Worth a Shot?

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not really necessary anymore with the addition of Wright and every minute he played (for 1 year) would dampen Abou's development.   

Need another wing who can play defense & hit from distance.

I see Wright as more of a PF/4 and not competing with Abou for playing time.  We don't have any depth at the center position behind Abou.

18 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I see Wright as more of a PF/4 and not competing with Abou for playing time.  We don't have any depth at the center position behind Abou.

We didn’t bring Wright, a 3-year starter at Washington, in here to come off the bench and we’re certainly not moving Bell to the bench. Those are your starters at the 4 and 5.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

The game has changed a lot lately.   The idea of a true Shaq-like Center just camped out on the block isn't happening anymore.   I think @BillySee58 had a breakdown of minutes shared at the 5 last year between Zach, Abou, & Thomas Bell, who will play that role in a "small lineup" sometimes.

Wright will definitely be playing that shot-blocking, rim-protecting role defensively though (he's #6 on UW's all-time blocks list).  He pulled down 113 boards last year as well.   

I wouldn't expect a ton of minutes with both Wright & Ousmane on the floor at the same time, unless there's some kind of mismatch Coach McCasland is exploiting.    Adding another big 5 who can't really stretch the floor would just add another cog to those minutes.   

And with the way today's game is played, that athletic wing man who can shoot is very necessary.  Right now, we have Bell, and depending on situations, maybe Rubin in that role along with the 2 new Freshmen, Stone & Scott.    And, like I said, depending on the lineups, you might have Rubin at more of a 2 (or even bringing the ball up the floor like a PG), while Bell might be playing more of a 4/5.   The need for an experienced SF/Wing is much higher than a big center.

But hey, if he's interested, I hope Coach McCasland kicks the tires!

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The game has changed a lot lately.   The idea of a true Shaq-like Center just camped out on the block isn't happening anymore.   I think @BillySee58 had a breakdown of minutes shared at the 5 last year between Zach, Abou, & Thomas Bell, who will play that role in a "small lineup" sometimes.

Wright will definitely be playing that shot-blocking, rim-protecting role defensively though (he's #6 on UW's all-time blocks list).  He pulled down 113 boards last year as well.   

I wouldn't expect a ton of minutes with both Wright & Ousmane on the floor at the same time, unless there's some kind of mismatch Coach McCasland is exploiting.    Adding another big 5 who can't really stretch the floor would just add another cog to those minutes.   

And with the way today's game is played, that athletic wing man who can shoot is very necessary.  Right now, we have Bell, and depending on situations, maybe Rubin in that role along with the 2 new Freshmen, Stone & Scott.    And, like I said, depending on the lineups, you might have Rubin at more of a 2 (or even bringing the ball up the floor like a PG), while Bell might be playing more of a 4/5.   The need for an experienced SF/Wing is much higher than a big center.

But hey, if he's interested, I hope Coach McCasland kicks the tires!

I think Mccasland is fine with his 5 being a paint guy who doesn’t stretch the floor, just not so much the 4 and 5. And I do think we’ll see Wright play next to Ousmane.

If Wright plays about 30 minutes and Ousmane is playing 20, even if Wright is playing the 5 for all 20 minutes that Ousmane is off the court, that would still leave 10 minutes where they are on the court together. And Bell would never have to play any minutes at the 5 in this scenario but by playing 30 minutes himself, that would be all 80 minutes from the 4 and 5 position between those 3 players. Something like this:

5 minutes - 20 for Wright, 20 for Ousmane

4 minutes - 30 for Bell, 10 for Wright

That’s basically how it was done in 19-20 with Geu, Simmons, and Bell. Geu and Simmons started the game together then after that they would mostly be staggered with each other taking turns at the 5.

• Upvote 2