Darrell Dickey update

meangreen11

39 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I remember going into that game expecting to get mopped off the field.

That Blue Raider offense was 7-0 (maybes 6-0) averaging something like 7+ yards PER SNAP.  They had a TE who was nearly 6'10".

DD's game plan included on onside kick after we were up 14-0. It was almost like the guy could actually win if he just put his heart into it. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
i can't spell
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Surprised no one has brought up the TCU game in Ft Worth, where Dickey literally just ran the ball three times and punted the entire game. We ran a fake Punt and got into FG range for our only points of the day. In the 4th quarter and entire section of green at Amon Carter Stadium started chanting “Throw the ball, throw the ball…” and DD just kept handing off the ball. Now, you might think we got killed that game. In the late part of the third quarter, against a TCU team with Ladainian Tomlinson, we were losing 13-3. We lost 27-3. 

It was pure give up and was all about just collecting the check and not getting hurt.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Pissed 2

7 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Surprised no one has brought up the TCU game in Ft Worth, where Dickey literally just ran the ball three times and punted the entire game. We ran a fake Punt and got into FG range for our only points of the day. In the 4th quarter and entire section of green at Amon Carter Stadium started chanting “Throw the ball, throw the ball…” and DD just kept handing off the ball. 
It  was pure give up and was all about just collecting the check and not getting hurt.

“He loved us very much.” (Forest Gump?)

At this hotter than hell afternoon game I sat by Gray Eagle & Silver Eagle & I think the 3 of us even joined in on the “throw the ball” chant.  It was a classic Mean Green Moment for all.

In all actuality, I always thought (that DD thought) that the forward pass was a trick play.😌🙃

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2021 at 5:31 PM, Coffee and TV said:

I was at the Golden Triangle Mall back in the day and the players all came in through an entrance to the Country Buffet the night before a game. As I left the mall Dickey just gave me a cold stare while he dragged a cig. I was a critic of his sure, but I was never quite sure if he was mistaking me for someone else or if that was just his RBF. 

That mall has gone to shit now😂 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

It was nothing to tip your hat to in 1999, either.  I wonder if it's a graveyard of a mall location.

You're in Denton! You go to school and have a party town.  If you want to go shopping, you have the entire metroplex.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

That mall has been shit for 20 plus years. I remember working at a store in 2008, and the roof was leaking. It caused a small electrical fire, and scared all of our customers.

Another time, cops came because my manager found a clip in a dressing room. 

One time we chased shoplifters out of the mall, the security guard fell on his ass running. They got away and Denton PD wouldn’t do anything because it was just a few shirts lol.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Travis said:

The simplest fact is that no one else has wanted him as an HC. I think that is telling. 

VERY telling. Some folks choose to ignore that fact. Gary Deloach got hired away, why not DD? Because they all knew his accomplishments were hollow.

Matt Simon won the southland in year 1 and won as many games in the Big West in 2 years as Dickey did in 3 so yes, I absolutely believe Simon could’ve won 4 straight Sun Belt championships. The first 4 years of the Sun Belt might as well have been the Southland. Hell, I bet Todd Dodge could’ve won 5 games in that early Sun Belt. If Dickey was even above average, the bigger fish would’ve noticed…..they didn’t.

Y’all also want to deflect about him losing to power teams and that his schedule was too hard. Ok, I’ll let you go with that argument, but on the flip side, in NINE seasons, how many quality wins did he have? What were those teams’ records?

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

7 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

VERY telling. Some folks choose to ignore that fact. Gary Deloach got hired away, why not DD? Because they all knew his accomplishments were hollow.

Matt Simon won the southland in year 1 and won as many games in the Big West in 2 years as Dickey did in 3 so yes, I absolutely believe Simon could’ve won 4 straight Sun Belt championships. The first 4 years of the Sun Belt might as well have been the Southland. Hell, I bet Todd Dodge could’ve won 5 games in that early Sun Belt.  If Dickey was even above average, the bigger fish would’ve noticed…..they didn’t.

Y’all also want to deflect about him losing to power teams and that his schedule was too hard. Ok, I’ll let you go with that argument, but on the flip side, in NINE seasons, how many quality wins did he have? What were those teams’ records?

You were almost credible until the bolded part.  Todd Dodge had a hard time winning 5 Spring games.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 2

On 6/25/2021 at 5:48 PM, Coffee and TV said:

This was the most maddening part of the DD years. He didn't even try to beat some of these teams.  His game plan was no injuries, collect the check and hope the bus doesn't break down on our way home.  We had the teams to beat a few.

He as much as admitted it in his pre-game comments at the 2006 Texas game. Looking over at our new president (Gretchen Bataille) he said " When President Bataille looks up at the final score tomorrow, I hope she remembers how much money they will be paying us". If I hadn't already bought my ticket, and paid for my hotel stay, I would have gotten in my car and driven home that evening.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 5

10 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

You were almost credible until the bolded part.  Todd Dodge had a hard time winning 5 Spring games.  

I get your point but once FAU and Troy showed up, Dickey did only minimally better than Dodge did.

Heck, I often wonder if things would’ve turned out differently for old Todge  if we had pulled out the double OT win in the monsoon against Frank Solich’s Ohio Bobcats. Maybe if Riley doesn’t go down and Tune doesn’t throw that pick, maybe we are on a roll. That game was a gut punch to the players and fans alike. The weather, the outcome, it took a major toll on everyone.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I get your point but once FAU and Troy showed up, Dickey did only minimally better than Dodge did.

Heck, I often wonder if things would’ve turned out differently for old Todge  if we had pulled out the double OT win in the monsoon against Frank Solich’s Ohio Bobcats. Maybe if Riley doesn’t go down and Tune doesn’t throw that pick, maybe we are on a roll. That game was a gut punch to the players and fans alike. The weather, the outcome, it took a major toll on everyone.

Maybe, but I HIGHLY doubt it.  I wonder if people forget how epically bad he was as a college coach.  He invented new and excruciating ways to lose almost weekly.  

Have we forgotten the series of events in a game that went timeout…timeout…punt?  

My favorite (meaning most laughably sad) moment of the Todd Doge era was against OU.  They ran a WR screen to an ALL-AMERICAN wideout, who was being defended one on one by 5’10” Evan Roman, several times in the first half that resulted in big plays.  Every North Texas fan in the stands thought “there’s no way they leave that guy in single coverage in the second half.”  Sure enough, we come out for the second half and Todge left Roman in single coverage.  The WR looked at Roman, looked at Sam Bradford and demonstratively pointed at Roman as if to say “do you see this shit?”  Bradford glanced over, nodded his head (as he chuckled I am sure), called for the snap and threw straight to the wideout on ANOTHER screen…touchdown.  From that moment on I knew Dodge…and our hopes of being good…was toast.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Maybe, but I HIGHLY doubt it.  I wonder if people forget how epically bad he was as a college coach.  He invented new and excruciating ways to lose almost weekly.  

Have we forgotten the series of events in a game that went timeout…timeout…punt?  

My favorite (meaning most laughably sad) moment of the Todd Doge era was against OU.  They ran a WR screen to an ALL-AMERICAN wideout, who was being defended one on one by 5’10” Evan Roman, several times in the first half that resulted in big plays.  Every North Texas fan in the stands thought “there’s no way they leave that guy in single coverage in the second half.”  Sure enough, we come out for the second half and Todge left Roman in single coverage.  The WR looked at Roman, looked at Sam Bradford and demonstratively pointed at Roman as if to say “do you see this shit?”  Bradford glanced over, nodded his head (as he chuckled I am sure), called for the snap and threw straight to the wideout on ANOTHER screen…touchdown.  From that moment on I knew Dodge…and our hopes of being good…was toast.  

After the game, Kevin Sumlin, who was OU’s OC then, said that they couldn’t believe Dodge’s defense was the same as it was at Southlake Carroll and never even changed the scheme. He openly said that the entire staff in the coaches box were laughing out loud all night at the defense we rolled out. 79-10…

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

To give Dickey even more credit, which I know you and others appreciate, when we lost to OU to open the season in 2003, 37-3, I knew we would have a great team. OU was incredible that year, until the very end of their season. They demolished everyone in conference play—then got killed in the Big 12 championship by the Wizard of Wildcats. They beat Texas 65-13, A&M 77-0 (which is the worst beating I’ve ever seen a power teams put on another power team—game EASILY could’ve been 100+ to zero), and Tech 56-24, where they just ran scrubs out there in the second half when Tech scored a couple of trash TDs. 

That UNT team was easily one of the best, if not the best, I saw us roll with. We absolutely annihilated Baylor at home, went 9-3, and had the hardest hitting defense I’ve seen us ever play.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

For the young whipper-snappers that would like a history lesson on that game (from Ohio's POV):

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

You give Evyn Roman too much credit. I saw that guy on campus during the last year of my 2nd stint at NT. He was probably 5’6” but now way was he over 5’10”.

We all know OU laughed at our defense during the game and on the postgame show. I was there, just like you, listening to reports of App State beating Michigan on the bus ride to Norman. That was game 1 of the Dodge era with a trash HS DC. I think you are being a bit presumptuous to say you knew then.

The only difference between that game, the Baylor game I saw at Floyd Casey in 1999, and the beatdown in Austin in ‘06 was the naivety of Dodge thinking his HS DC was actually capable of scheming for a Big12 team. Dodge was going to try to score points regardless of how ugly it got. Dickey was more concerned with trying to run out the clock and keep the score down.

Dickey’s teams get so much credit for defense but folks tend to overlook the fact that he had nothing to do wirh coaching defense. He was an offensive guy. The defense was the handy work of Deloach and Kenny Evans.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

For the young whipper-snappers that would like a history lesson on that game (from Ohio's POV):

Man that game was a beating. We had a canopy and ponchos and I feel like I was still more soaked than if I had just stood out in the rain amd that was just for pregame. Once inside Fouts, I felt like Lt. Dan needed to give my feet a talkin to.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Haha 2