June Commitments Are Lagging

https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/Article/june-college-football-recruiting-commitment-pace-166571885/

Even conservative estimates say there will be 500 fewer scholarships handed out to high schoolers this cycle as a result. And with the spots being more limited than ever, schools have to be more judicious in giving them out.

“Running second right now isn’t always the worst thing, because the school the kid probably wants to go to may not have room," one Power 5 coach said. "At this point we go from two to one.”

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

By my count our roster currently has 82 players on scholarship and only 8 are seniors. So if all of our players who have eligibility remaining come back for 2022, we’d only have 11 scholarships to give out.

On the flip side, by my count we have 18 sophomores and 48 freshmen (16 redshirt, 32 true) on scholarship for this season. This repercussion of giving everyone an extra year because of COVID is going to be a factor for the next five years, since the entire 2020 and 2021 classes are all true freshmen with 5 years to play 4 right now.

With so many players so close to each other in age, there will have to be a bunch of that group transferring out. Especially if they are stuck behind players of the same age.

So there should be much more than 11 scholarships available for this class. But until we know more, I wouldn’t expect 15+
commits in place before the season starts like we were used to seeing pre-COVID.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

53 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

By my count our roster currently has 82 players on scholarship and only 8 are seniors. So if all of our players who have eligibility remaining come back for 2022, we’d only have 11 scholarships to give out.

On the flip side, by my count we have 18 sophomores and 48 freshmen (16 redshirt, 32 true) on scholarship for this season. This repercussion of giving everyone an extra year because of COVID is going to be a factor for the next five years, since the entire 2020 and 2021 classes are all true freshmen with 5 years to play 4 right now.

With so many players so close to each other in age, there will have to be a bunch of that group transferring out. Especially if they are stuck behind players of the same age.

So there should be much more than 11 scholarships available for this class. But until we know more, I wouldn’t expect 15+
commits in place before the season starts like we were used to seeing pre-COVID.

Have you heard of any talks about having some kind of NCAA waiver for the next 4 years to accommodate the eligibility freeze of 2020/21?   Seems like that kind of thought would have entered their minds prior to extending the freeze.
I don't think Title IX would be affected since it would apply to all student athletes... just does the AD have the funds for the additional scholarships they would be carrying the next 4 years (which, if that's a problem, we shouldn't be a D1 school).

• Skeptical Eagle 1

32 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Have you heard of any talks about having some kind of NCAA waiver for the next 4 years to accommodate the eligibility freeze of 2020/21?   Seems like that kind of thought would have entered their minds prior to extending the freeze.
I don't think Title IX would be affected since it would apply to all student athletes... just does the AD have the funds for the additional scholarships they would be carrying the next 4 years (which, if that's a problem, we shouldn't be a D1 school).

I haven’t heard any further accommodations. Everything so far has just been to the benefit of players already at D1 schools last year and to the detriment of players who were in high school last year. And to the detriment of the marginal players. 

But from what I have seen, teams are pretty much still operating with 85 or less scholarships even though they can go over. But essentially only one senior class went out the door between last season and the end of this upcoming season despite two freshman classes entering/set to enter.

It’s an absolute mess and really screwing over the 2021 and 2022 high school class (worse for 2022).

One thing that could help is finding a way to not count all the D1 transfers towards the 25 scholarship/class limit. If a team loses 15 to the portal and wants to replace by bringing in 15 from the portal (similar to what we just did), then you only have 10 spots for high schoolers in your class.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ttunt1970 said:

This somewhat recruiting for  Billy or Jay d the official sight roster shows the transfer lineman  from Arkansas sad OLnot DL could one of you clarify also if eligible this season with how years left 

Thanks

I think that’s a typo. He’s a defensive lineman with 4 years of eligibility left. Every transfer this season will be eligible immediately.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

NCAA will not be adding scholarships.  The burden on schools lower than Most D1 Schools financially would crumble most universities.  I imagine you will see schools using the non-renewal of scholarships as each scholarship is a 1 year scholarship now.  It will be a slippery slope as you don't renew a kids scholarship and their HS/JUCO coach find out unless there is a reason the student athlete brought upon themselves then you will be having some ticked off coaches.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This is turning into a small window of opportunity for G5 schools to pick up HS players a little higher caliber than they might ordinarily have been able to. The question becomes will those players stay or transfer out?

I was thinking to post something similar. If we play our cards right, we could easily land our highest rated class. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This is turning into a small window of opportunity for G5 schools to pick up HS players a little higher caliber than they might ordinarily have been able to. The question becomes will those players stay or transfer out?

I think it’s clear - if you are a high school player and perform at a G5 you will be targeted by high level conference schools.  It’s really sad because tampering is against the rules but the NCAA is scared to death to do anything about it.

8 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

I think it’s clear - if you are a high school player and perform at a G5 you will be targeted by high level conference schools.  It’s really sad because tampering is against the rules but the NCAA is scared to death to do anything about it.

The NCAA will not do anything to P5 conferences for fear they will leave the NCAA (which is going to happen anyway)