Why Trautwein left UNT

"I'm excited to join Oklahoma softball because of the people and culture," Trautwein said in the press release. "In the past when playing against OU, they have always been a class-act program with players who genuinely love the game.”

read more: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/oklahoma/.amp/softball/oklahoma-softball-announces-portal-addition

Edited by Coach Andy Mac
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 7

32 minutes ago, greenminer said:

SPOILER: The article does not say she left Denton because of people and culture.  It says she chose OU because of their people and culture.

If she chose to leave UNT to transfer to OU due to their people and culture doesn't that imply that UNT's lack thereof was why she left? 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, meangreen11 said:

If she chose to leave UNT to transfer to OU due to their people and culture doesn't that imply that UNT's lack thereof was why she left? 

It's entirely possible she would have said that about anywhere she landed.  I would have.  It means you found a good fit.  it doesn't mean you hated where you came from.

There seems to be a ton of people thinking that a graduate transferring means there was something wrong with the original relationship.  I don't know where this comes from, or why it's so hard to grasp that the NCAA essentially grants them a freebie year to go try something new without penalty.  If you had an opportunity to play one more season, and do it for a national title at a different school, go for it!

EDIT: One more possibility is that we aren't a good fit, and that doesn't necessarily mean we are doing anything wrong.  I would be doubtful of this.  Hope was in Denton since 2018, also the same year as DeLong's hiring.  If there was some kind of disconnect, seems weird to sit on it for 3+ years before making a change.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

59 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I wish there was some way to pull NCAA data, look at every single person who ever played as a graduate, and see if they did it at their original school or a new one.

Might see some interesting trends.

Along this line I wonder how often a player who might be considered on of their schools greatest players transfers out? Should a player who finishes their career at another school be in a schools HOF? Things like this make me appreciate Mason more and more.

• Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Along this line I wonder how often a player who might be considered on of their schools greatest players transfers out? Should a player who finishes their career at another school be in a schools HOF? Things like this make me appreciate Mason more and more.

I'm awful at tact, so I'm going to continue to get downvotes for talking about this, but I find It interesting.  Fun with hypotheticals:

Cobbs is one of our all-time beloved loyalists.  What if he graduated the same year he led the country in rushing, then was offered by USC or an SEC school?
Same with Quinn? Or Mason?
...is it so painful to imagine them playing that card?

...we as fans are extremely loyal to our dream school.  A lot of athletes are loyal to...their sport.  To playing for free.  Opportunities to play at the highest level and pursue The League.  That pursuit comes FIRST, to climb the ladder and open the doors of change.  At the end of the day, the school is secondary to that pursuit, but that doesn't mean they are not thankful.  Or that there was something wrong with the previous relationship.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I'm awful at tact, so I'm going to continue to get downvotes for talking about this, but I find It interesting.  Fun with hypotheticals:

Cobbs is one of our all-time beloved loyalists.  What if he graduated the same year he led the country in rushing, then was offered by USC or an SEC school?
Same with Quinn? Or Mason?
...is it so painful to imagine them playing that card?

...we as fans are extremely loyal to our dream school.  A lot of athletes are loyal to...their sport.  To playing for free.  Opportunities to play at the highest level and pursue The League.  That pursuit comes FIRST, to climb the ladder and open the doors of change.  At the end of the day, the school is secondary to that pursuit, but that doesn't mean they are not thankful.  Or that there was something wrong with the previous relationship.

Each person has to make their own choice and that's fine for them. Our HOF is about as watered down as it can be, but I personally would prefer if they moved on that they not be a part of it. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

After everything that Hope accomplished on behalf of NT, I find some of your views preposterous. 

Sure she is going to OKlahoma to experience the height of big time softball.  How many athletes at NT would leave for an offer from UT or OU?  Hint, probably most of them.  

That is the issue with the current transfer policy, not just the extra year this time; but allowing an one time transfer with no penalty.   It is and is going to continue to let P5's raid G5's at will. 

Back to Trautwein, I think most students know or should know that a graduate degree means more if it a different institution than where the bachelor degree was earned.  

Maybe we should put a lot more restrictions on the HOF, like you have to graduate which would eliminate the biggest name and a lot others.  

Trautwein is and should be a shoo-in for the NT HOF.  It is what an athlete accomplished at NT, and it should not be anything else.  

• Upvote 10
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 4

31 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Each person has to make their own choice and that's fine for them. Our HOF is about as watered down as it can be, but I personally would prefer if they moved on that they not be a part of it. 

I like the idea of including eligibility if they finished a degree here.

Don't forget among all this transfer crap going on that (aside from this one time COVID ruling) we are still under the umbrella of the 5 years to play 4 clock.

If the graduate transfer is at your school, and just comes to play the one year and then leaves (not finishing the graduate degree), then maybe no HOF eligibility.  If they stay in school and finish the graduate degree, I'm okay with it.

Just throwing that out there.  WIth every rule, it seems like there should be an exception.  I think regardless of longevity, Jamario's freshman year is HOF-worthy.  Give consideration for that level of play even if they leave after a year.  Thankfully, Thomas stayed.

Or maybe a player has a HOF-worthy 2 years, then an injury takes the sport away from them.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Just throwing that out there.  WIth every rule, it seems like there should be an exception.  I think regardless of longevity, Jamario's freshman year is HOF-worthy.  Give consideration for that level of play even if they leave after a year.  Thankfully, Thomas stayed.

Agree with Jamario - When a player does what he did in a season, yes he is worthy. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

After everything that Hope accomplished on behalf of NT, I find some of your views preposterous. 

Sure she is going to OKlahoma to experience the height of big time softball.  How many athletes at NT would leave for an offer from UT or OU?  Hint, probably most of them.  

That is the issue with the current transfer policy, not just the extra year this time; but allowing an one time transfer with no penalty.   It is and is going to continue to let P5's raid G5's at will. 

Back to Trautwein, I think most students know or should know that a graduate degree means more if it a different institution than where the bachelor degree was earned.  

Maybe we should put a lot more restrictions on the HOF, like you have to graduate which would eliminate the biggest name and a lot others.  

Trautwein is and should be a shoo-in for the NT HOF.  It is what an athlete accomplished at NT, and it should not be anything else.  

I agree.

Hope was a involved student-athlete at UNT, was named the CUSA Community Spirit Student of the Year, and graduated from UNT.  I don't see any discontent with UNT, but the opportunity to compete at a higher level.  I believe I read she had the goal of playing professional softball.  If so, going to Oklahoma is a step in getting to that goal.

I think she made a tremendous contribution to UNT an wish her well.  Send us all the athletes like her you want and we will benefit.

And, yes, she should go into the Hall of Fame.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

don't see any discontent with UNT, but the opportunity to compete at a higher level.

Question to all:  When will UNT be considered “a higher level”?  And I’m not talking about a player transferring to UNT from some “uT-Tyler” level program.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Question to all:  When will UNT be considered “a higher level”?  And I’m not talking about a player transferring to UNT from some “uT-Tyler” level program.

A current number 1 ranking and 5 National ships since 2000 would be an excellent start.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Sarah Fuller starting goalkeeper for Vanderbilt (last season’s SEC champs)  Grad student: Could have stayed but wants to come back home!

• Upvote 4

She graduated with a Bachelor's from UNT, and is transferring to OU to play one more year (due to COVID) and pursue her Master's. Why so much whining, it is not a knock on UNT. If not for COVID and the idiots at the NCAA giving everyone a 5th/6th year, this would be a non-issue. 

Why do so many have to piss on her parade because she is choosing to go elsewhere to pursue her Master's after getting a UNT DEGREE!!!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Nothing wrong with this. Kudos to DeLong for helping develop her to the point that she's wanted by the top program in the NCAA.

If this was happening in football (if Bama was picking up grads from UNT) it means we're doing something right 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

(This epistle is not for the teachers college crowd, petite petunias or the squeamish)

OU, SMU & RED CHINA! 🤢
(Plus....the following is the new 1’st chapter of “War & Peace”).

❇️🦅❇️Hope Trautwein said “OU extended a hand” for her to transfer so did they contact her first?  If so, is recruiting aimed at athletes who are already situated at their original schools now allowed?  
Honestly, I have no idea on the ruling. Rules change daily. Look at Washington where some politicians  don’t follow their own legislative rules better known as laws. 

🦅 I do hope for Hope Trautwein the very best, though, because it was really a fun run while she was here. Look at the national publicity which you cannot put a price on that her amazing NCAA record-breaking feat gave to Mean Green softball &  athletics in general?  It was an uncanny week of recognition with local, regional & national interviews galore.
Thanks, Hope. We’ll continue to follow you in Boomer Sooner Country! 

S🔴M🔵U......The SMU part of this post is predicated solely on what Sonny Dykes has said about portal recruiting.  It totally disappointed me because prior to it I had some semblance of respect for him. Even knowing that Seth Littrell & Dykes are friends. 
 SD’s quote is at the bottom of this page.  

NOW.....is there any over/under on if there were portal shenanigans on behalf of SMU with the recruiting of UNT’s Trey Siggers? He left UNT with a back-handed slap at UNT which almost  seemed as if it were scripted by an SMU Coach.  Trust me, SMU knows & uses all the tricks in recruiting.

SMU & Siggers?  Was it a raunchy recruiting in a smoke-filled back room scene with SMU symbolically raping UNT?  We’ll never know at UNT because we won’t pursue it & that’s because some in Denton don’t think UNT football can exist w/o SMU on our football schedule for which to that I say......🗣HORSE SHIT! 💩 

••• COME ON, NORTH TEXAS, AT SOME POINT, WE NEED TO GET OUR COLLECTIVE HEADS OUT OF THE DARK STINKY CREVICES OF OUR BODIES OR......when it concerns SMU, should UNT just lay down on our backs & to quote Former Student & Aggie as well as a once Texas gubernatorial candidate Clayton  Williams who said:  “While getting raped—just lay back & enjoy the inevitable?”😱   

On the Hilltop they really do love playing “whose your daddy” with UNT, don’t they & some of our elect seem to not object to it.  After 50 years of following all this I can now say—I object.  

My question has always been—how many losses did UNT incur from a University Park intercollegiate professional football team when they didn’t get caught buying players?  

🔺🔹A more relevant question for today is:  What is a G5 SMU playing for or what is their true objective?  Besides a half empty Ford Stadium even with an occasional ranked team, do they think that with their always anemic turnstile numbers that any P5 conference would ever want them?  That is a classic delusion for Pony fandom. 💚🖤💚 I still say because of our various constituencies  (burgeoning enrollment, alumnus numbers, etc) that UNT still has much more upside than SMU will ever have & I think many of the Pony’s elect would “privately” agree. Key word is “privately.” 

So......is it Deja vu all over again?  I mean come on North Texas, look at Sonny Dykes attitude toward Portal recruiting? It’s very telling. (Again, see his quote at the below bottom) Hasn’t that been the typical SMU attitude even before their first Death Penalty? I say, uh, first DP because won’t there eventually be a 2’nd?  🙄

🗣Upon further review after decades of following all this, I really don’t want SMU on our future schedule (even in tiddlywinks or competitive basket-weaving).  As a 10 year follower of UH  football & basketball in the 1960’s, the Coogs never had to have the SWC Rice Owls on their schedule & they did just fine. 

I don’t think SMU ever intends to play fair in anything & now they’re apparently doing it in recruiting again.  AD Wren Baker should tell SMU we’re merely going in a different direction conducive to a growing Texas public university & then just drop SMU off the schedule.  Do that no matter how well the game draws in Denton or Dallas.  
Please tell me we have more pride than to let SMU dictate what future conference we can be in or our future in anything, but will we continually say to SMU—“whatever pleases you, Daddy?” I say put a stirrup on their flank & move on.  No public university has anything in common with a private religious affiliated one as it is —especially the ones in the Lone Star State. 

At UNT, we can find a better & more honest opponent than a G5 SMU & we should keep it at a P5 level. No Texas spare college football programs on our schedule if possible. Why subject ourselves to more football sinking spells by doing that plus that would  be the teachers college way out, wouldn’t it? 
•••A home & home Army schedule would draw well at Apogee. So would any P5 in the Southwest. Even a BYU would create a standing-room-only scenario at fabulous Apogee Stadium with all the DFW area Latter Day Saints around.  

❇️🦅❇️ I REALLY HATE THIS....but it sounds to me like SMU is going back to their old riverboat gambling recruiting ways.   Remember SMU Death Penalty #1 in the 80’s? How nationally pathetic that situation was with that SMU scandal going all the way to the Texas Governor’s mansion in Austin?  So can we expect an SMU DP#2 coming to a theatre near you?  (Never say never when it concerns SMU). 

Just like Biden thinks he can get warm & cozy & do deals with atheistic, mass-murdering Red China (who also never plays by the freakin’ rules) just simply remove SMU off our future schedule & let’s show them that even a Texas public university (with not one NCAA violation ever) located in Denton, Texas, has much more Integrity than a bunch of apparent back-slid ”MINO’s”—that is...“Methodists In Name Only.” 

🔹🔺Sonny Dykes said, "but ... you got to win and you got a high-pressure job and you have all these things and then all of a sudden, you look up and you go, 'Oh, they didn't punish anybody, and they're not going to punish me. So why not?”  

Can you believe that quote coming from the SMU coach?  With the culture of cheating that apparently still exists at SMU—I can.  

❇️🦅❇️

Plum, you just wrote a thesis on s team you stated should not matter to NT.  Play them and beat them, there is absolutely no reason to drop NT's closest and to some the most despised team in the region.  

SMU has an undeniable  history of cheating, is not a blip on the national radar, but still has beaten NT almost on every occasion.   However, most of those victories were SMU home games and when SMU was in a higher classification of football. 

Despite all it's problems, SMU still is seen as a prestige school and absolutely destroys NT in recruiting.   The biggest reason is they are and have always been in a better conference than NT.  Add in their name recognition, much larger budget, and probably illegal benefits to athletes and they have huge recruiting edges.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Plum, you just wrote a thesis on s team you stated should not matter to NT.  Play them and beat them, there is absolutely no reason to drop NT's closest and to some the most despised team in the region.  

SMU has an undeniable  history of cheating, is not a blip on the national radar, but still has beaten NT almost on every occasion.   However, most of those victories were SMU home games and when SMU was in a higher classification of football. 

Despite all it's problems, SMU still is seen as a prestige school and absolutely destroys NT in recruiting.   The biggest reason is they are and have always been in a better conference than NT.  Add in their name recognition, much larger budget, and probably illegal benefits to athletes and they have huge recruiting edges.

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Then some might wonder how we ever beat SMU at all—even as recent as 2018. SMU recruits off the ghosts of their past—always have.  They have a National Championship now going on almost 100 years ago but few check the SMU home games box scores for attendance in the modern era of the NCAA which shows how few attended Mustang games.  Repeating this, but SMU once hosted the #2 ranked Roger Staubach-led Middies of Navy before an announced crowd of 17,000 in the Cotton Bowl stadium.  

SMU has always been the darlings to what is a very small segment of Dallas. With their latest billboards promo did SMU just discover they were located near Dallas? 
Honestly, back in the day if Dallas had truly ever supported the Ponies they might be in the Big 12 now rather than TCU, Baylor or maybe even Texas Tech. 

Yet I don’t think SMU should be rewarded with any accolades since no one has any idea how many paid players they had when no one was watching; especially when the infractions committee of the NCAA was (not) watching.

SWC old timers will tell you cheating was going on in that conference long before SMU received the Death Penalty.  Some of those Trans Am gifts to recruits to seal the deal as to gain the LOI signature of a blue chip recruit would probably fill a book.   

After 50 years of all this—I no longer will honor or praise a school that has no problem cheating.  That recent quote from the SMU coach on portal recruiting still  floors me & tells me that school on the Hilltop off Mockingbird Lane should still have a high-powered microscope on their recruiting practices. 
Just sayin’...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

On 6/19/2021 at 2:36 PM, GrandGreen said:

I think the added value of a master's from a different school than the bachelor's is probably the most unarguable point you've made. Are there UNT programs outside the College of Music which prefer a UNT grad over one from almost any other university? Other than for programs in which we have led, such as emergency management, I doubt there are many.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2