State of Texas Power Poll

NT93

10 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Ok, this is funny that Texas is ranked that low and all, but there Is no way they wouldn’t kill UTSA…

I haven't read DCTF in a while, but if I'm remembering correctly from previous years, these "Power" polls are relative to each team's conference.  In other words, they aren't necessarily suggesting that higher ranked teams would be favored against lower ranked teams, but are just saying that those teams will be more dominant in their own conferences than the teams below them. 

Regardless, they are clearly indicating that they expect UTSA to be light years ahead of us this year--and they are probably right...

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Maybe I'm swinging a miss here, but I remember years where you could have said something similar about us and preseason predictions would still not give us the time of day.

Mason's SOPH and JR years, we had pretty good runs, but got completely blasted in the big games/bowls
Going into 2003, does anyone remember where these predictions put us? We won the last 7 games of the season, including our bowl win over CINCI.

so, immediate follow up thoughts:
1) Not sure whether to be shocked at some kind of special love for UTSA, or how low they put UT.  The people in Austin must be livid
2) Makes me re-consider how much stock these guys put in big games/bowls.  Re-consider as in, maybe I have been underestimating the stock.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greendylan said:

I haven't read DCTF in a while, but if I'm remembering correctly from previous years, these "Power" polls are relative to each team's conference.  In other words, they aren't necessarily suggesting that higher ranked teams would be favored against lower ranked teams, but are just saying that those teams will be more dominant in their own conferences than the teams below them. 

Regardless, they are clearly indicating that they expect UTSA to be light years ahead of us this year--and they are probably right...

UTSA seems like they're where we were in Year 2 or 3 of SL's tenure. Traylor came in and got all of the talent that Wilson recruited there, but actually coached it up, which their version of Tony Benford couldn't do. They probably will be good again this year, but the key will be when they start losing coordinators or the head coach and also what they do when that talent leaves. As we have seen, when it goes down, it goes fast--just as it did for UTSA in 2016. 

That said, Traylor has brought a lot of excitement there and he does appear to look like a guy who can build something. He may just be a SL starter kit, too. But they have the right mix of HFC, OC/DC, and QB. Like we have seen, when you have that right, you can have seasons where you win 8+ games. 

I never imagined that UTSA would pass us by, especially after we donkey-punched them here 42-3 in 2019. But they absolutely murdered us last year in San Antonio and I doubt they are falling backwards to us over the next couple of years. Its imperative that we stay ahead of Rice and UTEP this season or else we are truly looking at a massive overhaul to this place. As always, it'll come down to spending money--how many losses here do we have to suffer to have the university write the check to buyout SL and staff--because that is probably more than a $3 million buyout ($2.6 million to SL and whatever other buyouts of any other assistants)...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Well, I'm sure you said the same thing about us still being equal with them from 2016-2019 when we beat the $hit out of them...

Right.  When we beat the shit out of Baylor, did we pass them by?

Roster turnover.  Maybe a coach that has an uptick in recruiting.  We beat UTSA for 3 years, now they're beating us for a few years.  Frustrating, but there's a bigger picture.

When people say "passed us by" I think conference shifts.  Massive budget differences due to P5 vs. G5 affiliations.  I guess I'm a little more conservative when using that cliche.

IMO, the two programs are still swimming in the same stream.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

UTSA seems like they're where we were in Year 2 or 3 of SL's tenure. Traylor came in and got all of the talent that Wilson recruited there, but actually coached it up, which their version of Tony Benford couldn't do.

I saw Traylor as one of the biggest misses in head coach hires ever... But they managed to find a diamond in that coal (well, so far)

On the other hand, we bought a factory diamond... Paid for a blood diamond... And got a cubic zirconia

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, Udomann said:

I saw Traylor as one of the biggest misses in head coach hires ever... But they managed to find a diamond in that coal (well, so far)

On the other hand, we bought a factory diamond... Paid for a blood diamond... And got a cubic zirconia

The good news is that SL does get the chance to still prove he’s a diamond, not CZ…but he’s getting precariously close to running out of time, which can easily be over by the end of the 2021 year if the university deems it necessary to move forward.

• Upvote 2