Ranking Every College Football Stadium in Texas

am99

Found this article from about a year ago on an A&M website ranking every college stadium in Texas. 32 of them. Apogee is ranked #9.

Personally, I think the Sun Bowl is ranked too high and Rice Stadium too low. Other than that, I feel like the list is pretty accurate. 

https://www.goodbullhunting.com/2020/7/23/21334459/ranking-every-college-football-stadium-in-texas-list

• Thanks 2

Not a fan of the University of Houston's erector set.  Also, outside of the setting, the Sun Bowl has the same issue that they criticized TX Tech, upper seats are a mile from the action.  I also think smuT is ranked too high.  I would rank them as follows:

Kyle Field

Amon Carter

UT

Baylor 

Apogee

Texas St.

Houston

smuT

Rice

UTEP

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

I wonder if the author of yet another stadium poll had been a UNT alum if Apogee Stadium would have ranked higher?🙄😊
One thing about it, Apogee is much prettier when it’s near capacity. •••Well into the UH game when the sky got darker, the Wing Zone almost filled up.

048568E0-5C8D-46CC-BCFB-51C0F468FAFD.jpeg.bae31a20188edc4709c5974fe3a4ddcc.jpeg

21485779-B544-4C3B-8D6E-A610784E9566.jpeg.b9cc4963269a730e77d625e07fc0539f.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 1

Apogee is greatness--don't care if anyone else thinks their's is better, either. None of them had to endure decades of football games played in a toilet of a stadium, with the best seats being 33 yards away from the field and directly behind the team in front of you.  

Fouts to Apogee was going from a skateboard to a Lamborghini...

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

Apogee is greatness--don't care if anyone else thinks their's is better, either. None of them had to endure decades of football games played in a toilet of a stadium, with the best seats being 33 yards away from the field and directly behind the team in front of you.  

Amen, bro’!  Now you’re preachin’ to the choir, Amen corner & all the deacon’izers 😆

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Not a fan of the University of Houston's erector set.  Also, outside of the setting, the Sun Bowl has the same issue that they criticized TX Tech, upper seats are a mile from the action.  I also think smuT is ranked too high.  I would rank them as follows:

Kyle Field

Amon Carter

UT

Baylor 

Apogee

Texas St.

smuT

Houston

UTEP

Texas State is not above all those others. Looks like an oversized high school stadium with nothing unique about it. At the very bottom of the FBS stadiums in Texas besides Rice possibly. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

7 hours ago, am99 said:

Texas State is not above all those others. Looks like an oversized high school stadium with nothing unique about it. At the very bottom of the FBS stadiums in Texas besides Rice possibly. 

Opinions.  We all have them.

23 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I agree 100%. We are fortunate that we had someone in charge that would not take NO for an answer or we would not have this Stadium today!!!!

23 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Only if that was one of those old metal wheeled skateboards that would launch you should you hit a piece of gravel.  Probably missing one of those metal wheels at that.

My first sk8 board looked like this, except it had metal  wheels...,"sidewalk surfing" was fun | Vintage skateboards, Original  skateboards, Skateboard

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Rice Stadium is by far the worst in Texas and one of the worst in D1… seats are literally rusting and not stable. Only good thing was free parking

YOY Rice's stadium looks noticeably worse each time I'm there.  They're going to get into an Legion Field situation with the upper decks that will eventually get condemned due to structural issues.  The leading edges of the concrete forming the upper decks has deteriorated to show rebar in a number of spots.  Once that rebar starts rusting it will cause yards and yards of concrete to deteriorate in a very unsafe way. 

Houston/Gulf Coast weather/humidity is no joke and will destroy structures even on a sunny day.  I'm shocked all the bright minds at Texas' "Harvard of the South" don't remember that.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

YOY Rice's stadium looks noticeably worse each time I'm there.  They're going to get into an Legion Field situation with the upper decks that will eventually get condemned due to structural issues.  The leading edges of the concrete forming the upper decks has deteriorated to show rebar in a number of spots.  Once that rebar starts rusting it will cause yards and yards of concrete to deteriorate in a very unsafe way. 

Houston/Gulf Coast weather/humidity is no joke and will destroy structures even on a sunny day.  I'm shocked all the bright minds at Texas' "Harvard of the South" don't remember that.

“It’s a historical site, hosted a super bowl and a presidential speech”

Yet you can’t sit in the first 2 rows because it’s basically ground level with the players, the restrooms look like they haven’t been touched since 1960, and there are 3 concession stands that’s it.

Its ridiculous they won’t tear it down because I doubt you could remodel it without putting in millions and millions of dollars to get it structurally sound.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

“It’s a historical site, hosted a super bowl and a presidential speech”

Yet you can’t sit in the first 2 rows because it’s basically ground level with the players, the restrooms look like they haven’t been touched since 1960, and there are 3 concession stands that’s it.

Its ridiculous they won’t tear it down because I doubt you could remodel it without putting in millions and millions of dollars to get it structurally sound.

I have a special place in my heart for Rice Stadium.  I saw my first college football game there.  Jess Neely (in his brown 3 piece suit (& fedora) was the Owls Coach.  His opponent that day was Baylor who was coached by John Bridgers. 
That day it was the Bear’s Don Trull & All American Lawrence “don’t call me Larry” Elkins who was his receiver.  Maybe 20,000 in the stands that day.  

I can still see the Rice MOB marching under the press box stands to find their place inside the stadium, but that aroma of cigar & pipe smoke still resonates with me today.  I loved that smell.  It reminded me of college football.
I can still see many fans from both schools  wearing their Stetsons.  It was a complete different era than today & in some ways—I miss it.  
Yes, JFKennedy at Rice Stadium proclaimed to the world that America would get to the moon before the end of the 60’s & by God--we did.  America had big dreamers in that day.  We should get back to some of those day as soon as we can, other parts of it—not.

***UH even used Rice Stadium for some home games before the Astrodome opened in 1965.  

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen