Why Trautwein left UNT

7 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

Nothing wrong with this. Kudos to DeLong for helping develop her to the point that she's wanted by the top program in the NCAA.

If this was happening in football (if Bama was picking up grads from UNT) it means we're doing something right 

And Kudos for Tracey Kee on finding and signing Hope to come play at UNT!

Let’s all take the high road here and wish Hope the best at OU!

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 2:10 PM, eulessismore said:

I think the added value of a master's from a different school than the bachelor's is probably the most unarguable point you've made. Are there UNT programs outside the College of Music which prefer a UNT grad over one from almost any other university? Other than for programs in which we have led, such as emergency management, I doubt there are many.

No, I was certainly not making the point that other grad schools were better or worse than NT.

The point is that having a post-grad degree from a different college than the bachelor degree is the best tactic for future jobs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

SMU still seems to forget what comes up eventually goes back down.

After 50 years of following UNT while reading & witnessing firsthand SMU arrogance, they still seem to forget how the top schools of the late, great SWC still despise their very presence & (as always) their unbridled arrogance.  

Did we gain anything by demolishing SMU at fabulous Apogee Stadium as seen in the video of a prior thread?   No, I’d say we didn’t.  We need to replace them in our future schedules with regional P5 schools or national football programs like Army or BYU.  We’ve already played most of that group for home games in decades past before.  Just sayin’...

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 6/19/2021 at 2:36 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Along this line I wonder how often a player who might be considered on of their schools greatest players transfers out? Should a player who finishes their career at another school be in a schools HOF? Things like this make me appreciate Mason more and more.

On 6/19/2021 at 3:36 PM, GrandGreen said:

After everything that Hope accomplished on behalf of NT, I find some of your views preposterous. 

Sure she is going to OKlahoma to experience the height of big time softball.  How many athletes at NT would leave for an offer from UT or OU?  Hint, probably most of them.  

That is the issue with the current transfer policy, not just the extra year this time; but allowing an one time transfer with no penalty.   It is and is going to continue to let P5's raid G5's at will. 

Back to Trautwein, I think most students know or should know that a graduate degree means more if it a different institution than where the bachelor degree was earned.  

Maybe we should put a lot more restrictions on the HOF, like you have to graduate which would eliminate the biggest name and a lot others.  

Trautwein is and should be a shoo-in for the NT HOF.  It is what an athlete accomplished at NT, and it should not be anything else.  

She did not pick OU for the graduate school I guarantee you that. She’s going there to play softball. It says more about our “HOF” that we would have a player in there at the top of her game chose to play somewhere else instead of building something for the next generation. It’s her decision wish her luck, but I’m not going to sit here and be overjoyed because I’m pretty sure during the season she was being contacted and that doesn’t portray a player that was “all in” when her teammates needed her to be. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

She did not pick OU for the graduate school I guarantee you that. She’s going there to play softball. It says more about our “HOF” that we would have a player in there at the top of her game chose to play somewhere else instead of building something for the next generation. It’s her decision wish her luck, but I’m not going to sit here and be overjoyed because I’m pretty sure during the season she was being contacted and that doesn’t portray a player that was “all in” when her teammates needed her to be. 

Amen.  The NCAA better watch out because fans are starting to get sick of the me me me generation.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Amen.  The NCAA better watch out because fans are starting to get sick of the me me me generation.

Transfers are alright if they are incoming and evil incarnate if they are leaving.

The NCAA, I believe, has come to the conclusion that if athletes start suing them for unfair restriction of movement; they will lose.  They lost the NIL case, and are probably aware the court is going to back individual rights to the absolute detriment of competition.  The one time transfer without penalty is another rule to appease the players and courts. 

Athletes are not any difference than then they have been for decades.   There have always been a great number that were recruited with illegal benefits.  Now it is just within the rules. 

There are only a handful of colleges that actually make money on college football.  The majority of athletics  are funded by student tuition and fees.   I can see a student revolt coming when they realize some of these players are becoming very wealthy from NIL deals and any pretense of being amateurs is gone.    

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

Isn't this a little hyperbolic? She's been here her entire regular eligibility, but you're suggesting that one extra year in Denton would have been the building block?

if not for COVID, she would not have this extra year to play, she did everything at UNT and got her degree, we could not ask for more.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

18 hours ago, greenminer said:

Isn't this a little hyperbolic? She's been here her entire regular eligibility, but you're suggesting that one extra year in Denton would have been the building block?

I’m reasonable in the real world and with real issues. I wouldn’t be on here if I wanted to be reasonable about sports. I just like North Texas’ all time great athletes to stay but I guess I should just adopt the just be grateful they were here mentality that so many traumatized North Texas fans have.   😅

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I’m reasonable in the real world and with real issues. I wouldn’t be on here if I wanted to be reasonable about sports. I just like North Texas’ all time great athletes to stay but I guess I should just adopt the just be grateful they were here mentality that so many traumatized North Texas fans have.   😅

I don't think wanting her to stay is unreasonable.  I think it's weird to suggest that the bonus COVID year was the building block for our program, the previous 4 were not, and Traut has abandoned that opportunity and set us back "a generation."

Good grief! She was here for four years! Did none of that matter? Would any of us be paying attention to this if she never threw that no-hitter in year four, and then was transferring to KU? IMO, if anyone is adopting anything, y'all are taking on a victim mentality here.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, greenminer said:

I don't think wanting her to stay is unreasonable.  I think it's weird to suggest that the bonus COVID year was the building block for our program, the previous 4 were not, and Traut has abandoned that opportunity and set us back "a generation."

Good grief! She was here for four years! Did none of that matter? Would any of us be paying attention to this if she never threw that no-hitter in year four, and then was transferring to KU? IMO, if anyone is adopting anything, y'all are taking on a victim mentality here.

Whoa, whoa, I didn’t say it set us back a generation. This program still has a lot…a lot to accomplish. But whatever I’m over it and I’m done spitting hairs. Let’s welcome Ashley Peters! Transfer from Purdue 😅🤷🏽‍♂️

E7D75C4F-994B-4687-8DDE-DCF5FE019496.jpeg

• Thanks 1