the good, lets discuss again (remember those who thought the transfer portal would be good - now there are wholescale movements and new levels of tampering). 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Ultimately what I think will happen with all of this is that top tier athletes will be the only ones who end up with long term deals worth anything significant. I think most businesses are ultimately going to realize they aren't seeing the return the market is suggesting, and they will back off. I also believe most boosters are not going to divert tax-deductible dollars from schools to pay athletes, leaving much of the college athletics model as business as usual.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Ultimately what I think will happen with all of this is that top tier athletes will be the only ones who end up with long term deals worth anything significant. I think most businesses are ultimately going to realize they aren't seeing the return the market is suggesting, and they will back off. I also believe most boosters are not going to divert tax-deductible dollars from schools to pay athletes, leaving much of the college athletics model as business as usual.

Most businesses could not care less about the advertising value of a likeness.   It will be just a way to funnel money to recruits to entice them to sign and stay at the universities they support.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Most businesses could not care less about the advertising value of a likeness.   It will be just a way to funnel money to recruits to entice them to sign and stay at the universities they support.   

I’ve lived long enough to see the suicidal tendencies of 2 institutions I formerly respected:  (1) the U.S. govt. & (2) the NCAA. Both are now becoming as useful as teats on a boar hog. 

In fact, all happening now makes me want to puke—almost like “Debbie do anything.”  ➡️Start video at  1:00 on the timeline.•••Video is R-rated (Keep Lisinopril close by).

🗣💫Happy 4’th of July!
....................Don’t over-do it!...................

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Wonder how this will impact players coming to Rudys to talk in front of 11 fans on the radio. 

pay me principal skinner GIF

nah just kidding. I don’t think any UNT football player has enough juice to want compensation for their time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Withers940 said:

Will UNT athletes be posting in the Classified Section of the DRC looking for Sponsorships now?

Yes. Eighteen year olds are huge consumers and utilizers of newspapers. It’s why the print news model is thriving! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1

13 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I’ve lived long enough to see the suicidal tendencies of 2 institutions I formerly respected:  (1) the U.S. govt. & (2) the NCAA. Both are now becoming as useful as teats on a boar hog. 

In fact, all happening now makes me want to puke—almost like “Debbie do anything.”  ➡️Start video at  1:00 on the timeline.•••Video is R-rated (Keep Lisinopril close by).

🗣💫Happy 4’th of July!
....................Don’t over-do it!...................

❇️🦅❇️

My finance professor at UNT use to say going law school was as useful as tits on a boar hog. Thanks for the laugh.

• Haha 1