Andre Shaw - New Director of BBall Ops

The 2021 Conference USA champion North Texas men's basketball team has added Andre Shaw to its staff as the Director of Basketball Operations.

A well-respected player developmental coach, Shaw joins the Mean Green with nearly 10 years of coaching experience at the Division II and junior college level. In his current role with UNT, Shaw will be in charge of the the day-to-day operations of the champion program.

Shaw made stops at Midwestern State, Eastern New Mexico and Collin College prior to coming to Denton.

"I am beyond excited to join such a championship caliber program," Shaw said. "The University of North Texas has a rich tradition of winning and has had much success. My family and I are looking forward to this opportunity. We are so grateful to have been welcomed and are thrilled to be a part of the Mean Green family. I would like to thank coach Grant McCasland, and the men's staff for welcoming me with open arms, as well as the rest of the athletic administration. Lastly, I greatly appreciate everyone who has helped me throughout my journey. I've been able to grow throughout my career, because of coaches like Nelson Haggerty and others. My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to coach Haggerty's family and loved ones. I am eager to work with this team and help build in the success of the program."

Shaw coached under Haggerty for five seasons at Midwestern State. The Mustangs won more than 20 games in three of those five seasons. He worked as a position coach at MSU and mentored a pair of first-team all-conference guards in Monzaigo Williams and Bretson McNeal.

A New York City native and 2013 graduate from Western New England, Shaw has been instrumental to his teams' success over the years. During his seven seasons coaching in the Lone Star Conference, Shaw guided and recruited numerous all-league performers and was critical to multiple conference championships and a NCAA DII regional championship game appearance during that span.

At Eastern New Mexico, Shaw was promoted to Associate Head Coach after in his first season when the Greyhounds saw significant improvement under his tutelage. ENMU had its best finish in conference play in over four years and the first winning record in league play in nearly 10 years.

Shaw was a standout guard at Western New England. He scored 1,143 points in three seasons and averaged 15.0 points per game during his career.

LINK:

https://www.bcsnn.com/basketball/607-north-texas-adds-andre-shaw-to-the-mean-green-men-s-basketball-staff

• Upvote 2

Shaw is taking over for Nelson Haggerty after his passing in April...

Nelson Haggerty, The University of North Texas men's basketball director of strategy and operations, died Friday morning in a single-car crash, according to Mean Green Sports. Haggerty was 47 years old.

Source: https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/university-of-north-texas-mens-basketball-director-killed-in-single-car-crash/2608025/

As for the role...

Description:    Under direct supervision of the Head Basketball Coach, the Director of Basketball Operations is responsible for coordinating all aspects of basketball operations for the University of North Texas basketball team.

Source: https://hoopdirt.com/job/director-of-basketball-operations-university-of-north-texas-full-time/

Couldn't find much on Shaw but I very much trust both Wren and McCasland and their extensive connections in the CBB coaching community.

Edited by jdennis82
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Maybe BCSNN is copyright-worry-free.

That article you reference is a press release from the UNT SID:

https://meangreensports.com/news/2021/6/23/mens-basketball-adds-andre-shaw-to-staff.aspx

Press releases from the SID are fair game to be posted.

We've updated the board policy to clarify.  GMG

• Harry locked this topic