Athlon ranks UNT 112th in 2021

meangreen11

112. North Texas

After winning 18 games from 2017-18, the Mean Green have slipped to an 8-14 record over the last two years. Scoring points won’t be a problem for coach Seth Littrell’s team in ’21. However, the defense has to show marked improvement to get back to a bowl.

Offensive Strength: The Mean Green led Conference USA in scoring (34.4 ppg), yards per play (6.6), and most gains of 40-plus yards (19) last season. Littrell has to sort out an intriguing quarterback battle between Austin Aune and former North Carolina signal-caller Jace Ruder, but this unit should be explosive once again. DeAndre Torrey and Oscar Adaway III lead a strong backfield, and four starters return from one of the top lines in the league. A healthy Jyaire Shorter at receiver will help replace the production left behind by Jaelon Darden.

Offensive Concern: Can Aune or Ruder claim the job and play with enough consistency to keep the offense on track all year? Shorter’s return is huge, but North Texas needs a couple of other playmakers to emerge at receiver. The offense has to do a better job at managing turnovers after losing 15 in 2020.

Defensive Strength: Littrell’s hire of veteran coordinator Phil Bennett was a strong move to get a struggling defense pointed in the right direction. Tackle Dion Novil and linebackers Tyreke Davis and KD Davis are three key players among nine returning defensive starters for North Texas in 2021.

Defensive Concern: This unit allowed a whopping 42.8 points a game and surrendered 6.94 yards per play last season. Even with a new play-caller and help through the transfer portal, major improvement might be a year away.

read more:  https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-top-130-team-rankings-2021

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 3

Last years team “without” this Falls  portals, transfers & HS true frosh might have finished 112 or worse, but other than Phil Steele & (maybe) DCTF, how many of all the other Summer college FB magazines are going to have the slightest clue as to what North Texas will do if none of them incorporated all the new faces into this 2021 team?  

Tough summer for many Summer College FB magazines, too.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 7

Innocent until proven guilty. Like above, with last years team + player loses (and this years unknowns in transfers/fresh), we have nothing to base improvement off of...

Except the sheer power of the Murphy twins this year should net us a nice pre-season boost. Going to be monsters on that field with a proper coordinator.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

Defensive Concern: This unit allowed a whopping 42.8 points a game and surrendered 6.94 yards per play last season. Even with a new play-caller and help through the transfer portal, major improvement might be a year away.

My other concern (and I don't know if this was talked about on here) was that 5-6 of the games we played last year the opposing team had their best offensive performance of the season, with many of those performances in our house. I do not want to stomach that again this year. 

1 hour ago, Udomann said:

Except the sheer power of the Murphy twins this year should net us a nice pre-season boost. Going to be monsters on that field with a proper coordinator.

Music to my ears! 

• Upvote 5

The defense WILL improve because of everything I saw Bennett teaching and implying during the spring convinced me. They should be much faster and overall bigger. With that being said, we’re playing catch-up with others (SMU UAB Liberty Marshall) because they started doing this years ago. The pieces are here, now time to finish off the development stage and let it fly for the fall!

I do think the Murphy twins will be a factor, but it’s the first time in years we’ve actually had depth on defense. First snap starters will probably mean nothing.

For example, look at the linebackers. Both Davis’ return, Nixon, Wood, Brown, Howell, Kropp (who I’m personally excited for, he’s freaking massive) and a few others. Absolutely loaded in talent, and all of the guys in the 2 deep could start at any cusa school. They might be a little bit young once you go down the chart, but so much raw talent that hasn’t been exploited in the correct way.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, meangreen11 said:

I thought we heard he was moving to defensive end?  All the linebackers you list are very small.  We need more size against teams like SMU that have big backs.

I think you’re right on Kropp. The roster doesn’t list him as DE, but he might be one of those guys

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Cougar King said:

112th?! Even I can admit that's totally outrageous....

It should be around 150 behind the FCS Top 25.

I respect a good bit of fun bait and antagonizing, but this is low effort even for you. Try harder next time, you have a reputation to maintain!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

On 6/26/2021 at 10:34 PM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

The defense WILL improve because of everything I saw Bennett teaching and implying during the spring convinced me. They should be much faster and overall bigger. With that being said, we’re playing catch-up with others (SMU UAB Liberty Marshall) because they started doing this years ago. The pieces are here, now time to finish off the development stage and let it fly for the fall!

I do think the Murphy twins will be a factor, but it’s the first time in years we’ve actually had depth on defense. First snap starters will probably mean nothing.

For example, look at the linebackers. Both Davis’ return, Nixon, Wood, Brown, Howell, Kropp (who I’m personally excited for, he’s freaking massive) and a few others. Absolutely loaded in talent, and all of the guys in the 2 deep could start at any cusa school. They might be a little bit young once you go down the chart, but so much raw talent that hasn’t been exploited in the correct way.

I think the Murphy Twins might be getting overlooked by those outside the Green Family. I am hoping they surprise everyone this year. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/27/2021 at 10:42 PM, Cougar King said:

112th?! Even I can admit that's totally outrageous....

It should be around 150 behind the FCS Top 25.

Your posts have begun to slowly wear on me & turn me into an “Ex” Coog fan quite frankly (& don’t call me Frank).  To be honest, I never quite understood your disdain for North Texas since you’re constantly squatting at our GMG house.  Are you so bored as to constantly be here?  Are any of your family concerned about any of this?  If I can get you on UNT alum Dr. Phil’s TV Show will you go or....are you more a Jerry Springer sorta’ guy; you know—“Great Moments In White Trash?”  

OK, then tell us:  Is it the color green or the shade of green that UNT uses?🤢............Maybe the fact that we already had fabulous Apogee built, up & running before someone at UH accidentally found an old erector set in the their attic, got all inspired, then started working on blueprints for a heavy-in-metal UH stadium to replace venerable Jeppesen/Robertson Stadium. *Hellsbells! My dad & I once watched George Blanda, Charlie Hennigan, Charlie Tolar & the Houston Oilers there & that stadium was as old as ancient Atlantis even then!🥴

I like UH’s present stadium seating size alright but not too crazy about it’s heavy metal undergirding (especially during a lightening storm). AndtheTEDEC’antidisestablishmentarianism Stadium announcer says:  🗣“From the Weather Channel, Storm with extraordinary lightening is  coming!  Everyone ‘under’ the stadium!”🌨⛈🥶😩

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

On 6/28/2021 at 11:12 AM, Udomann said:

I respect a good bit of fun bait and antagonizing, but this is low effort even for you. Try harder next time, you have a reputation to maintain!

Oh come on, it's the off season! I don't have much to work with! Cut me some slack! 

5 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Your posts have begun to slowly wear on me & turn me into an “Ex” Coog fan quite frankly (& don’t call me Frank).  To be honest, I never quite understood your disdain for North Texas since you’re constantly squatting at our GMG house.  Are you so bored as to constantly be here?  Are any of your family concerned about any of this?  If I can get you on UNT alum Dr. Phil’s TV Show will you go or....are you more a Jerry Springer sorta’ guy; you know—“Great Moments In White Trash?”  

OK, then tell us:  Is it the color green or the shade of green that UNT uses?🤢............Maybe the fact that we already had fabulous Apogee built, up & running before someone at UH accidentally found an old erector set in the their attic, got all inspired, then started working on blueprints for a heavy-in-metal UH stadium to replace venerable Jeppesen/Robertson Stadium. *Hellsbells! My dad & I once watched George Blanda, Charlie Hennigan, Charlie Tolar & the Houston Oilers there & that stadium was as old as ancient Atlantis even then!🥴

I like UH’s present stadium seating size alright but not too crazy about it’s heavy metal undergirding (especially during a lightening storm). AndtheTEDEC’antidisestablishmentarianism Stadium announcer says:  🗣“From the Weather Channel, Storm with extraordinary lightening is  coming!  Everyone ‘under’ the stadium!”🌨⛈🥶😩

❇️🦅❇️

I already mentioned this a few times before. I don't hate UNT, I've never hated UNT. Out of all the boards I've trolled on, NONE OF THEM get as riled up as this one does whenever I post something.

I didn't really read that essay you posted, those colorful emojis and stuff hurt my eyes.

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

You mom really should start to hire a babysitter when she goes to working at night.  Surely she can ask her pimp for some extra work to cover the additional cost.

That's no way to talk about @PlummMeanGreen's mother! Shame on you! Show some respect.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

You mom really should start to hire a babysitter when she goes to working at night.  Surely she can ask her pimp for some extra work to cover the additional cost.

And please, have her buy a patch for you inflatable "girlfriend" so you have someone to talk to

• Haha 1