Darrell Dickey update

meangreen11

Darrell Dickey - Offensive Coordinator: As mentioned in the North Texas preview, Dickey was the architect of one of the most successful runs of Mean Green football since the turn of the century, winning multiple Sun Belt championships in a four-year span. He’s bounced around to Utah State, New Mexico, and Texas State since then, and teamed up with Barry Odom to help turn Memphis into the current G5 powerhouse it is today. His offensive prowess with the blue Tigers was enough to impress Fisher and he’s been OC of the Aggies since 2018. His Memphis teams moved a lot faster, mind you, but the concepts are similar to Fisher: find a stud running back, get him the ball in every facet possible, and find a quarterback that can reliably connect on down-field shots. Regardless of pace, Dickey and Fisher know how to coach quality offense.

Darrell Dickey 2018

read more:  https://www.rockmnation.com/2021/6/22/22543003/2021-football-opponent-previews-texas-a-m-aggies

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Who on this board would take Dickey back as our head coach should Seth fail this season?  I would.  Dickey would have the facilities and the backing at UNT.

I would. 

Besides the location, there’s nothing about this program that resembles what Dickey had to work with. It would basically be like him taking a job at a new program. One he’s never seen before. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

Fairly sure this was the bridge after the Black Jersey Game (Think this might also be why he has not been a HC anywhere)

image.png

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I would. 

Besides the location, there’s nothing about this program that resembles what Dickey had to work with. It would basically be like him taking a job at a new program. One he’s never seen before. 

DD is frequently given credit for winning with a lot less resources than NT currently has.   The problem with that analysis, is that nearly all his wins and all his conference wins were against teams that even had less resources.   As Belt teams matured, NT and DD lost their early edge.  

Having said that, he still deserves a lot of credit for the conference winning streak.  It is hard to win that many straight games in any conference.  

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

With regard to the separate question of whether he should be considered as our next HC should SL leave soon . . .

He clearly reinvented himself as a coach after he left here.  Any talk about our "Buick" offense needs to be put to rest.  He led some incredibly potent offenses, particularly during his time at Memphis.  When Jimbo Fisher was hiring his OC when he came over to A&M, he pretty much had his pick of the litter, and he chose DD...that says something.  He's had one of the better offenses in the SEC every year he's been there.  And I don't think, as a HC, he would abandon the defensive priority he had when he was at UNT previously.  I would imagine that he's matured in his ability to manage and deal with people.

But he is now over 60.  Would he still have the fire in his belly to begin a new stint as HC?  How would he recruit?  I'm sure he has developed many new connections over the years, and I think he could bring in a great staff.

If Wren wanted to include DD in candidates to be interviewed, I would respect that decision, even though I think better candidates would be available.  If he actually hired him?  I have such a hard time envisioning that, I'm not sure what my response would be.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

With regard to the separate question of whether he should be considered as our next HC should SL leave soon . . .

He clearly reinvented himself as a coach after he left here.  Any talk about our "Buick" offense needs to be put to rest.  He led some incredibly potent offenses, particularly during his time at Memphis.  When Jimbo Fisher was hiring his OC when he came over to A&M, he pretty much had his pick of the litter, and he chose DD...that says something.  He's had one of the better offenses in the SEC every year he's been there.  And I don't think, as a HC, he would abandon the defensive priority he had when he was at UNT previously.  I would imagine that he's matured in his ability to manage and deal with people.

But he is now over 60.  Would he still have the fire in his belly to begin a new stint as HC?  How would he recruit?  I'm sure he has developed many new connections over the years, and I think he could bring in a great staff.

If Wren wanted to include DD in candidates to be interviewed, I would respect that decision, even though I think better candidates would be available.  If he actually hired him?  I have such a hard time envisioning that, I'm not sure what my response would be.

Not to diminish DDs OC contributions, but Jimbo is the OC and makes the decisions.

I have always found the difference in A&M's pay for the DC and OC curious

$2,100,000 - defensive coordinator/safeties coach Mike Elko

$800,000 - offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Darrell Dickey

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Any animosity DD made public (black jerseys being the big one) was IMO towards RV, and not the fans or our program.

Having said that, some fans took it personally anyways and wish he never comes back.

I liked the guy. If the opportunity was there to rebuild whatever bridges necessary, I'd be okay with it.

Final thought: there are plenty of coaches out there.  This is about as likely as a gorilla with a pen accidentally writing Shakespeare's Hamlet.

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not to diminish DDs OC contributions, but Jimbo is the OC and makes the decisions.

I think between what has happened there, plus his time at Memphis, we have plenty of evidence to confidently say DD is a really good OC.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Elko is considered the best DC in the SEC and in high demand.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

nearly all his wins and all his conference wins were against teams that even had less resources.   As Sunbelt teams matured, NT and DD lost their early edge.  

Exact Same can be said for Seth Littrell. 

different scale but we have more resources than most CUSA teams. We left the sunbelt and joined a worse conference (talent wise)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Any animosity DD made public (black jerseys being the big one) was IMO towards RV, and not the fans or our program.

Having said that, some fans took it personally anyways and wish he never comes back.

I liked the guy. If the opportunity was there to rebuild whatever bridges necessary, I'd be okay with it.

Final thought: there are plenty of coaches out there.  This is about as likely as a gorilla with a pen accidentally writing Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Agree with all the above 

• Upvote 1

I would take him back. 

Name a coach that has done more (or even as much) since he left...don't worry, I'll wait. 

And let's not forget that, when he rattled off four straight conference titles, North Texas was BEYOND the bottom of the barrel when it came to D1 football.  Apogee doesn't get built without that run, period.  When those who are less than 60 years old think of their favorite players the list goes something like this:  Brandon Kennedy, Jamario Thomas, Cody Spencer, Patrick Cobbs, Johnny Quinn, Jonas Buckles...remind me, who was their coach??? 

If we want to keep playing the "well, his accomplishments aren't impressive when compared with the rest of the college football world" game, while conveniently forgetting that everyone outside of the University of Idaho (including most high schools), could boast better financial support and facilities please spare me.  Have we forgotten that game days required generator rentals just to turn the lights on?   Anyone wanna pee in a trough or step over the armies of crickets again?   Remember when the FRONT row of our stadium was 30 yards from the field...I do, and my eyes aren't what they used to be so luckily we have upgraded.  How about the athletic center with the decent weight room and training room...oh wait, he didn't have that to use as a recruiting tool. 

All that MF'er has done since he left is show that he is fully capable of "exciting" offense when he has the horses to run it and kept an OC job in the SEC.  You know, the same SEC that can literally pick ANY coach they want, from pretty much any other conference, and money whip them into jumping ship. 

Oh, and we wear quite a few black jerseys these days. 

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 7

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

No way, he was a good coach, but with loads of issues.

I think it was abhorrent that he was put into the NT HOF.   Character should count.   He basically fired himself at NT.

He IMO is a great example of a good assistant coach that just couldn't cut it as the head coach.  

This

• Upvote 1